Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I hate flat tires...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I hate flat tires...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 11:57 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I'm a bit shy of 4900 so far for the year, so I guess it'll come out to 5300 or so by the end of December.
That's a good distance, inn'it?

I don't bother to keep accurate records but I know what my weekly mileage has been for commuting and I know how much we rode on the weekends. I figure I'm over 5000 this year. I've had two commuting flats on 28mm Pasela TG's. Another was a cut in a Vittoria sew-up. Another was from a piece of glass in the tandem's rear tire, a 32mm Pasela TG, which developed a slow leak but never actually flatted while we were riding. All the rest were on Vittorias whose tread had become too thin to bear up to much of any real use. Over the previous two years' commuting I had one from a staple from the office carpet, one pinch flat, two from pieces of road debris, and one Schrader valve stem blow out.

I'd say the tires do make a difference.
Old 11-13-14, 12:01 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Today was my day. It is my first flat in many, many years. A two inch long screw imbedded itself into my tire. (Bontrager R1) Of course it had to to be there rear tire. I found that my old tube was for .75"-1" tires and mine are 700x23c. I put it in anyway and pumped it up as well as my Performance Hand pump could manage. I am glad I was only 2 miles from home. I rode slowly and could feel every inch.
I went into the LBS, the guy said the tire was rideable but I wasn't convinced. I could feel that defect. They didn't have the R1 but sold me a T1. I took the older, bigger tube home because it was still useable.
I am quite proud of myself for being able to change the tire. I am adding a better hand pump to my wish list.
Old 11-15-14, 07:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by daf1009
Ok...when I saw the name of this thread "I hate flat tires..."

My first thought was..."really, who doesn't?"...So...is there anyone out there that "doesn't hate flat tires?" :-)
Sometimes, it's not a huge inconvenience, and I'm good at fixing them. When it's the third in a day or it's cold and rainy or dark, then I get annoyed.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-01-14, 06:30 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yesterday at mile 90 of my November century I noticed my front tire slowly losing pressure. It was going soft so slowly that I was able to pick a spot to fix it. It was too cold to sit by the side of the road. I chose a gas station that doesn't have a mini market so the office was just this space where I could sit for a few minutes and patch my tube. The cause proved to be a very tiny piece of wire, just a couple mm long, and hard to get out of the tire. About 6cm from a previous patch, making me wonder if I missed it last time.

Panaracer Pasela 700 x 28 Tourguard tire.

Last edited by rhm; 12-01-14 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 08:16 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by rhm
The cause proved to be a very tiny piece of wire, just a couple mm long
What's up with all this wire trouble lately? I came home Saturday night from a T-Day weekend and found the rear tire of my UO8 commute vehicle flat. The tire hadn't been flat when I parked the bike Tuesday evening. The culprit was a bit of wire on the inside of the tire but not visible in the tread.
Old 12-01-14, 01:34 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,123 Times in 554 Posts
Speaking of small little wires, I wonder how many flats I've caused myself from rolling my bikes through my workshop. I know I've stepped in my share of wires which fall off brass wire brushes.

My latest annoyance is a rear 27" chrome rim that I swear is bigger than it should be. It's on a low-end flip bike that have spent too much time on already and want out of my garage asap. I just need to mount the tires, wrap the bars, and it'll be done. Three times I tried this weekend to mount a 27x1-1/4 Panaracer Pasela tire on the rear wheel, and each time I caused a flat. Once it pinch flatted when the beading snapped over the lip of the rim. A couple times I think the tube must have ridden up between the rim and tire beading. It's so tight it had to double-check I wasn't mounting a 700c tire. Went on another 27" rim with ease. I've got strong hands and usually don't struggle much with mounting tires, but this tire/wheel is putting me to the test. Used the last of the glue in the patch kit and broke a tire lever, but still haven't got it mounted and inflated. Gonna pick up some talcum powder, another patch kick, and try my luck again tonight when I'm not so filled with rage and frustration.
Old 12-01-14, 02:20 PM
uberprutser

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I also hate flat tires and had to walk many many miles over the years.
But the worst was about 4 years ago on a couple of consecutive mtb rides.
Went trough at least 4 tubes, most of them new, and on all of them the valve stem broke loose. Most likely the tire slipped over the rim under braking.
First I thought is was the low tire pressure (2-2.5 bar) and than I blamed the baby powder thats on new tubes.
But in the end I replaced the tire and the problem was solved. I guess it was just too loose on the rim. (folding tire)
Old 12-08-14, 03:35 PM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Years ago I was fixing a flat tire on a little patch of grass next to this pedestrian sign. I decided to move away from the road a bit so I relocated a couple of metres closer to the bus stop away from traffic. A few minutes later a guy on a Harley literally flew past the pedestrian sign where I had just been crouched down repairing my tire. He had lost control on some gravel. He was airborne--him and the bike flying horizontally. He landed in a bush (since removed) behind the bus stop. He refused to stay for the ambulance and rode off as soon as he regained his bearings.

Now I always do repairs away from the traffic path. Not just the road but anyplace where an out of control vehicle could end up. Expect the unexpected.
Old 12-08-14, 06:02 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

For some reason that reminds me of the time I was patching a tube on the tow path of the C&O canal in Georgetown, D.C. in about 1982 or 83. I was on the south side of the canal, my Raleigh Professional lying in a sad looking heap at my side, and I was carefully scuffing the tube in preparation for glue. I noticed another cyclist on a racing bike approaching from the east, but he was on the north side of the canal, going like a bat out of hell, studiously ignoring me just as I was ignoring him. Concentrating on the task at hand, I was nonetheless conscious of a splooshy kind of sound as he went by. That made me turn my head! But he was gone. Wtf, thought i (the abbreviation was not yet current; I actually thought out all the words, what the duck?). I looked west, north, east... nobody. Then I noticed an arm, then a Bell Biker and a head, then shoulders, then a very wet dude, all emerging from the nutrient-rich canal waters. All but his left arm, which stayed in the water until he was otherwise on land again. Then, with visible effort, he pulled out his left arm, still attached to the handlebar of a snazzy looking bike. He hopped on the (wet ) saddle and off he went, still not making eye contact.

In retrospect, of all the flat tires I've patched, that one was the most fun.
Old 12-08-14, 07:05 PM
yipyipyip

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flats are a PITA, but can be effectively minimized easily. In C&V, I know I'm generally not talking to newbies, but anyway here are my hints to minimize flats. I very seldomly have flats at >260lbs/6'5'' and correspondingly high tire pressures.

* Rim tape. Get high-quality tape, especially when running at high tire pressures. I use Schwalbe, but there must be others out there I don't know about. These should be below 5$/pc. Considering it takes the average amateur mechanic maybe 30min per tire to fix, compare to your hourly wage and decide accordingly.
* Tires. Anti-flat tires in my experience do exactly what they promise. Again, I can recommend Schwalbe, but only due to lack of experience with other brands. Other brands are probably just as good. You get vastly improved flat resistance in exchange for a tire with increased rolling resistance and increased weight. From my experience, I would venture to say you gain >10x piercing resistance at maybe -10% performance. That depends on your performance level, though.

As far as my experience goes, tubes have nothing to do with flat resistance. As a disclaimer, I have zero experience with tubulars or tubeless.

Last edited by yipyipyip; 12-08-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-11-14, 07:51 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

I'm getting tired of bumping this thread. But this time it is definitely my fault; my tires felt squishy but I was in a hurry, and figured I could get away with not pumping them up. Wrong.

There's some construction going on at the vanished village of Franklin Corner NJ -- where Franklin Corner Road crosses Route One and becomes Baker's Basin Road. Having just missed a green light I went up on the sidewalk to push the button that triggers the light so I can cross; and I hit some debris on the sidewalk. I hadn't realized there was construction there; most of the construction is on the other side of the road. Anyway, it felt my rim bottom out on something. Rear wheel went flat by the time I got across Route One.

It was too cold and too dark to patch the tube, but had a new tube so I just replaced it. But when I took the pump off the valve after pumping it up, all the air rushed out again. The valve was defective. I was able to unscrew the valve from the old tube and screw it into the new one, pump up, and get to the station; but I had missed my train by then. Total loss in time, a bit over an hour.
Old 12-11-14, 08:50 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Since I've only been biking seriously for a few years and some of you have been biking longer than I've been alive -- why do I keep getting pinch flats when swapping tires & rims?

Lately I've been swapping a lot of tires and rims around and when I try to re-use a tube I almost always pinch flat it. When I use a brand new tube I don't.

Let's rule some things out:
1) The tires are good. The tubes are good. The rims are good.
2) I don't use levers to put the tire on (but I use them to take them off, usually.)
3) When seating the tire I start at the valve and work my way around to the opposite end
4) I visually inspect the bead to see if the tube is caught between the bead and rim.

Here's my guesses -- either I'm damaging the tube with the levers when I remove the tire; or I'm pinching it when I seat that last little bit of the tire that's hard to get on even though I'm not using levers on that part.

Other than start using baby powder I'm not sure what else to do.

30 degrees, dark and drizzle at 4 am this morning.. still better than no ride at all. Or the trainer.
Old 12-11-14, 10:03 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by ksryder
... when I try to re-use a tube I almost always pinch flat it. When I use a brand new tube I don't.... .
Based on this observation, I'd say you're damaging the tube when you take the tire off the rim. I can't say how; it could be something wrong with your tools, or your technique. What tools? What's your technique?

Are you patching your tubes?
Old 12-11-14, 11:16 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by rhm
I'm getting tired of bumping this thread.
Ah, bumping the thread isn't the problem. You are being bothered by the bumping of the rim which prompts you to bump this thread.

Originally Posted by ksryder
Here's my guesses -- either I'm damaging the tube with the levers when I remove the tire; or I'm pinching it when I seat that last little bit of the tire that's hard to get on even though I'm not using levers on that part.
I wouldn't want to disagree with rhm who has plenty of experience, but it seems not so likely that you are damaging the tubes when you remove the tire. In any case, you can test that by pumping up the tube a bit while it is off the rim just before you remount it. That's not a bad idea anyway because it verifies that you have a good tube before you waste time mounting a bad one.

You might be squeezing the tube between the tire bead and rim when you "encourage" that last bit of bead to go over the lip of the rim. I don't know what your usual procedure is but here are two key points. After you get the valve stem situated put enough air in the tube to help it hold some shape. This helps to stay up out of the way as you tuck it into the tire. Then as you go around the rim edging the tire over the lip, especially towards the last bit of length, push a tire iron up between the rim and tire to push the tube upward into the tire and away from the contact point between rim lip and tired bead. This is especially helpful if the tube is on the large side w.r.t. the tire and rim width, such as when using a 25-28mm tube with a 25mm tire on a 19mm (outer width) rim like the Sun M13-II.
Old 12-11-14, 11:39 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Good suggestions -- Next time I'll check the tube after I remove it to see if that was the problem.

I'm using these stiff plastic Bontrager tire levers my LBS sells -- I like them because they're hard to break but won't damage the rim.

Last edited by ksryder; 12-11-14 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 12:55 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
If you're managing to grab a section of the tube while your working the tire off the rim, you'll create a hole, no matter which levers you use. I find that I have to make sure the tube is fully deflated, then make sure the tire bead is free on both sides of the rim. That usually creates enough space to get a lever under the bead without catching a piece of tube. With some rim/tire combos, I don't need levers at all, but those aren't as common.
Old 03-23-15, 06:21 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Woah, I haven't bumped this thread in over three months! There was one I didn't write up here, on the back wheel of my commuter; it started losing air in mid-February. I took the tube out and held it under water, stretched every inch of it this way and that way, couldn't find the leak. Changed the valve and put it back on the bike; but it continued to lose air. Early March I took the tube out again and held it under water again, and this time I found the leak. Patched it and problem solved.

Anyway, went out to the bike shed at 4:45 am today and found the front wheel of the commuter bike flat. I rode another bike to the station and just patched the tube now. 32x700c pasela compe tire, no Kevlar but it had a flat guard in there. Puncture in the side wall, couldn't find the cause. Patched.

Last edited by rhm; 03-24-15 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 07:00 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Couple days ago was relaxing after a spirited SS ride home. Sitting on the front driveway with my bike 3 ft from me when the back tire exploded. I went straight up and so did my drink !

The cause: cheap rim strip allowed the high pressure tube to push through and expand into the inner chamber of the rim.

Moral: use better rim strips, I am a lucky dog.
Old 03-23-15, 07:56 PM
m3rle

Bikes: 1990 Specialized StumpJumper 1970 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have fresh Schwalbe Marathons and new tubes on my commuter. Spare tube kit and pump on board. Don't want a flat and definitely don't want to patch it on the road. Just got my mom's '59 Gazelle out from the Uncles rafters. Not sure how old the tubes & tires are, decades at least, but since they held air I rode it. 4 miles out I got a flat. That is a heavy bike to walk home! Realized I pumped them to near 60 when max is 45. User error. Now the Omafiets has fresh tubes and tires. Bit of a challenge with the full chaincase but not too bad when done in the home shop. She got a fresh Sturmey cable and some polish too.
Old 03-23-15, 08:23 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Road home from work last Tuesday night. Came out Wednesday morning, front tire was flat. I patched it but could not find the cause......holding air fine now. Tire is a Compass Barlow Pass EL 700x38. Generic tube
Old 03-23-15, 08:36 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by fender1
Road home from work last Tuesday night. Came out Wednesday morning, front tire was flat. I patched it but could not find the cause......holding air fine now.
I was tempted to write something glib like it will be flat in the morning. Then I realized there was something even glibber. Flats are most always caused by a hole somewhere in the tube. How did you patch it if you couldn't find the cause? You just put a patch randomly on the tube and that fixed it?
Old 03-24-15, 03:22 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Now Jim, I know you understand this already so I don't know why I even explain it to you... what he's saying is he found (and repaired) the puncture but not its cause.
Old 03-24-15, 04:09 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

He! The cause of the flat was the hole. The cause of the hole is still unknown. I don't know what's so complicated...
Old 03-24-15, 06:10 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I was tempted to write something glib like it will be flat in the morning. Then I realized there was something even glibber. Flats are most always caused by a hole somewhere in the tube. How did you patch it if you couldn't find the cause? You just put a patch randomly on the tube and that fixed it?
No, not randomly. I just ride with my thumb covering the hole. That way, I can reuse the patch whenever I need it!
Old 03-24-15, 06:39 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I few years ago I had a rash of flats. Unable to determine the exact cause.... I replaced the tires and bought new "thorn-proof" tubes.

OK.. I live and ride in the Midwest... nowhere near a thorn that could damage my tubes. But I figured those super thick tubes had to be of some help. Of course they do add weight and the tubes are too large to stuff into a saddle bag.... so I carried a "normal" tube as a spare. But neither of those tubes have ever went flat. That bike in now my rain/foul weather bike.

I got a new Trek last July and within the first 1000 miles (stock tubes) I'd had a flat. I haven't switched the Trek over to thorn-proof tubes and because of the added [wheel] weight I may not... unless I have a rash of flats. But I do know the thorn-proof tubes are a solution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.