Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Tires don't need air for months

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 02:23 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

Previously I would get a puncture in a tire approximately every 2 months. I have lost some weight, and now ride much further than before. If punctures are in proportion with distance travelled, I would probably get a puncture approximately every month now, or more often. But I now run tubeless sealant in the tubes. My tires lose very little pressure over months. I may go fully tubeless in the future.

After 5 months, I had a 3 inch (75 mm) nail go into my back tire, into the tube, and out the side of the tube. The holes were big enough for the sealant to not work. Most of the sealant ran out. I got these patched. I did not replace the sealant immediately. After a month, I had a slow leak. I added tubeless sealant. It stopped leaking.

Again, It has been months, and the tires lose very little air.

I could probably go the full life of the tire without adding air (apart from large punctures). I often ride long distances. The tires may last a little over a year. A significant proportion of my riding is on dirt tracks. It seems the tires wear slower on dirt tracks.

These are 26 x 4.0 fat bike tires. So they hold much more air than thin tires. So a small amount of air loss, results in little pressure drop.

So if you want your tires to maintain pressure for a long time, have a fat bike, and run tubeless sealant.