Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Removing Campagnolo Ergobrain Computer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 07:45 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I recently bought a Masi that came with an Ergobrain Computer that is hard wired to the break shifters. The wire runs under the bar tape and connect to the shifters.

I have no need for the computer and would like to remove it, however it looked like the only way to do that would be by removing the bar tape and shifters or simply snipping the wires.

Long story short, is there any reason to spare the Campagnolo Ergobrain 10 computer? I don't want to potentially ruin something that the Campy community might find value in.
Old 02-27-21, 08:11 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Since it's connected to the levers there must be sending units or switches in there too. Are you going to remove those also, just in case someone in the Campy community finds it offensive or useful? I too have a hard time destroying something that someone else might find value in, sometimes doing more harm to what I'm keeping than not and then giving the salvaged item to Goodwill or something along those lines anyway. Removing the bar tape and then putting it back isn't too big of a deal really, unless it's the adhesive type and/or you damage it in the process and then wish you had just cut the wires. What a dilemma! Good luck
Old 02-27-21, 08:58 PM
enjoi07

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Since it's connected to the levers there must be sending units or switches in there too. Are you going to remove those also, just in case someone in the Campy community finds it offensive or useful? I too have a hard time destroying something that someone else might find value in, sometimes doing more harm to what I'm keeping than not and then giving the salvaged item to Goodwill or something along those lines anyway. Removing the bar tape and then putting it back isn't too big of a deal really, unless it's the adhesive type and/or you damage it in the process and then wish you had just cut the wires. What a dilemma! Good luck

Yep, you're totally right, there are transmitters attached to the shifters so to properly remove the wires, the shifters need to come off and the transmitters need to be removed. Complete PITA process.

BUT the bar tape is on its last leg and I have been considering different bars so it might all work out.
Old 02-27-21, 11:37 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
The Ergobrain bits are housed in their own plugs that replace the standard plugs in the Ergopowers.

Unless you have those stored somewhere removing the Ergobrain intact will mean your Ergopower sits on the handlebar unsupported at the bottom and the shifty bits are exposed. The rubber cover won't be supported there either which I find an incredibly annoying sensation.

Old 02-28-21, 12:15 AM
enjoi07

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
The Ergobrain bits are housed in their own plugs that replace the standard plugs in the Ergopowers.

Unless you have those stored somewhere removing the Ergobrain intact will mean your Ergopower sits on the handlebar unsupported at the bottom and the shifty bits are exposed. The rubber cover won't be supported there either which I find an incredibly annoying sensation.

Yeeup, I just found this out through a bike shop owner. His advice was to cut the wires if I don't plan on using them. Goodbye, Ergobrain. Thanks guys!
Likes For enjoi07:
Old 02-28-21, 12:19 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Bye bye Campy history...
the Ergobrain was an interesting concept
if it had lasted to the EPS era...
I could see automatic shifting based on loadcell data...
Old 02-28-21, 12:42 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by enjoi07
Yeeup, I just found this out through a bike shop owner. His advice was to cut the wires if I don't plan on using them. Goodbye, Ergobrain. Thanks guys!
Look, a few questions.

Why do you have to remove the Ergo brain at all? Can't you just not use it? Don't the levers just work as if there is no electric stuff in there at all?

Once the wires are cut, it is of no value, and your levers which contain a dead EB might be impaired in value, as well. There are a lot of Generation 2 Ergopower lever sets on Ebay. Can you not just buy a set of levers, same # of speeds, same clicky patterns, same materials and just unbolt them from the handlebar clamps? You should not have even to disturb the tape if you extract the inner cables from the housings/levers together.