Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Two for $50

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 08:58 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
Two for $50

I was a flipper for many years doing 700+ road bikes and many of them were Cannondale's. Several of these Cannondales I kept for a year or two but all of them went on to others except one a CAD 3- R900 that I have had for 15 years. Sold my house and 99 % of all my bike parts two years ago. Saw this Cannondale on CL for many months. Said it needed chain and rear derailleur. One evening I made a $50 offer as it looked my size and I have lots of new parts just collecting dust. Seller came right back and said OK. Next day I go to sellers house and bike looks like new. He then said here is another bike if you want it,no charge. He bought the bikes and was going to learn bike building but gave up as it was more work than he had thought.
The Cannondale is a 1992 R400 series 3 near mint. Interesting matching black stem and seat post. Chain set brakes and brake levers look like new. Someone bought it and never road it. Somewhere along the years the wheels got changed to Trek Matrix .
The other bike was a Schwinn Fastback aluminum frame carbon fork. It surprised me as it is a very nice bike except for the steel chain set. Nothing like the latest Schwinn junk sold at K Mart..
I cleaned 10 years of grease off it and adjusted rear derailleur. Switched tires with the Cannondale and stuck it back on CL for $50 to get rid of it. Sold it in a hour. Buyer was happy and I had a free Cannondale.
On the Cannondale I put on rear derailleur and chain . Changed out the cassette for a 30 tooth unit. Seat was junk so I changed it out also. Took it out for a quick ride in 30 degree windy weather. It was fun as it was your typical fast climbing Cannondale. The serial number says it is a 55CM frame . I have never seen a 55CM cannondale. 54 and 56cm is what the catalogs show. I forgot to take a picture as it looks now so that will come along tomorrow
EddyR

Old 03-04-20, 12:05 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
Finally took a picture as I have it set up and riding it. Down tube is so fast and simple my wife said are you done already as I went out the door. I was wrong about the size it is a 56 but only 126 spacing. Tried one of my 8ight speed rims and it would not go even with some serious pulling .Serial number says 126 so the idea that all frames in a given year are the same is incorrect.

Love these old Cannondales

Frame paint is like new
Old 03-04-20, 12:37 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Excellent grab, congrats. 👍 Bikes from the 90s don’t get that much love, here in the C&V forum, it seems, but don’t let that mess your mind. 😉 Mine is a ‘95 C’dale Killer V 500, the first year they made them, and I love that thing. 😎
Old 03-04-20, 12:53 PM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
That Cannondale looks great, and for $50 it looks even better.

The Schwinn is an OK too, but it seems anything with "Sport" in its name has lower end components.
Old 03-04-20, 01:01 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
In our defense, we old geezers work with a different time scale, one in which the 90's feel like only yesterday. I have an R900 that I call "my new bike" ....

I like the look of your Cannondale a lot, BTW. The black looks great.