Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Transport is home!

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Transport is home!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 08:22 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Transport is home!

Finally!

I took a bit of a detour on the way home. Just enjoyed the ride. I will have to do something about the rattling racks, but for a 26" wheel setup it rides really smooth. I am quite happy with the purchase. The first load on the bike was new fenders. I got it for the rear setup. I will have to do a little fabrication, but all in all it should work.

I have to install my bar ends though, maybe an adjustable stem. I may even install the B17. I will give it a few rides before I decide on what to do with the saddle.

Here are some initial pics on the way home...

At the bike store:

Stops on the way:

Old 04-02-12, 09:09 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Underground
Finally!

I took a bit of a detour on the way home. Just enjoyed the ride. I will have to do something about the rattling racks, but for a 26" wheel setup it rides really smooth. I am quite happy with the purchase. The first load on the bike was new fenders. I got it for the rear setup. I will have to do a little fabrication, but all in all it should work.

I have to install my bar ends though, maybe an adjustable stem. I may even install the B17. I will give it a few rides before I decide on what to do with the saddle.

Here are some initial pics on the way home...

At the bike store:

Stops on the way:

My vote is for a Brooks Flyer and some Ergon grips.
Old 04-02-12, 09:29 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
+1 for Brooks and some wood fenders https://www.woodysfenders.com/store/
Old 04-05-12, 05:23 AM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I toss money towards a Flyer, I will drop the B17 on there. If I got a new Brooks, I would get a sprung model. The question is Flyer or B67...

If the B17 feels pretty good on there, I'll drop some cash on the Flyer. If I need something a bit wider, I'll go with the 67. I honestly feel an adjustable stem is a must at this point. Way too much pressure on my hands right now. I prefer sitting more upright on this bike than my roadie or MTB.

As for the grips, the Bontrager Satellite Plus are decent stock grips. I'll try the bar ends I had on my old commuter and will see how those do. I may go with some Ergon's if I want a combined grip/end. Thanks for the suggestion on the Ergon's, I forgot about those.

Dyno...those wood fenders look nice! I actually think they look so nice that if I were to put them on this bike, I wouldn't want to go riding and risk messing them up. I'll stick with the cheap ones so I'll be more likely to ride it. haha
Old 04-05-12, 08:05 AM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Bikes: Trek Transport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally!

YAY!!!!! Another Transport rider!!!!! You're going to have a lot of fun with it!!!!! You are more than welcome to join this group on Facebook if you like......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/251380181578404/
Old 04-05-12, 05:34 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any good secrets for eliminating the rack rattles?

EDIT: Joined the group!

Last edited by Underground; 04-05-12 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 08:27 PM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any good secrets for eliminating the rack rattles?

EDIT: Joined the group!
Glad you joined the group!!!!!

As for the rattle. A bungee cord works GREAT for putting that noise to rest. I use two of them just so I have extras with me all the time. Just in case........

Hope that those aren't the ONLY photos that you will be sharing.

Enjoy the ride!!!!!
Old 04-05-12, 08:49 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope. I just have not had a chance to head out on another ride since I got it. I plan on possibly using the bike to carry some of my golf clubs to the driving range this week. Should be a good ride! Only a 3-mile trip.

That should be worth a few pictures.
Old 04-06-12, 05:34 AM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope. I just have not had a chance to head out on another ride since I got it. I plan on possibly using the bike to carry some of my golf clubs to the driving range this week. Should be a good ride! Only a 3-mile trip.

That should be worth a few pictures.
Yep...that's going to be picture worthy. They might even let you use the bike instead of a cart to tote your clubs around the course!!!!!