Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Spinergy GX series Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 05:46 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Spinergy GX series Wheels?

Anyone have an opinion or actual experience with the new lineup of Spinergy Gravel wheels? They spec out really good with 24mm inside widths and sub 1,500 gram weights. They are also one of the best values out there @ $599 for the aluminum and $999 for the carbon wheelsets. There's also a 10% coupon I found that helps too. Besides the obvious proprietary pbo spokes, I really don't see a downside. Only other wheelset that appears to be almost as good of a value is the Hunts but they are sold out at the moment. Thoughts???

https://www.spinergy.com/products/gxx
Old 02-08-21, 08:45 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
The website says the wheelset is 1590 grams. I have a LB wheelset that is under 1500 grams but is not as wide as the Spinergy wheels.
I don't have experience with Spinergy but they seem to have some good options.
Old 02-08-21, 08:58 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
The website says the wheelset is 1590 grams. I have a LB wheelset that is under 1500 grams but is not as wide as the Spinergy wheels.
I don't have experience with Spinergy but they seem to have some good options.
The nomenclature is very similar for various models, but the aluminum rimmed GX is listed on the site at 1475g: https://www.spinergy.com/products/gx

The carbon rimmed GXX is the 1590g one.
Old 02-08-21, 09:07 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
[QUOTE=chaadster;21915010]The nomenclature is very similar for various models, but the aluminum rimmed GX is listed on the site at 1475g: https://www.spinergy.com/products/gx

Oh yeah, that looks like a great option at a great price.
Old 02-08-21, 09:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Speaking of the GX width, I have a pair mounted with 35c Herse Bon Jon Pass Extralights which measure out to 37.85mm. The tire sidewall flares out from the rim ever so slightly, and really seems pretty close to an ideal width for a performance-centric tire on that i24 rim.

Of course it’ll carry a much wider tire no-problem, and I think Jan Heine says a more bulbous tire profile is not an issue when coupled with width, which my limited experience running i23s x 47c substantiates, but I’m hedging my bets with i24 x 35c for when the speeds ramp up and lateral forces increase. I’ve not ridden the Spinergy yet, though, so we’ll see if that proves to be true.

35c Bon Jon Pass on i24 Spinergy GX wheel

Last edited by chaadster; 02-08-21 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 02-08-21, 10:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

As another aside, just because I’m sitting here with all the stuff, the weights of the wheels (with factory tape) mounted with AC valves, tires and sealant is 1080g for the front, and 1300g for the rear (w/Shimano freehub body).

Using manufacturer claimed weights of 1475g for wheels and 303g for tires, that leaves a not insubstantial 299g accounted for (in part at least) by sealant, rim tape and valves. These tires did have sidewall pinholes and were warranty replaced by Herse, but I’ve not mounted the replacements yet, and these did take a lot of sealant to set up, maybe close to 100ml per tire as I recall. Probably 200ml of Panaracer Smart Seal weighs around 225g, and the American Classic valves 10g for the pair. Rim tape is the factory fitted stuff; could it weigh 60gm on both wheels?

Anyway, it all serves to remind us that listed weights aren’t everything. Heck...weight isn‘t everything.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-08-21, 11:51 AM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I just built a bike with GX's, but haven't got to ride them much since it conveniently dumped endless snow as soon as said bike was finished. IIRC they were right at the advertised weight out of the box, I was able to mount Pirelli Gravel H tires easily, and they even inflated first try with a regular floor pump and no sealant. I think they look cool with the spoke color options, and Spinergy has at least some history in cycling.

As for how to decide on a budget gravel wheelset (let's say up to $700), you're looking at stuff like the Hunt's, DT Swiss GR 1600 / 1800, HED Emporia, Spinergy GX, and Chinese carbon /w Novatec hubs. Without getting into the alloy vs. carbon debate, I chose the Spinergy wheels because of the cost to weight, they are supposed to be very strong, and they are a US based company. Needing to remove the rim tape to true doesn't concern me too much if it's once a year at most thing, and neither does the low rim profile because aero wheels on a gravel bike are laughable unless you're in it to win it racing with everything else aero optimized, and genuinely need the marginal gain.
Old 02-08-21, 01:06 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by zen_
I just built a bike with GX's, but haven't got to ride them much since it conveniently dumped endless snow as soon as said bike was finished. IIRC they were right at the advertised weight out of the box, I was able to mount Pirelli Gravel H tires easily, and they even inflated first try with a regular floor pump and no sealant. I think they look cool with the spoke color options, and Spinergy has at least some history in cycling.

As for how to decide on a budget gravel wheelset (let's say up to $700), you're looking at stuff like the Hunt's, DT Swiss GR 1600 / 1800, HED Emporia, Spinergy GX, and Chinese carbon /w Novatec hubs. Without getting into the alloy vs. carbon debate, I chose the Spinergy wheels because of the cost to weight, they are supposed to be very strong, and they are a US based company. Needing to remove the rim tape to true doesn't concern me too much if it's once a year at most thing, and neither does the low rim profile because aero wheels on a gravel bike are laughable unless you're in it to win it racing with everything else aero optimized, and genuinely need the marginal gain.
I’d include Easton EA70 AX and Shimano GRX wheelsets in the mix, too, but still the $/g ratio is best for Spinergy. I really wanted to be down with the HED Emporia, but was really intrigued by the Spinergy tech in the spokes, so that and the weight tipped the scales (ironically) in favor of the Spinergy.

Perhaps minor but probably worth noting, the HED are USA made, whereas Spinergy are made in Mexico.

Regarding aero, had I not been pinching pennies with this build, I’d have spec’d Spinergy’s aero PBO spokes for these wheels; it probably wouldn’t have been more than $150 upcharge— I got my GX Black on sale for $499– but I really needed to control costs. Most of my gravel rides are group rides on fast hardpack roads, and I’m always the fattest guy in the bunch, so I’ll take marginal gains when I can get ‘em. I’m usually gone OTB on the climbs, when I’m maxed-out dumping L5 power and grinding along at 6mph while everyone else is doing 10mph at Tempo. So yeah, getting aero bennies at 6mph prolly ain’t happenin’, but if I can buy (or bank) a few watts when cruising, I’m happy to do it.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-08-21, 05:36 PM
dvdslw

Well I just ordered a set of their GX wheels in the Spinergy Edition Colorway which is all black with one red spoke. I called to check on availability and they were in limited stock with the xdr hub so I placed my order. I mentioned a 10% off coupon I had at home and they honored it no question without the code.

I just bought my Salsa Warbird last week and the WTB wheelset that came on it is extremely heavy. I weighed the wheels, 42mm Trevail tires, 160mm trp rotors, and tubes all together and it came out to 4,500 grams which is almost ridiculous.
Old 02-08-21, 05:59 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by dvdslw
Well I just ordered a set of their GX wheels in the Spinergy Edition Colorway which is all black with one red spoke. I called to check on availability and they were in limited stock with the xdr hub so I placed my order. I mentioned a 10% off coupon I had at home and they honored it no question without the code.

I just bought my Salsa Warbird last week and the WTB wheelset that came on it is extremely heavy. I weighed the wheels, 42mm Trevail tires, 160mm trp rotors, and tubes all together and it came out to 4,500 grams which is almost ridiculous.
Oh, I should call them and check on my XDR driver order. After I bought mine with a Shimano freehub, I decided to run a Force 12spd drivetrain, so I called to order the XDR driver, but they sent me old XD bit. I sent it back last week, but have had no news on the proper part.

I have some WTB i23 650b factory wheels on my Breezer Doppler, and though I’ve not weighed them, they feel quite heavy. I’ve got my mind set on Spinergy replacements for those as well. If I can get that bike sub-30lbs, I’ll be stoked!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-08-21, 07:32 PM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by chaadster
Oh, I should call them and check on my XDR driver order. After I bought mine with a Shimano freehub, I decided to run a Force 12spd drivetrain, so I called to order the XDR driver, but they sent me old XD bit. I sent it back last week, but have had no news on the proper part.

I have some WTB i23 650b factory wheels on my Breezer Doppler, and though I’ve not weighed them, they feel quite heavy. I’ve got my mind set on Spinergy replacements for those as well. If I can get that bike sub-30lbs, I’ll be stoked!
Yeah man, call them right away because she said they only had a few xdr hubs available to build up some wheels.

The actual weight for everything was 4,400 grams the stock WTB st i23 wheels, 42mm Teravail Cannonball (durable) tires, 160mm trp rotors, tubes, and Sram PG1130 11-42 cassette.

On a diet with the Spinergy GX wheels, larger 45mm tires, 160mm Dura Ace Rotors, valves, sealant, and a Sram X011 speed mtb cassette, I have the weight at 3,200 grams which is a 1,200g savings or 2.6lbs. My Warbird as it sits is 21.5 lbs (61cm) so I should be right at a respectable 19lbs without even touching the cockpit or replacing the 807g Sram Apex crank with something lighter. I know weight isn't everything but I just love it when you can shave 3+ pounds off a bike!
Old 02-08-21, 08:05 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I just weighed my setup because bored. Same GX wheelset, 40c Pirelli Gravel H, 2oz sealant per tire, 11-34 Ultegra cassette, and 160mm TRP rotors @ 3,255g. If you got some better / slightly lighter tires, and ditched the tubes, you should be around 3,500g with the 11-42 PG-1130 cassette.

Likes For zen_:
Old 02-08-21, 08:11 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Yeah man, call them right away because she said they only had a few xdr hubs available to build up some wheels.

The actual weight for everything was 4,400 grams the stock WTB st i23 wheels, 42mm Teravail Cannonball (durable) tires, 160mm trp rotors, tubes, and Sram PG1130 11-42 cassette.

On a diet with the Spinergy GX wheels, larger 45mm tires, 160mm Dura Ace Rotors, valves, sealant, and a Sram X011 speed mtb cassette, I have the weight at 3,200 grams which is a 1,200g savings or 2.6lbs. My Warbird as it sits is 21.5 lbs (61cm) so I should be right at a respectable 19lbs without even touching the cockpit or replacing the 807g Sram Apex crank with something lighter. I know weight isn't everything but I just love it when you can shave 3+ pounds off a bike!
I hear that!

Spinergy just emailed to say the XDR was on the way! Phew!
Likes For chaadster: