Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shogun Bicycles

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shogun Bicycles

Old 03-05-20, 03:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Edit: These were more of a time trial bicycle, though some people, particularly those who crossed over cycling, used them for triathlons.
Well, they were designed as time trial bikes, no doubt influenced by Moser's hour bike in 1984; but they were marketed to new triathletes.
There was a consumer demand for triathlon bikes in 1985, and makers complied. There was never consumer demand for time trial bikes at sub-elite levels..
Old 03-05-20, 05:38 PM
morri869 

Bikes: 1984 Lotus Classique, 1996 Cannondale T700

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 67 Posts
Here's my Shogun: a 1981 model 2001 touring. It originally came with the first generation Shimano Deore touring group but that is long since gone. I find it funny that the 2001 model apparently preceded the 2000 model that is posted earlier in this thread. Either way, this is a top notch (sports) tourer 👍

Forgive the crud, it is messy commuting weather in Wisconsin right now

​​​​​
​​​​​
Likes For morri869:
Old 03-05-20, 06:08 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Well, they were designed as time trial bikes, no doubt influenced by Moser's hour bike in 1984; but they were marketed to new triathletes.
There was a consumer demand for triathlon bikes in 1985, and makers complied. There was never consumer demand for time trial bikes at sub-elite levels..
There definitely was demand for time trial bicycles at the sub-elite level. Many were sold to the wannabes and the poseurs, who wanted to look cool and give the impression that they were good cyclists. I saw more of them on the street and at unsanctioned club time trials than I saw in triathlons. There's a status associated with owning the latest style, even if it isn't the top model.
Old 03-05-20, 08:08 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Would a top of the line Shogun be on the same level as a top of the line Zunow?

I ask because I have become more interested in Bikes from Japan. The only one I have ever owned was a 1978 Fuji Pro

which was great, but just too big for me.
Old 03-05-20, 08:45 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Shogun bicycles had dozens of model names but, in my memory the top three were the Katana, Ninja and the Samurai. And to the best of my knowledge the Samurai was their top of the line bike.
Old 06-23-23, 05:40 AM
DaveMelb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
A few scans from my collection, including distributor info.
I don't remember seeing many of these - and I've never seen any of those triathlete editions anywhere from any brand, even though lots of brands offered similar models.

Does this guy look too big for that bike or WHAT?!

I still have one of these in my parents garage. I bought it around 1991 when I was in grade 6. Rear wheel is 27inch, can't remember what size the front is. I tried to buy a front tyre and tube a few years ago but it was a rare size.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-23-23 at 07:30 AM.