Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Guerciotti and Ten Speed Drive

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Guerciotti and Ten Speed Drive

Old 07-27-20, 07:30 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,374 Times in 2,086 Posts
Originally Posted by goertex
I just purchased a Ciocc that looks like it came through TSD. The paint is beautiful and the seat tube has a decal that says “paint by Cole” since TSD and Gary Cole we’re both in Florida, could he have painted for them?
i have pics but can’t post them until I post 10 times. Grrrr
Gary is Miami based, TSD was on the west coast of Florida.

Does the Ciocc frame have a pantographed TSD logo on it anywhere? If not, there's no reason to believe it came through TSD - but if it does, yes.

Either way, the picture you sent me only included the "Paint By COLE" decal on it. This means is that Gary did a respray on it at one time. Wouldn't be the original finish, TSD or otherwise.

-Kurt

Old 07-27-20, 07:47 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 595 Posts
I bought what I believe to be a '84 or '85 Guerciotti frame set about 3 years ago. It is blue and yellow with Guerciotto decals and it's Columbus SLX tubing. It has the Guerciotto panto on the right side of the rear brake bridge and the TSD panto on the left but no other TSD identifiers and I haven't found a SN anywhere. I'm slowly piecing together period Super Record components to get it back in commission but I have Champagne taste on a Budweiser budget so it's taking a while. 😐
Old 07-27-20, 09:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I have a TSDI Gerk, I THINK. Non-lugged fork, Tre Tubing decals, red/white/blue fade. I’ll have to look at the pantos. Nice feeling frame. I’ve not built it; wishy washy between 2.10 DA DT and 3.10 Centaur DT and 2.10 Veloce black.
Old 07-27-20, 09:52 AM
goertex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TSD panto on Ciocc

Originally Posted by cudak888
Gary is Miami based, TSD was on the west coast of Florida.

Does the Ciocc frame have a pantographed TSD logo on it anywhere? If not, there's no reason to believe it came through TSD - but if it does, yes.

Either way, the picture you sent me only included the "Paint By COLE" decal on it. This means is that Gary did a respray on it at one time. Wouldn't be the original finish, TSD or otherwise.

-Kurt
thanks for the reply. Yes there is a TSD panto on the brake bridge. So I guess this bike came through TSD and was later resprayed by Mr Cole.
no real “Florida connection “
I love playing arm chair velo detective
thanks guys
Likes For goertex:
Old 07-27-20, 11:12 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
One thing to note. Not all frames that came through TSD had the TSD logo on the brake bridge. At least for Guerciotti frames , many only had the TSD sticker with serial number to ID them as a TSD bike.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 02-06-21, 07:23 AM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts
Don't cut metal if you don't have to.

Originally Posted by monogodo
At the two shops I worked in from 1989-1992, we faced & chased every frame that was sold (that wasn't pre-built by the manufacturer), including Guerciottis.
Originally Posted by monogodo
At the two shops I worked in from 1989-1992, we faced & chased every frame that was sold (that wasn't pre-built by the manufacturer), including Guerciottis.
This is an old thread, I know, but bear with me.
We used to do that at the shop I worked at in Vermont in the 1980s. One time when I was at Marinoni's shop in Montreal picking up frames, I bragged about doing this and he chastised me for it. His point was that it was unnecessary, as they prepped every frame there at the factory, and all we were doing was to 'make the threads loose', or something to that effect. After that, we no prepped a frame if it was obvious that it had already been done, or unless there seemed to be a reason to do so. I have the tools to do this today, but I don't use them unless I have reason to.

I have to be honest that, as a 20-something with a bunch of years wrenching and working in bike shops, largely self-taught, I wanted to feel like I was something special. After all, I was the most experienced person in our "pro shop", I had my own torches, and I was the one who was trusted with the Campy and VAR frame prep tools. Now, decades later, I have to admit that, like almost all youthful bike mechanics and salespeople both then and now, my estimation of my expertise was vastly inflated. When I think of all the guys I would see in similar shops, walking around with their noses in the air as if they had a Campy straightedge shoved up their ass, I don't think I was alone. I see these kids today explaining to customers what products and services they must buy in order to enjoy the sport of cycling and just shake my head and bite my tongue.

Steve Barner
Bolton, Vermont
​​​​​​​
Likes For sbarner:
Old 02-06-21, 02:55 PM
e-RICHIE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
<cut>

I have to be honest that, as a 20-something with a bunch of years wrenching and working in bike shops, largely self-taught, I wanted to feel like I was something special. After all, I was the most experienced person in our "pro shop", I had my own torches, and I was the one who was trusted with the Campy and VAR frame prep tools. Now, decades later, I have to admit that, like almost all youthful bike mechanics and salespeople both then and now, my estimation of my expertise was vastly inflated. When I think of all the guys I would see in similar shops, walking around with their noses in the air as if they had a Campy straightedge shoved up their ass, I don't think I was alone. I see these kids today explaining to customers what products and services they must buy in order to enjoy the sport of cycling and just shake my head and bite my tongue.

Steve Barner
Bolton, Vermont
Agreed. This sentiment crosses over into the now not-so-new framebuilding zeitgeist that began after the Y2K period. If people last long enough, they're (some, anyway) likely to realize that real world experience, and training, and maybe patience too are what they lacked a month after they started blogging about the work they've been doing.