Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 right crank compatibility question

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-28-21, 11:52 PM
espadama17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a cycling beginner and I have a Triban rc520 outfitted by a FC-RS510 - Shimano crankset, unfortunately the right crank had a lose thread. The only available replacement parts in my country is a Shimano 105 r7000. My question is can I use a Shimano 105 r7000 right crank as a replacement for the FC-RS510? or do I have to replace the whole crankset? Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-01-21, 02:08 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
What thread is loose?
As the right crank includes the axle as a one piece unit can't see what loose thread could be a problem.
Old 03-01-21, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 3,298 Posts
And if this is a new bicycle, then definitely take it back to them as see what they say. Then see if they'll let you watch as they solve the issue. Then you'll know more for the next time something similar happens.
Old 03-02-21, 02:20 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by espadama17
... unfortunately the right crank had a lose thread.
You're going to have to clarify what you mean.

As mentioned, the drive-side (right) is a one-piece assembly with the spider, spindle and crankarm. I assume that you're not talking about the chainring bolts... are you talking about the captive threading for the pedal spindle? If that's what you're talking about, yeah - you're going to need the whole drive-side assembly and you might as well replace the whole thing, if it's not in warranty.
Old 03-02-21, 02:56 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
The right crank comprises the crank arm along with the chainrings and spindle, about 80% of the whole crankset. If you could find just that part, it would cost about as much as the full 105 crankset. Perhaps you could furnish a bit more information about the damaged threads on your crank