Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Specialized Diverge owners

Old 06-02-16, 01:31 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blackthorne1234
IMO the diverge falls on the small side. Ever since the store I bought it from recommended me to get a 58cm frame (and I went with the 56" as it felt 'right') I've been having nagging doubts about getting the right size. On faster rides I feel more cramped than my 54cm road bike, however I justify my decision by the increased comfort on longer gravel rides. Makes sense right?
If you normally ride a 54cm, 58cm seems a tall order to be correct. If you post your height, inseam, etc, those of us who have Diverge's could give you reference based on our own dimensions and frame size.
Old 06-03-16, 09:33 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Hey thanks for the input all. I am torn between the Expert and the expert x1. I have and like Ultegra, but would like to try SRAM. Just not so sure of the one by on the SRAM will suite me, and I don't have the opportunity to try it for a long ride. Replacement SRAM components cost a lot more than the Ultegra. This will be my first disc brake bike, and I have read the Ultegra 785 are a bit better than the Force 1, but the Force one felt good (dry), so that is a wash I think. I like the black better than the olive green color, for what that's worth.

I am a bit short in the legs. My inseam is 31" or so and my height a little over 5'11". The effective reach of the 56cm Diverge would be about the same as my current ride, and the seat would be a couple of cm lower than my current (Felt F55X 55cm). I got to try The 56cm in the parking lot and it felt right sized to me, what do you think?
Old 06-03-16, 11:48 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There are two things that have always put me off getting a carbon bike. First is skinny tires. Less than 32mm is a no-go in my book. Second is size. But the Diverge has two models that come in 64cm size, with dimensions exactly matching my custom steel. Nobody else comes close.

Alass, I just got the steel (can't justify it to the SO) and the bare frame is not available in 64cm. I hate getting a bike then changing a bunch of parts.
Old 06-05-16, 09:03 PM
GeneO 

Goin for the black 56cm Expert Carbon Ultegra. Going to take a few weeks, but I am getting s good deal.
Old 06-05-16, 09:46 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Question for those who have the carbon version: is this a crazy stiff frame and fork, or more on the tuned flex side?
Old 06-06-16, 05:55 PM
pseudoware

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing really to conribute, except a pic.

Old 06-09-16, 06:52 PM
Maconi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love mine.

Likes For Maconi:
Old 06-10-16, 06:29 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Goin for the black 56cm Expert Carbon Ultegra. Going to take a few weeks, but I am getting s good deal.
Congrats. The black Expert is extremely rare. I went with white for mine, but saw them both in person and the black is very sharp.
Old 06-14-16, 09:23 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Maconi
Love mine.

Like the red color! Which Diverge is this?
Old 06-14-16, 05:51 PM
Maconi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Like the red color! Which Diverge is this?
Thanks.

It's the 2015 Comp Carbon (if I remember correctly, can't find it on their site anymore though, their old archive was better IMO).
Old 06-18-16, 12:46 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Congrats. The black Expert is extremely rare. I went with white for mine, but saw them both in person and the black is very sharp.
You are right about that. Couldn't get a black one for this years model in my size and I don't want white. I am going to give the Expert X1 a shot.
Old 06-18-16, 12:49 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
You are right about that. Couldn't get a black one for this years model in my size and I don't want white. I am going to give the Expert X1 a shot.
What size are you? Kozy's has the Black in stock in 54,56,58. If that doesn't work call Specialized. They can give you a very accurate estimate of when they will get more into the distribution network.
Old 06-18-16, 03:15 PM
GeneO 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am going to give the X1 a shot.
Old 06-21-16, 06:50 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am going to give the X1 a shot.
I do like my Expert X1, for what it's worth I also much preferred the dark green and beige color scheme versus the all-black Expert.

Hope you like it as well!

Geoff
Old 06-22-16, 07:58 AM
GeneO 

Thanks Geoff. It should be on its way.
Old 06-23-16, 01:17 PM
masterchief

Bikes: 2016 All City Macho Man, 2017 Trek 520, 1997 GT Karakoram

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
So after a couple of months of ownership, I sold my Diverge.

The brakes were one of the main reasons I went with this model, but I didn't like them. They were underpowered, even after upgrading the pads to Kool Stop, and I don't like the feel in the levers and noise they make when braking.
Up until now I've always either bought a used bike and rebuild it myself or simply build it from ground, so this was the first complete bike I've bought from an lbs. I've since regretted it, because I felt like I didn't "knew it" and it all just felt wrong and like I made the decision to buy it too fast.

I've learned some good things from owning the bike though:
- The geometry and fit was almost spot on, and just what I was looking for
- Wider tires on a road bike is definitely the way to go (I've kept the Panaracer Gravelking 32c file tread tires)
- The saddle was perfect (I've kept this too)
- The Tiagra 4700 group is nice

I've just recieved a confirmation on an order for a All-City Macho Man frameset (the black/white/blue version), which I will build up with selected parts, the way I like it. It's a more no-nonsense frame with a BSA bottom bracket, canti studs, external cable routing and of course real steel (and I love the colors).

I hope this will be the best of the Diverge combined with the way I know I like my bikes.
Old 06-25-16, 09:52 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It happens

For reference, about the brakes being underpowered, are you on the heavy side, if you don't mind me asking? The brakes on mine are different (SRAM Force 1), and I'm fairly light-weight (145lbs or less), so they have always worked great for me. Although, I'm one of those who've always been 100% satisfied with Ultegra rim brakes, so what do I know

All the best,

Geoff
Old 06-26-16, 02:14 AM
masterchief

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm about 80 kg, so nothing extreme. I think the brakes worked as intended, my expectations where just higher I guess. I had my lbs swap the pads and adjust them a couple of times, but they kept feeling underpowered.

The feel and sound of rim brakes just appeal a lot more to me, they appear smoother and honestly my regular V-brake setup on my commuter has so much better modulation, and power, than the Spyres on the Diverge, so that's why I'm going to give mini v's a shot with the Macho Man. If that doesnt work out for some reason, I know cantis can be great too, they're just a pain in the ass to set up.
Old 06-27-16, 05:26 PM
blackthorne1234

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@masterchief

You are me in reverse. I bought a Macho Man, in bright orange, wanting a fun steel utility bike with disc brakes. I really really tried to love it—there's always a special place for classic steel bikes—but in the end of the day that thing was an overbuilt tank... very stiff and heavy. Not trying to dampen your anticipation for your order... many people seem to love their Macho Men! It just wasn't for me. I sold it and bought a Diverge, in bright orange, which weighed about 6 pounds less. Less weight = more fun.

Question though: about the brakes, couldn't you have just upgraded them? I'm not impressed by the Spyres either, but have you checked out Shimano's hydraulic discs? Those are in a completely different league. I have them on my other road bike and they're absolutely incredible, no rim brake even comes remotely close.
Old 06-28-16, 03:06 AM
masterchief

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blackthorne1234
@masterchief

You are me in reverse. I bought a Macho Man, in bright orange, wanting a fun steel utility bike with disc brakes. I really really tried to love it—there's always a special place for classic steel bikes—but in the end of the day that thing was an overbuilt tank... very stiff and heavy. Not trying to dampen your anticipation for your order... many people seem to love their Macho Men! It just wasn't for me. I sold it and bought a Diverge, in bright orange, which weighed about 6 pounds less. Less weight = more fun.

Question though: about the brakes, couldn't you have just upgraded them? I'm not impressed by the Spyres either, but have you checked out Shimano's hydraulic discs? Those are in a completely different league. I have them on my other road bike and they're absolutely incredible, no rim brake even comes remotely close.
I could have upgraded the Spyres to a hydro setup, and I did consider it, but since there were other things I didnt like about the bike, I was afraid it would just be money out the window before I eventually would sell it - it was too risky.

"Logically" the brake issues, and the press fit bottom bracket that started making ticking noises after 250 km (lbs did fix it, though) was the reasons I didnt want it, but "emotionally" it was just as much the fact that I serverely regretted not building my own bike from the bottom as I had always wanted to do, and thus didnt felt like I knew the Diverge inside out.

Well, enough about my former Diverge, it definitely shouldnt decourage others from buying it - it's a great bike if you're into disc brakes and the latest technologies.
Old 06-30-16, 11:22 PM
GeneO 

Got the X1 this evening. Will finish putting it together tomorrow, Will post some pics, but well, you know what it looks like

Going to CF from AL is another world of care. Won't be able to clean my chain in situ with solvent, so going to get a wipperman connex and an ultrasonic I think. I commute on dirt/limestone trails/gravel, and the limestone powder is just awful on components. Been thinking about Ultrasonic cleaning and I guess this will push me over for that.

This is the first bike I have named. It is manbearpig, so I hope I like it- serially.
Old 07-03-16, 01:37 PM
GeneO 

Took it for a short 27 mi inauguration ride on the trails yesterday.
My biggest concern of the X1 was the 1x11 and how the gaps would affect me. Well I didn't even notice - it is not
like I am on a road racing, so... Brakes worked well. This my first SRAM group and I really like the double tap
and a 1 single shift lever - felt pretty natural; I love my Ultegra but these too. Fit of the 56 cm is just right for
me. The frame is stiff but just the right amount of plush IMO. I know some people hate the seat, but it is nice not
to get the seat rammed up your arse as bad when caught unawares. Look forward to commuting on the trails
with it come Tuesday.

Likes For GeneO:
Old 07-04-16, 11:25 PM
Jofu

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey GeneO, good stuff!

By the way, I ended up replacing my tires with Specialized Trigger Pro 33mm, because I got 3 flats within 1 week of ownership :/

I was nervous about them affecting the ride, but so far I haven't noticed a difference and, more importantly, no more flats in 700+ miles

Geoff
Old 07-05-16, 07:48 AM
GeneO 

Thanks for the heads up Goeff. Unfortunately I haven't been able to ride it since but for 10 mi because of a severe case of crotch rot! Grrrr.
Old 07-05-16, 07:59 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You guys are making me sick reading this...I don't know why I want a diverge so badly.

If I'm happy on a 54 Roubaix, should I look at a 56 Diverge? Someone mentioned they ride a 54 road bike and felt a bit cramped on a 56 Diverge for some reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.