Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

recommendations for wider 26" rims / wheels?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 01-22-21, 05:34 AM
Roundis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My 26" rims are worn and will need replacing soon. It seems there are a lot of cheap rims and wheels available that are around 19mm in internal width, but wider ones (eg >25mm) with a braking surface are less common. I was hoping to run 2.4 or 2.5" tyres, but it looks like setting that up will be quite a bit more expensive. Maybe I can get away with a 2.4" tyre on a narrow rim? It's a fully rigid bike so I figure it would be worth trying bigger tyres. Any thoughts?
Old 01-22-21, 06:01 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 247 Posts
https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_dimensions -- scroll down for Schwalbe's tire / rim combo limits. Keep in mind this is coming from a tire maker who wants to sell you tire no matter your rim. Sheldon Brown's chart is much more conservative.

Going cheap, just ask in the classic & vintage section here. Or a local MTB FaceBook group. Most likely you can get a nearly free set of wheels from someone who is tired of tripping over them his garage. Last summer I picked up a set of 26in wheels and two set of tires with tubes, 8spd cassette included: $50 plus a 25 minute drive. They ended up being much nicer than I expected. They were from the 90s, but hardly used. (.... I also picked up a hardly used set a couple years ago and they were laced way toooo tight, and the side wall ended up splitting / failing after very little use. i ignored the warnings from the rear wheel when a couple of spokes broke...... caveat emptor).

As far as good, wide rims, I have been using a set of Cliff Hangers for a couple years. Going to be a $350 ~ $400 set of wheels. After much use and some mild abuse they remain true and round. I recommend them with 2 thumbs up.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/...iff-hanger-559 - they offer a machined side wall.
My frame only clear a 2.3 in tire, which is what I used for a long & dirty bike tour this summer.

cheers.

Old 01-22-21, 07:39 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Fully rigid so I'm assuming an older mtb? Make sure those wider tires have clearance first!
Old 01-22-21, 10:28 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Fully rigid so I'm assuming an older mtb? Make sure those wider tires have clearance first!
This will be your issue. If you have access to 2.4” tires you can mount them on your 19mm rims and see if they fit into frame. They will probably fit on the rim.

Keep in mind that as you go wider the same width tires very slightly grow in width. If 2.4’s barely fit with your 19mm rims, they may not with 25mm rims.

A fairly inexpensive rim brake rim that has a bit of width are Rhyno Lite and the wider XL’s. However they are not lightweight.

John
Old 01-22-21, 10:31 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I have used 2.4" tires on narrow rims without problems. In theory this can cause the tire to 'squirm' under side loading and possibly make pinch flats more likely, but I never had a problem.

As above, you are more likely to have an issue with clearance in the frame or fork than with fitting on the rim.
Old 01-22-21, 04:31 PM
Roundis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for all the input. Yes, I measured the clearances: I'm fairly sure 2.4" will fit and 2.5" as well but that would be tight. It's a 90's Marin.
Likes For Roundis:
Old 02-13-21, 12:31 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Actually test fit the tires (inflated) on whatever rims you have before going out and buying new rims. 2.4" may fit (depending on how accurate the actual width is...) but I've never personally seen an old MTB fit a 2.5" tire, though I've heard of it.

Sun Rhyno Lite XL is the obvious one that comes to mind. Listed at 29mm outer width and 550g, so not lightweight. There is also the Weinmann AS7X which is available in several colors. 30mm outer width and only 470g, but it's just a basic single-wall rim. I actually bought a pair because they were on some blowout sale and incredibly cheap but I haven't gotten around to building them into wheels yet.