Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

TRP HY/RD vs full hydro

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

TRP HY/RD vs full hydro

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-21, 11:34 AM
tarekziade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TRP HY/RD vs full hydro

Hi allI have a sram rival 22 disc group and want to go electric. My frame has posmount calipers, and due to the covid crisis it's extremely hard to find an electrical groupset for my bike. I was looking at the force etap, but hydraulic ones are out of stock in this part of the world.

My shop has proposed this set up: an ultegra di2 that has classical rim brakes levers, along with the TRP HY/RD breaks. Those are hybrid cable/hydraulic brakes. So the cable goes to the caliper then there's an oil chamber there.

My biggest concern is how the braking will feel. Does anyone have some experience with the TRP ?

Is it going to be roughly as good as my current rival full hydraulic, or will I loose quality ?

I can also wait a year...
​​​

Thanks !
Old 02-28-21, 11:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You sound a little mixed up in your descriptions.

But if the question is cable pulled disc brakes vs. hydraulic, then I recommend hydraulic.

Then you won't have to worry about a break in your brake cable. <grin>
TRP HY/RD breaks
You got it right elsewhere, but it stood out. All my mistakes stand out too when I re-read my posts.
Old 02-28-21, 11:52 AM
tarekziade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typos

Sorry, I mixed up break and brake, english is not my native language 😁

The TRP has a cable but the caliper still uses an hydraulic system. It's an hybrid system.

Cheers
Old 02-28-21, 11:59 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
TRP also makes a full hydraulic version called the Hylex.

https://trpcycling.com/product/hylex-rs/

You can also retrofit this for Di2 buttons.

However, if you want to do it right and save money, for $250 you can get the real deal:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=67778

I have these, and they are superb. They came with my bike in 2014 and have been flawless. In fact, I liked them so much I picked up the above as a spare.

As a further benefit (to you, per your post), the calipers are post-mount (essentially the same as the 2-piston XT calipers).

The hybrid brakes will be a step backward from where you are now.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 02-28-21 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-28-21, 12:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Personally I'd either get a bike with the electronic shifting I want as a complete one and done solution. Or I'd get the entire complete electronic group that I desire. I would not do mix and match.

With regards to upgrading a current bike. I'd have a hard time replacing a group set that is otherwise working well enough for me and spending any amount of money on a new group set, electronic or not. It's just not enough bang for my bucks.

I do currently use Di2 on the bike I ride the most. But I'm still just as happy with the near perfect shifting I get on my 105 5800 equipped bike.