Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show me your cat

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show me your cat

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 11:10 AM
Robofunc

Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man, Southpaw--that orange cat on the Raleigh almost made soda come out my nose.
Old 03-19-13, 11:29 AM
El Segundo

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ATT0001616161616.jpg (65.3 KB, 455 views)
Old 03-19-13, 01:07 PM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Well, we currently have 14 cats in the house - we did a 'rescue' a few years ago - we got tired of the feral cats in the neighborhood having too many kittens. So we trapped them all, got the adults fixed and released to be 'placeholders' in the area, and got the kittens all fixed, medicated, etc... Some were too sick to save and we lost three. Two took almost a year to get over severe eye infections. The adults were brought back in a year later after the neighbor kid was caught shooting at them with BB gun - while they were in our yard!

We already had four of our own, but lost one at 22 years old, too. My Abyssinians (brother and sister) lived to be 21-1/2... We've had lots of cats in the past.

Casper - Our oldest 'original' looks like the white/cream one that Southpaw had is now 10
Punkin is an orange-white longhair 9yrs
Christofur is black-white tabby (and had outline crucifix across shoulders and down the spine - hence the name) is 7
Rescue cats:
Butch - orange-white tiger 'Morris' cat is the alpha male of the rescue is probably 7 as well
Penny & Daisy - mother breeders. Daisy is calico, Penny is orange tabby There was a third mother cat, but she got hit by a car before we could trap her. all 5-6 yrs old
Tyler - black-white tuxedo cat. 'yearling' juvenile male of opportunity - has one look-alike kitten to his 'credit' now 5yrs
Now to the 'kittens - all 4yrs old now
Sunny and Vinny - white w/ orange spots
Emily - Butch's 'mini-me'. orange white tiger stripe
Katy - Tyler's mini-me black-white tuxedo
Petey - Penny's 'maxi-me' HUGE orange-white tabby
Rose - tiger/calico
Misty - white/black-gray tiger - only survivor of Chloe (mama that got hit)

Reese - black-orange tortise - the only one we adopted out, later skipped out and MIA
Almost the same story with us, we are down to 11 cats from 13 as we lost 2 this year, Sqeek & Abby ( short for Abby-Normal ), started with the trap, spay & release program our township has for the feral cats in our neighborhood. Six of our cats are all from the same litter & are all solid black & were abandoned by the mother cat who was living under one of our sheds, animal control said they would all be put down because you can't do anything with a feral cat as they are to wild, BS!. My wife cared for them and was able to handle a few of them within a few months, we built a addition onto the shed they were living under that had Anderson windows, heat, shelving they could climb & sleep on, a kitty condo also too climb,sleep & scratch on & a little kitty door too come & go when they wanted.

The addition attracted one more cat ( Snuffy a black & white) who would wait outside until the black cats were done eating then go in for left overs, after a few months he started coming around with a black & white kitten glued to his side,( Rage pronounced like Garage, as he got locked in one for 3 weeks & presumed dead & gone all that time,but returned). Snuffy was bought in after Rage went missing as he couldn't find him, he was very upset about it, Rage came in seconds after returning from his ordeal, I scooped him up & came right in the house with him ( 2 of the best cats I have ever owned), if he wasn't fed as well as we fed him he would have never survived. Mean while as we were trying to trap Rage to get him fixed ( before he went missing) we trapped a 6 week old little spitfire, solid black male kitten with a huge cut to his belly ( Bear Cat, who is mine now & will come to me when called for ), he hated me & would hiss & growl just seeing me, also a great cat. I then have a gray tabby named Stripe, I found him ( or should I say he found me) while I was under a bridge Striper fishing one night, he was eating my bait and everything else I gave him, cheese & peanut butter crackers , chocolate chip cookies, he was about 8 weeks old & had no problems being handled from the get go, he is now 26lbs and my best buddy & rules the roost. Our oldest cat is Mama, orange & white, followed my wife home from the office she used to work at a few blocks away with her kittens, we were able to find homes for the kittens but not Mama.

In case you weren't counting, we have 7 total black cats, 5 short hair & 2 long hair, 6 from the same litter & Bear ( Who is helping me type this).
Names of the black cats were given when they lived outside & how we told them apart & stuck, they are,

Bushy Tail, or now MR.Tail, The only one that is a 100% domesticated out of the litter. Mama's boy

Whisk, he had one white whisker as a kitten but has since lost it. Also a Mama's boy

Green Eyes or Green Eyed Girl, she is a little bipolar towards other cats, but loves people. A Mama's Girl

Squirrel, or Squirrel Girl, Tail looked like Squirrels always twitching, also a Mama's Girl.

Golden Eyes, has the biggest wide open gold eyes I have ever seen on a cat, doesn't blink much, a big scaredy cat, a Daddys Boy

Lil Kris, She has crossed eyes and is the runt of the litter ( don't tell her that), we didn't know there was a 6th cat to the litter for quite some time as she was always hiding when my wife was taken care of the other 5. She was the first one in because we thought she'd have vision problems, but she doesn't, She is a Daddys Girl all the way, I do come second to Stripe though she just loves him.
This is Lil Kris, she just had the fang removed this week.

Mr Tail,

Bear Cat,

Golden Eyes,

Snuffy,

Rage,

Squirrel,

Stripe & Mr Tail,

Bear, Lil Kris & Whisk,

Green Eyes,

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 03-19-13 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 03-19-13, 01:23 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
... I'd try to get my cat to ride along but ...
no basket on the front of any bike? use a pillow and a treat and you're set.

i once put the calico in my backpack (leaving space to poke her head out) and rode around the block just to see how she would react. she didn't make a sound. they love little spaces. we used to take her in the car on short trips without her travel cage just to entertain ourselves. it was like she was going on a great adventure, seeing foreign places for the first time. other drivers' reactions to seeing a surprised cat in the driver's side window is worth the trouble.

granted, not all cats are built the same. zoe gave me the impression of a sweet human spirit trapped in a cat suit.
Old 03-19-13, 01:32 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Zoe cat, my little shy Torty shell cat

ORange fisherman kitty is Sunny, while the chubby cat sitting in the sink is named quite appropriately Tubby

Tubby occupies space quite effectively

These 2 are no longer with me, but the kitty is Thomas and the little dog , who is no bigger than a cat , is Cupcake -- they were best friends on earth and i assume still are in spirit somewhere

they were always together

Old 03-19-13, 03:01 PM
Hoss Cartright

Bikes: Schwinns, lots of them. Some Paramounts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The "cattery" with enclosed 'catwalk' bridge that attaches to my wife's art studio (Formerly our garage) My friend John is a master carpenter. He helped me build it. It took us two days to set-up and we had one evening in his workshop building the catwalk and access door. The magnetic cat-door mounted in the side wall was a $2.00 yard sale find, new in box. The catwalk has a downward tilt for water run-off and tucks up under the eve of the building. The wood is all treated type. (The new non-toxic kind) We dug down into the yard and trenched the sides and added the lower side boards so they couldn't dig under.
I have about $500.00 in it. We expect it to last about six or eight years.
Squirrels have the run of the exterior and drive the cats nuts..
The wire was small enough to prevent injury, and is attached with heavy hammer-in staples.
A lot of people have done this., There are companies selling kits etc.. And some videos on YouTube. Some people get pretty elaborate with these things. They can also be built out of PVC pipe. We just downloaded a bunch of images from a Google image search and built it from a hand drawn set of plans based on the space we had available. It is nine feet square and eight feet tall. The cat-walk was necessary to have access to an area behind our garage where we keep the mower and yard tools. Many people build these attached directly to the side of the building.

click on images to enlarge

Attached Images

Last edited by Hoss Cartright; 03-19-13 at 03:04 PM.
Likes For Hoss Cartright:
Old 03-19-13, 03:23 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Finally a thread on bf the SO and me both appreciate Can't have cats in my new home, the landlord doesn't like them. She's pressing me to take on some illegal feline aliens.

Last edited by Italuminium; 03-19-13 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 03:48 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,123 Times in 554 Posts
This isn't my cat, but it's too good a photo not to share here.

The photo was taken from the sidewalk, and I'm pretty sure the cat wandered in from the street for a free lunch.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 03-19-13, 03:49 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
Finally a thread on bf the SO and me both appreciate Can't have cats in my new home, the landlord doesn't like them. She's pressing me to take on some illegal feline aliens.

Our lease technically says no pets, but our landlord agreed that we could have one cat. Basically, it was a dealbreaker--there was no way we were moving in without him--and the landlord wants our rent money! But really, he was very reasonable about it. He just didn't want a dog that would be loud or a colony of peeing cats in the building. Have you tried asking the landlord if you could have just one cat?
Old 03-19-13, 04:21 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

He's a nice guy, but at the moment I'm not going to press the issue...
i'd like to get a bit more settled first, and than take on the responsibility. No rush, cats don't like that
Old 03-19-13, 04:46 PM
Glennfordx4

Originally Posted by fender1
Having seen that cat in person, it truly is amazing how big it is. It is not fat. I thought it was a Lynx when I first saw it. It is super nice too.
We have had two cats that were/are on the large side, First was our Monster, named for his attitude at first but when he reached 27LBS then it fit his size, no fat & very tall & long with like a 16" tail. He played like a dog and did so often, little kids would be scared of him when they came into our home as he always wanted to check them out, he was and is the best cat I have ever owned. Here is a picture of him at the age of 8 to 10 weeks playing with his new best friend Skitten, Look at that tail, we lost him in 2008 at 13 years old.

Our cat Stripe is now 26LBS, all fat, short & stout. He may have a thyroid condition because he eats less then our other cats and is way more active then our other cats as he likes to race you from room to room walking through the house.
Old 03-19-13, 04:55 PM
Glennfordx4

Originally Posted by Hoss Cartright
The "cattery" with enclosed 'catwalk' bridge that attaches to my wife's art studio (Formerly our garage) My friend John is a master carpenter. He helped me build it. It took us two days to set-up and we had one evening in his workshop building the catwalk and access door. The magnetic cat-door mounted in the side wall was a $2.00 yard sale find, new in box. The catwalk has a downward tilt for water run-off and tucks up under the eve of the building. The wood is all treated type. (The new non-toxic kind) We dug down into the yard and trenched the sides and added the lower side boards so they couldn't dig under.
I have about $500.00 in it. We expect it to last about six or eight years.
Squirrels have the run of the exterior and drive the cats nuts..
The wire was small enough to prevent injury, and is attached with heavy hammer-in staples.
A lot of people have done this., There are companies selling kits etc.. And some videos on YouTube. Some people get pretty elaborate with these things. They can also be built out of PVC pipe. We just downloaded a bunch of images from a Google image search and built it from a hand drawn set of plans based on the space we had available. It is nine feet square and eight feet tall. The cat-walk was necessary to have access to an area behind our garage where we keep the mower and yard tools. Many people build these attached directly to the side of the building.

click on images to enlarge

Ok, now you did it, my wife said we ( Her and my kids/cats) now wants one

Glenn
Old 03-19-13, 05:16 PM
Glennfordx4

Originally Posted by Hoss Cartright
Feral kittens we rescued. Dolly, Daisy, Wally and Maisie.

Larry

Daisy

Sydney

Sandy

Monte

Fuzzy

Runtly and Lucy. (brother and sister, doing great at 18.5 years)

Wally the adult

Dolly and Daisy at three years

Cali

We have 18 cats, all spayed, neutered and vaccinated. Six in the home, two in the warehouse at the business, and ten at the wife's art studio. We have finally got the feral colony under control in our neighborhood. We have so many because we cannot stand taking them to the shelter to be killed. Ten of our cats are abandoned pets, the rest are adopted ferals.

Wow, what a great heart you have, and lots of patience. Our six wild black beauties are going to be 8 this summer and they're still a work in progress. All but one won't ever be a "normal" cat but they are worth it.
Old 03-19-13, 08:50 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
Another cat named Max! lol he is a rescue cat we've had for about 6 or 7 years. 22 pounds of beastly man cat:

Last edited by RALEIGH_COMP; 03-19-13 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 09:12 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Oh. My. God. C&V has been taken over by Foo.

The new owners of my house moved in about 10 months ago. They were barely weaned and nameless, so I started a discussion on Foo to give them names:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ame-my-kitties!
Which culminated with
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hey-have-names!

Many thanks to MangoPumpkin for giving up her name for my kitties.

They are now almost a year old, and Mango has gotten humongous: 15 pounds at the last vet visit. Pumpkin is lighter, but they still snuggle together.

Here they are in younger days:

And they're still terrors around the house:

They're getting older and we're trying to teach them to be useful, but they still haven't mastered doing the dishes:

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 03-19-13 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 09:15 PM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mr. Monty:

Hey, while you're up, how about fetching me a tuna sandwich…
…without the bread!!!
Old 03-20-13, 06:37 AM
ebow3d

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts

Attached Images
image.jpg (91.4 KB, 396 views)
image.jpg (99.4 KB, 395 views)
Likes For ebow3d:
Old 03-20-13, 07:03 AM
ka0use

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
bbb
Attached Images
mouse 1.jpg (15.8 KB, 211 views)
Old 03-20-13, 07:53 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
... In case you weren't counting, we have 7 total black cats, 5 short hair & 2 long hair, 6 from the same litter & Bear ( Who is helping me type this). ...
My wife and I love black cats and have had several over the years. Thanks for posting the pictures -- I shall see whether melanistic Melanie, our big black-and-beautiful fluff ball, properly appreciates them.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-20-13, 11:32 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4

Mr Tail,

Squirrel,

I couldn't help but notice (again) that Mr Tail and Dusty look almost exactly alike. Took some digging to find a pic where he was actually looking at the camera directly, and I left your other pic just because of the poses
Old 03-20-13, 11:57 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
All cats are beautiful to my eye. But black cats are particularly so. I was hoping to find one when we adopted Minky, but there were no black ones.
Out of the fifteen or so cats they had at the time, this grey tiger was the only one who stayed way back in her cage. Somewhat freaked. The gal told me she had been adopted, but the woman had brought her back, saying she was a bit "sketchy". I said, "WTF with that?" , and she proceeded to tell me what she meant. I know what sketchy means, I told her. I just can't believe someone would actually return a cat. "We'll take her" I said.
Old 03-20-13, 05:27 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Beautiful picture!
Old 03-20-13, 06:03 PM
puckett129

Bikes: 80's Treks, cargo bike, Lugged LeMond, Eddy Merckx 7-11, Ciocc resto-mod, All City MM disc, and some more

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Milo

Doo-Dah
Old 03-21-13, 05:31 AM
paulkal

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
All cats are beautiful to my eye. But black cats are particularly so. I was hoping to find one when we adopted Minky, but there were no black ones.
Out of the fifteen or so cats they had at the time, this grey tiger was the only one who stayed way back in her cage. Somewhat freaked. The gal told me she had been adopted, but the woman had brought her back, saying she was a bit "sketchy". I said, "WTF with that?" , and she proceeded to tell me what she meant. I know what sketchy means, I told her. I just can't believe someone would actually return a cat. "We'll take her" I said.
She looks lovely
Old 03-21-13, 05:37 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by paulkal
She looks lovely
Agreed.

Good looking cat I would say!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.