Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

64-year -old bicycle commuter in near sub zero weather. I good idea?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

64-year -old bicycle commuter in near sub zero weather. I good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 05:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I'm in the low 50's. I've been out in weather down to the low 20's or mid teens, and it was just fine.

Snowboard helmets help keep the noggin warm.

I have ridden on ice and snow in the past, but it wasn't fun, at least when there was traffic around. I found a snow covered road with zero traffic, zero ruts, a couple of years ago, and it was a blast... even crashing. However, I think most of my riding will be on wet or dry pavement now. If you're lucky, that really cold weather will come with dry pavement.
Old 01-06-18, 09:00 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
64 here also, rode today. Temp topped out at -12 F with the wind chill hovering in the upper -20s to mid-30 range. Layers are important, cover your face and wear a mask - make sure you have eye protection. Careful to make sure your toes, knees and fingertips are well covered. Hydrate well, start with hot water in your water bottle.
Old 01-07-18, 06:16 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I'm 76 and now I ride when the temps are in the twenties, and in the past I've ridden in temps down to 15°f. I don't like to ride too much in the winter because drivers don't know how to drive on ice and snow.
Old 01-08-18, 07:09 PM
Monacomsw

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Pro, Early 70's Mizutani Ringyo Super eraph, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1983 Fuji Team, 1984 Fuji Opus III, 1985 Specialized Sequoia 650b, 1985 Specialized Expedition, 1984 and 1985 Fuji Sundance (84 with Copenhagen Wheel), 1997 Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use split finger (lobster claw) mittens and insert hand warmer packets to keep my hands warm.
Old 01-09-18, 03:35 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by italcyclist
My wife thinks I am crazy
ask me in 6 years. but honestly my Wife has thought I was crazy for a good 10 years now
Old 01-14-18, 01:27 PM
Big Wally

Bikes: Roubaix Comp, Cutthroat Rival

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
63 and fitness riding down to single digits F. Learned the hard way that studded tires are a good idea in Iowa winters. When the coefficient of friction suddenly approaches 0, gravitational acceleration's omnipresence is instantly asserted. Though good studded tires are painfully expensive, buying them is less painful than banged-up body parts, and less expensive than medical deductibles.
Old 01-14-18, 06:39 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
I no longer ride when it's near freezing. #1, I hate being cold now that I'm older, and no matter how well you dress, some part of you is going to get cold. #2, when I was younger, I was riding with temps near freezing, but not quite there. Snowbanks along the road were melting a bit in the sunlight. Came around a downhill corner where the road was now in the shade, and the melting snowbank water had re-frozen across the road. As Big Wally stated, "When the coefficient of friction suddenly approaches 0, gravitational acceleration's omnipresence is instantly asserted."
Old 01-16-18, 03:40 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'll be 64 in a few days and retired at age 63 in February last year. I bike commuted year-round for the last 10 years of my working career. Coldest commutes for me were in the mid-teens and that usually happened 1-2 times a winter, but I commuted numerous times every year when temperatures were in the 20s and 30s. I can't really speak to riding in temps below 10 F because it rarely ever gets that cold around here, and when it does I'll put off riding until later in the day or another day.

My commute was about an hour each way, 32 miles total. Riding for an hour in temps ranging from 15-30 F was no big deal for me since I have good cold-weather gear. The biggest problems for me were water bottles freezing and encounters with black ice following precipitation events (or water leaks). Fortunately I never had to fix a flat in very cold temperatures but that would always be a potential issue. I didn't have any problems staying warm enough for riding that long. I didn't ride if there was snow, sleet, freezing rain or ice on roads. I don't have any wheels with studded tires and it's not worth investing in them with the little bit of snow and ice we get in most winters.
Old 01-17-18, 04:30 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I'm much more afraid of riding when the temps go up and down around 32 (that's 0 in Centigrade, wherever that is). Even the nicest shoulder, bike lane, or bike path can have a sheet of ice you don't see until your helmet is banging against it. Studs only do so much -- they aren't magic. It's 26 miles each way to work for me so I have to disclose that I AM a fair weather commuter but I do like to ride all year round. If I could get there primarily on bike paths or lanes I'd have no problem commuting under 10 miles in virtually any conditions. If I had to ride in the dark with traffic and any kind of weather that would distract drivers... I'd have to think long and hard about that.
Old 02-06-18, 08:26 PM
MoBugs

Bikes: Co-op ADV 2.1, Gary Fisher, Eddy and Faraday

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm feeling very lucky at 57 years old, rain most of the time, not too much snow and tempetures around 46 f degrees. Very lucky.
Old 02-06-18, 08:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm in the low 50's. I've been out in weather down to the low 20's or mid teens, and it was just fine.

Snowboard helmets help keep the noggin warm.

I have ridden on ice and snow in the past, but it wasn't fun, at least when there was traffic around. I found a snow covered road with zero traffic, zero ruts, a couple of years ago, and it was a blast... even crashing. However, I think most of my riding will be on wet or dry pavement now. If you're lucky, that really cold weather will come with dry pavement.
Clifford, ice (and snow) is much less slippery when the temps go to 0F or colder. The slip factor is the ice being compressed by the tire and as a result, melting. When it's that cold, it doesn't melt. It is more like riding over a surface of steel or steel shavings in the case of snow (except studs do still work).

Ben
Old 02-09-18, 01:36 PM
Pitbull pedal

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
As far as clothing, layers would probably work the best but I recommend moving south. It is nice here in FL