Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carrying Groceries and more

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-17, 09:47 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

Since retiring, I've wanted to start running some of my small grocery and shopping errands on my bike. I'm currently tearing down and lubing my Trek 7.4 FX and decided it's time to start looking for a set of fenders and some rear panniers or baskets to hold my grocery bags.

What I need help with is identifying a nice set of fenders and some rear baskets. I understand the fender size is contingent on the width of the tires I choose, so that will be taken into account when I make my purchase. I don't need anything "quick release". As far as rear baskets or panniers go, I'll leave that up to you. These will more than likely be permanent and I would like something that would accept an average size bag of groceries.

I'd like to buy something sturdy, but it doesn't have to survive a nuclear blast. I'm also not interested in spending a fortune.
Old 10-31-17, 10:42 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Planetbike has a great variety of fenders. I prefer fenders which enclose the tire at the sides and come down on the back of the front wheel. So most water stays inside.

As for baskets I have different solutions on different bikes. I have a set of Wald folding baskets on one bike. These ones:
582 Rear Folding Basket - Waldsports

And I am using Ortlieb backroller panniers on another.
I personally prefer the panniers because:
- They have more volume than the baskets
- You can carry them in the store and load them in the store.
- They are waterproof.

But the Ortlieb panniers are expensive. But they are worth every penny. Mine are over 20 years old with no tears, holes or any other damage.

I also bought a cheap set of panniers for my wife at IKEA but she doesn't ride her bike often and has not used them much yet.

On the front of one of my bikes I use an Electra handlebar metal basket with quick release. A nice feature is that you can unhook it with the press of a button. This also allows you to take it inside the store.

And for the bulky items I have a trailer (Burley Travoy). And that trailer I take inside the store as well and use it as my shopping cart.
Old 10-31-17, 03:54 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Ortleibs are great bags. We use them on our tours as to most people I see touring.

They are also used widely in Europe for commuting/shopping. In our tour there, it seem like every commuter shopping at the grocery had an Ortlieb.

Love to hear about people thinking bike first and car second when it comes to commuting!
Old 11-04-17, 08:22 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
My wife and I use Ortliebs for touring or around town when we want whatever we are carrying to be enclosed (out of the weather or out of sight). But for grocery shopping or other around town errands we use open top panniers like JANDD Shop Hopper Panniers (https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FRR-SH). I know other manufacturers (Giant) have a similar product. The advantage of these panniers is they can be taken into the store, and we just drop our purchase in and go (no need for a secondary disposable bag). I've carried some pretty heavey and bulky loads using 2 of the JANDD panniers.
Old 11-04-17, 09:56 PM
TakingMyTime

Thanks for the suggestions. The ability to easily take them off the bike and carry them into the store and use them instead of paying for a bag is a huge plus.
Old 11-06-17, 11:21 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Originally Posted by Eggman84
My wife and I use Ortliebs for touring or around town when we want whatever we are carrying to be enclosed (out of the weather or out of sight). But for grocery shopping or other around town errands we use open top panniers like JANDD Shop Hopper Panniers (https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FRR-SH). I know other manufacturers (Giant) have a similar product. The advantage of these panniers is they can be taken into the store, and we just drop our purchase in and go (no need for a secondary disposable bag). I've carried some pretty heavey and bulky loads using 2 of the JANDD panniers.
The Ortlieb can be taken into the store as well. They easily disconnect from the bike rack.
Old 11-08-17, 08:35 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Another option to the baskets or a rear rack and panniers is to get a 2 kid trailer and leave out the seats and belts.
I've used a kiddie trailer to haul groceries, laundry, and shopping home for going on 20 years now.
Old 11-08-17, 03:13 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Single Wheel Bicycle Trailer for Cargo BCT-8002 | Discount Ramps

Cheap, easy to hook up and remove, and hauls a lot of groceries. Can't beat it for cases of toilet paper, laundry and other bulky items, plus it lets heavy stuff ride low enough to not be an issue.
Old 11-08-17, 04:55 PM
Harhir

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Single Wheel Bicycle Trailer for Cargo BCT-8002 | Discount Ramps

Cheap, easy to hook up and remove, and hauls a lot of groceries. Can't beat it for cases of toilet paper, laundry and other bulky items, plus it lets heavy stuff ride low enough to not be an issue.
I like these kind of trailers but I think they would not work on my bikes as I don't have and cannot use quick connects on my 3x7 SRAM/Sachs hubs with the internal gears and the little chain coming out of the axle on the right side.
Old 11-09-17, 11:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I use my Quickly released Ortlieb panniers and the checker puts the groceries in them without using any of the store carry-out bags.
Old 11-10-17, 07:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've used a pair of Nashbar Townie open top folding grocery bag panniers for two years, once or twice a week, often heavily loaded with up to a 20 lb container of cat litter or similarly heavy stuff. No problems. Quick and easy to use, mount and dismount, although I leave 'em on the bike. A standard paper grocery sack or similarly sized tote fits perfectly inside.

There are several similar models by other makers but at $20 the Nashbar Townies are the best buy in this style bag. That's half the former full price and when I got mine two years ago I waited for the sale price at $25 each.
Old 11-10-17, 05:54 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a milk crate on both my rides and id does nicely for small grocery runs. If I need anything more, I have my knapsack for additional carrying space. I'm going to see if it's possible to attach my panniers to said milk crate. If it's doable, bonus points for the extra carrying capacity.
Old 11-11-17, 07:04 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I have Saddleman saddlebags on my (avatar) Rollfast, a full set of paperboys and front basket on Rosa my 60s Rollfast and another pair of motorcycle saddlebags bought and coming to adapt.
Old 11-11-17, 07:05 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
PS I used to torture my '95 Schwinn with the loads I carried, even long lumber...but no more.
Old 11-12-17, 01:14 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've used a pair of Nashbar Townie open top folding grocery bag panniers for two years, once or twice a week, often heavily loaded with up to a 20 lb container of cat litter or similarly heavy stuff. No problems. Quick and easy to use, mount and dismount, although I leave 'em on the bike. A standard paper grocery sack or similarly sized tote fits perfectly inside.
I've done heavy stuff in panniers, but with dodging potholes and such, if I'm planning to carry more than the laptop and a couple days' groceries, I hook up the trailer to keep the load low.
Old 11-12-17, 01:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, the heavily loaded panniers can be tricky on my lighter weight rigid fork hybrid. I prefer the heavier comfort hybrid for hauling groceries. The weight, especially the heavier suspension fork, and longer wheelbase help stabilize the load. And the comfort hybrid has a compact frame and sloping top tube, so I can hoist a leg over the top tube more easily.
Old 11-16-17, 06:31 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-17-17, 06:36 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 981 Posts
Linus canvas rollups on my Raleigh Sports. They snap on and off a standard rack easily. Takes some coaxing but I can fit a 2/3 full paper grocery bag in each.

Old 11-18-17, 10:50 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
And the comfort hybrid has a compact frame and sloping top tube, so I can hoist a leg over the top tube more easily.
Anything higher than a true step-through, my old knee injuries keep me from swinging over the tube unless I nearly lay the bike down first. Same reason I can't mount from the right. OTOH, I can kick over a 2 gallon gas can with nozzle bungee'd on top of the rack.

As for the panniers, the Nashbar Rear Touring Panniers are on clearance now for $50. I caught them at an additional discount a few months ago, so paid $65 total for them and the now-discontinued front low rider rack. (They're way too big for the front rack, but it's perfect for my Axiom 20L pair.) Hard to beat the value for the size; I carry two laptops in one side fairly often, and either will hold a cold weather sleeping bag. When empty, they stay pretty flat against the frame, so not a lot of unnecessary drag.
Nashbar Rear Touring Panniers - Nashbar

Even still, hooking up the trailer for a grocery run is just good planning; I'd hate to get to the store, find a great deal on something too bulky for the panniers (like a huge pack of my preferred brand of toilet paper 50% off - that happened before I got the trailer, and more than once I've put other stuff back after realizing it would be too tricky to carry on the bike) and not have it with me.
Old 12-06-17, 06:55 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this picture looks like my old bike (not the one in the garage I am about to replace but the one I owned 20+ years ago and had to give up after having no indoor storage and the weather got to it one winter), it had baskets front and back and a cross piece between the back baskets I could strap something to... I used it for groceries and school stuff and basically life... 2 years without a car of my own and then even when I had a car but couldn't park it at the building I lived in... but had to park it blocks away.. the bad part of living in a college town before I could afford a house or moved further out. The bike in our garage got used a bunch but not that way as we didn't have a grocers close enough to make it feasable and then I got sick. I am getting a trike to get back into biking (vertigo attacks meant a nasty fall the last time I rode, even though they are more under control now, I am afraid of biking) and part of my plan is to use the trike for things like groceries- debating if the one basket in back is enough or if I should get another in front? Also I'll probably eventually be commuting 2 days a week on it... so it can't be TOO big or I won't be able to park it in the office.
Old 12-06-17, 11:06 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I recently got a burley travoy and am now a huge fan of this option. I can ride my bike without the added weight of racks/bags and when I want to shop, it's a 10 second click and off I go. Unclick at the store and roll the travoy in, load up, go back to bike and click on and go. There is NONE of the balancing and repacking business, none of the reattaching full grocery bags and the bike tips over, etc. Wish I had done this long ago. My bike is my car and I do all my shopping by bike.
Old 12-28-17, 09:11 AM
TakingMyTime

I just wanted to chime back in and thank you for all the suggestions. The rack is on the bike. My wife bought me a front and rear combo set of lights (quick release) for Christmas and I'm going to be going with the Nashbar grocery bags for now. I'm really getting excited about making my bike more versatile.