Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mid-80s GIOS Professional? Schooling needed!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-11, 01:50 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Hi all….picked this Gios up last night via a local CL as….needs some tweaks and has some scratches here and there…namely new bar tape and matching hoods…but it seems like it has good bones. Columbus tubing, Campy, Regal saddle, etc. From what I’ve read, looks like this may be a mid-80’s Professional? Here it is in “as bought” condition.

Any additional info (and pics!) regarding Gios? I’ve wanted to add an Italian steed to my humble collection…I’m concerned it may be a little small for me…but I think it’ll work…thanks!

Old 11-11-11, 02:04 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
A 59 is too small for you? Better send it over here. Nice bike. What's not to like? Why someone would put green tape on it is beyond me, but, looks like a good overhaul and cleaning and the mentioned upgrades, and you're good to go. There have been several threads here on the GIOS. Search them up.
Old 11-11-11, 02:12 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Did you snag that in Jersey Johnny?
Old 11-11-11, 02:40 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Did you snag that in Jersey Johnny?
Yep...just across the WW bridge...it was on the Philly CL yesterday.....
Old 11-11-11, 02:56 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Heh - I had a feeling

I emailed him, but we couldn't agree on price. He was reasonable, I just wasn't willing to spend a whole lot. It looks much better than it did in his ad.

You should have stopped by to see how amazing the Montagner cleaned up!
Old 11-11-11, 03:02 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Heh - I had a feeling

I emailed him, but we couldn't agree on price. He was reasonable, I just wasn't willing to spend a whole lot. It looks much better than it did in his ad.

You should have stopped by to see how amazing the Montagner cleaned up!
I didn't pay his asking price either...I was concerned about the the scratches and what not...he actually made it sound much worse than it is...a thorough cleaning and polishing and I think it will shine up nicely....although I've read Gios paint isn't the best to begin with....
Old 11-17-11, 12:53 AM
ohjonnybegoode

I don't like bumping my own thread, but seeking an answer to a question I have...trying to confirm what model GIOS this is...from what I've read...I'm thinking it's a mid-80s Professional - it doesn't have a model name anywhere and I don't see a serial number...is there something I should look for that would confirm this is a Professional and not a Compact Pro (for example)?

Thanks!!
Old 11-17-11, 02:36 AM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
I don't like bumping my own thread, but seeking an answer to a question I have...trying to confirm what model GIOS this is...from what I've read...I'm thinking it's a mid-80s Professional - it doesn't have a model name anywhere and I don't see a serial number...is there something I should look for that would confirm this is a Professional and not a Compact Pro (for example)?

Thanks!!
Yep, it is a "Professional". The only place that it says that is on a little sticker next to the rear rubber stopper for the internal cable routing. If it's not there, it probably rubbed off. I had one back in the 80's. Beautiful frames. How much did you pay if you don't mind?
Old 11-17-11, 06:19 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Nice bike.
Old 11-17-11, 07:00 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Many GIOS lovers in the Netherlands have mailed the factory with pics for i.d., and I keep on hearing that the staff there always replies with a lot of care and kindness (although not always very quick - it's still Italy!). The factory seems very dedicated to keep the GIOS flame alive in the C&V department. The other day I read this story of a guy who send over his frame to the factory for a repair and respray, and when he came to pick it up (during holiday in Italy) they got this very cool tour of the premises by one of the brothers himself. Amazing read.
Old 11-17-11, 07:21 AM
ohjonnybegoode

Originally Posted by Italuminium
Many GIOS lovers in the Netherlands have mailed the factory with pics for i.d., and I keep on hearing that the staff there always replies with a lot of care and kindness (although not always very quick - it's still Italy!). The factory seems very dedicated to keep the GIOS flame alive in the C&V department. The other day I read this story of a guy who send over his frame to the factory for a repair and respray, and when he came to pick it up (during holiday in Italy) they got this very cool tour of the premises by one of the brothers himself. Amazing read.
That would be neat to do...although, from what I've read...it looks like the GIOS Professional from this era came with Campy SR...mine has Campy NR....(not that I'm complaining)....I figure nothing is orginal to this bike...but, if I can dial in the fit, it's one I should enjoy...
Old 11-19-11, 05:18 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Update!

Rewrapped the bars, gave it a quick wipe down and threw on some cheap pedals for the GIOS' maiden voyage on a cool autumn afternoon in the suburbs of The City of Brotherly Love.

Still need to work on the fit a bit...handlebars need to be raised a little, but the saddle is in the right spot for me.

My first impression is - wow...this thing wants to go FAST...it's feels very quick and responsive...it makes my Raleigh Pro's ride almost stately in comparison. I don't know that I'm enough rider for this bike!

But....I can't wait to get back on it again...this bike is going to be a lot of fun to ride...

A few snaps on the way home...just as it began to get chilly as the sun was going down....

Old 11-19-11, 05:31 PM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
I have a gios i need to repaint, Gios is only 5 hours from my house...
Old 11-19-11, 05:58 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The first number in the serial number is the year. It's a Professional, like mine. I have the Gios Compact and it's quit different in design and handling. Beautiful steed. By the way, Gios is now made in the Far East, under a new owner, but the siblings are still building Gios's under the name Giostorino, copy right issue. The website is "https://www.giostorino.it/index.php" and if the year is under 1988, you can register your Gios! You can also email Marco Gios and he will answer in English(the web site is in Italian). Have lot of fun!
Old 11-19-11, 06:10 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Originally Posted by gioscinelli
The first number in the serial number is the year. It's a Professional, like mine. I have the Gios Compact and it's quit different in design and handling. Beautiful steed. By the way, Gios is now made in the Far East, under a new owner, but the siblings are still building Gios's under the name Giostorino, copy right issue. The website is "https://www.giostorino.it/index.php" and if the year is under 1988, you can register your Gios! You can also email Marco Gios and he will answer in English(the web site is in Italian). Have lot of fun!
Thanks for the info! One question...could you tell me where the serial number is located? I looked underneath the bottom bracket and didn't see anything there except the size.
Old 11-19-11, 09:03 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
That's the only place I know where to find the serial number, under the bottom bracket. Or, you have to search allover the frame, rear drop outs, chainstays, steering tube... Here's a link to my Registered Gios " https://www.giostorino.it/images/stor...ostorino30.pdf ", it has over 24k on the frame/fork! Perhaps other Gios aficionados may have alternative suggestions.
Old 11-19-11, 10:37 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Originally Posted by gioscinelli
That's the only place I know where to find the serial number, under the bottom bracket. Or, you have to search allover the frame, rear drop outs, chainstays, steering tube... Here's a link to my Registered Gios " https://www.giostorino.it/images/stor...ostorino30.pdf ", it has over 24k on the frame/fork! Perhaps other Gios aficionados may have alternative suggestions.
I thought I remember reading that some GIOS came without serial numbers, but by the time the Professional was introduced, they started to add them...maybe early Professionals still didn't have them?

Any other Professional owners out there who could chime in?
Old 11-19-11, 10:45 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
I am going to have to go buy some House of Color Marine Blue and red oxide primer and paint my frames up. One needs a fork replated.