Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Can't connect Ultegra 8050 to Garmin 1000

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 01:05 PM
British

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to get my new rig set up. I've never had Di2 or a Garmin prior to this.

I have the new Ultegra Di2 group on my new Roubaix, and my understanding is that the new 8050 groupset has the wireless connectivity built in (whereas with the older 6800 set, it was an extra unit you had to buy.) Both my salesman and multiple online articles I've found seem to confirm this.

So I go into the Garmin, hit Add Sensor, Shimano Di2. It tells me to shift the gears on my bike, and it's supposed to detect that and complete the pairing. It does not do this.

What I have tried so far:
- Updating the Garmin (to version 14.60 IIRC?)
- Unplugging and reconnecting the little Di2 module by the handlebars, as described in the official Shimano Di2 manual.

What I have NOT tried:
- Updating the Di2 firmware with E-tube Project. I am reading many reports that the app is extremely unreliable and can easily "brick" your Di2, and wouldn't I have the latest version anyway since this groupset has only been on the market for a few months?

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 01-23-18, 01:40 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm open to correction but I don't think 8050 has wireless is built in. I think it still uses a wireless unit.

Shimano shows the EW-WU111 as an option.

ULTEGRA R8050 Di2
Old 01-23-18, 05:55 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
This confused me as well but Tim is correct, you need the 111 plus a cable. About another $100 sorry to say, $80 for the unit alone.

I put the WiFi unit on a short cable coming off the battery and sitting in the seat tube, with the longer B Junction cable connected to the 111 unit. Saw this on a YouTube Di2 install video.

It is as BTW, worth it as it allows you to set Synchro shift and other functions p, including system system settings via a phone or tablet app. And the connection to my Garmin was painless and a worthwhile function, especially gear combo.

Last edited by Steve B.; 01-23-18 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 09:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Steve B.
This confused me as well but Tim is correct, you need the 111 plus a cable. About another $100 sorry to say, $80 for the unit alone.

I put the WiFi unit on a short cable coming off the battery and sitting in the seat tube, with the longer B Junction cable connected to the 111 unit. Saw this on a YouTube Di2 install video.

It is as BTW, worth it as it allows you to set Synchro shift and other functions p, including system system settings via a phone or tablet app. And the connection to my Garmin was painless and a worthwhile function, especially gear combo.
Mine is set up the same way, in series between the seatpost mounted battery and junction B in the bottom bracket area. The wireless unit is wrapped in a little foam so it does not rattle around inside the seat tube.

I'm going to disagree about the usefulness. I've used mine exactly once in the 2000 miles I've had it and that was out of curiosity more than anything else. It turns out the iPhone version of the E-Tube software does not have the error check function as the tablet version does. That is the only reason I would ever use it and wish I had saved the $80.

-Tim-
Old 01-23-18, 09:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
And as expansion on Tim’s comment, the WiFi apps on Android and iOS only replicate in a wireless version what can be done via a PC running the E-Tube software and the battery charger cable via USB. This setup of the gearing and Synchro doesn’t need WiFi. And you might only set up once and tweak a few times (how many times have you tweaked it as question to Tim). There are some functions you can access via an iPhone in the field, not sure if they are useful.

I did note the other day that my Garmin 1000 allows some functionality such as switching between shift modes, right from the screen. And the Garmin does give a more accurate battery level reading then the A Junction

And it’s $80 for the unit and $15-20 for the extra cable. Choose wisely

Last edited by Steve B.; 01-24-18 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-24-18, 07:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Steve B.
And as expansion on Tim’s comment, the WiFi apps on Android and iOS only replicate in a wireless version what can be done via a PC running the E-Tube software and the batter charger cable via USB. This setup of the gearing and Synchro doesn’t need WiFi. And you might only set up once and tweak a few times (how many times have you tweaked it as question to Tim). There are some functions you can access via an iPhone in the field, not sure if they are useful.

I did note the other day that my Garmin 1000 allows some functionality such as switching between shift modes, ride from the screen. And the Garmin does give a more accurate battery level reading then the A Junction

And it’s $80 for the unit and $15-20 for the extra cable. Choose wisely

I should not have used the word "disagree" because there was nothing to disagree with. I am sorry about that. I should however, have been clearer.

Not using a GPS or head unit which integrates with Di2 means that I have little use for a wireless unit. The opposite is obviously true for someone integrating a Garmin where the wireless unit is not only useful but required.

I turned on synchro shift once, didn't like it and then shut if off. Other than that, after initial setup, have never tweaked the system. I can see the usefulness of the error check feature in the field if something should happen but the iPhone version of E-Tube software lacks that feature.

-Tim-
Old 01-24-18, 11:20 AM
British

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, all.

I've ordered the ew-wu111 unit. And it appears my LBS actually left me a place to plug it in when they assembled the bike - what I *thought* was the wireless unit is actually just an inline connector acting as a placeholder for where the wireless unit should go.

Will update when it arrives.
Old 01-26-18, 07:25 PM
British

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: Success!

My 80$ dongle arrived today, and plugged right in where the little placeholder EW-JC200 was, and the Garmin paired right up.

Now to figure out how to actually use this thing... My last cycling computer was a cheap little Bontrager 100...