Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Basics of getting started.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 12:54 PM
Abdiel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm about to pull the trigger on buying my first bike since I was a kid.
I bought my 6 year old his first bike and he can't go riding by himself so I'm getting a bike to go with him and to start using our growing network of bike trails here in my city. So I think I've decided on a hybrid.
My local bike shop has a Norco VFR 3 2014 that has never been owned. He got it from a store going out of business and he's selling off their old inventory on consignment.
If it is indeed new, is $375 a fair price?

Secondly, what should I look for in a helmet and other basic maintenance gear.

Any feedback appreciated...

Last edited by Abdiel; 02-02-18 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-02-18, 01:25 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
The common recommendation you'll get as a new biker is to get a used bike to see what you like. Then if you start to really enjoy biking, get something nicer that's more suited to your needs and desires.

You're looking at a new 'used' bike so you're already on the right path.

What it really comes down to is how much you like it? You can probably find an actually used bike on Craigslist that is suitable for you in the $100-$250 range. What's more important to you? Saving money or getting something new? (Neither answer is wrong)

If you really like the $375 bike and you're sure you could like it for a couple years, it sounds like a winner.

As far as other stuff....helmets are a personal choice. On a trail, I only wear mine to be a good example to my kid. When I ride on the street I never leave home without it, make sure the strap is tightened correctly, and have a blinking red light strapped to the back of it.

A bike multi tool is handy. It's like a swiss army knife for bike tools. Has all the commonly needed allen wrench sizes. You'll want to adjust most things on your bike after riding it a while to make it fit you better (angle of the shifters and brake levers, seat position, etc) A bottle cage is usually a good idea for carrying water.
Old 02-02-18, 01:39 PM
Abdiel

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a little wary of buying used as I don't know what I'm doing. We do have a well thought of used bike place that sells and services refurbished bikes so I'd be more likely to do that if I go used.
Old 02-02-18, 02:00 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Abdiel
I'm a little wary of buying used as I don't know what I'm doing. We do have a well thought of used bike place that sells and services refurbished bikes so I'd be more likely to do that if I go used.
You'd get a bigger selection in a single place as a used bike store. Makes shopping easier.

But again, if the old model you found for $375 fits well, is fun to ride, and you really like it and it's in your price range, go for it.

My 'test bike' to see if I wanted to ride more cost me $350 in 2003. It lasted me 14 years.

So if you really like the $375 bike, it might just be the right one for you.
Old 02-02-18, 02:02 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome!

This webpage shows what the Norco VFR-3 is today. It's a solid basic hybrid that will be a reliable riding companion for years. It has Shimano Altus level components, which is Shimano's entry level mountain bike groupset. I have some of these components on my family's bikes, and they're reliable and work great. The current VFR-3 uses a rear hub with a cassette, which is good. This design is stronger than the type of hub which uses a threaded-on freewheel, though either type will likely suit you fine. The current VFR-3 has internal cable routing which keeps a smooth look on the outside. Maintenance can be a little tougher, if you need to ever replace your outer cable housings, but this is infrequent and shouldn't be a factor in your purchase decision in my opinion.

If the 2014 VFR-3 is similar or identical to the current model, then I think $375 is a fair price; not a great price, but a fair price. Its mass market peers include the Giant Escape 2 ($460), an entry level Specialized Sirrus ($430-560), and the Trek FX 2 ($489).

Definitely buy on feel, though. If what they have is too large or too small, or it just doesn't fit right, then keep shopping...
Old 02-05-18, 08:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
bike looks harmless. the bike shop should have helmets but you can get a less expensive one at Walmart that would still be perfectly fine. a water bottle (& holder) is nice to have. a cable lock is handy. I like to have a rear rack & carry extra stuff we might need like band aides & cream, etc. as a parent, I know kids always need something ...
Old 02-05-18, 03:15 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Brand new that Norco is listed at $540. You got a good deal on this. https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/2014/vfr-3/

Looks like a great bike. Don't fall for the expensive helmets or gear. I agree with runrunn6, WalMart or good deals at the bike shop are just as nice depending on how you plan on riding.
Old 02-05-18, 06:21 PM
Bill Gem

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abdiel
Hi,
I'm about to pull the trigger on buying my first bike since I was a kid.
I bought my 6 year old his first bike and he can't go riding by himself so I'm getting a bike to go with him and to start using our growing network of bike trails here in my city. So I think I've decided on a hybrid.
My local bike shop has a Norco VFR 3 2014 that has never been owned. He got it from a store going out of business and he's selling off their old inventory on consignment.
If it is indeed new, is $375 a fair price?

Secondly, what should I look for in a helmet and other basic maintenance gear.

Any feedback appreciated...
The Norco is a nice bike. 700c wheels, 24 speeds, etc. It wouldn’t be my choice if the primary purpose is to keep pace with a 6 year old. You can do it of course, but the 700 wheels are good for getting moving. It might be easier to slow your pace with 26” wheels. And you certainly don’t need 24 speeds to bike with the 6 year old either. A 26 inch bike with a simpler gear set up can also be lots of fun when you’re biking without him.

Your next bike doesn’t have to be your last one. You can always trade up when he’s ready to trade up. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Bill Gem; 02-05-18 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 06:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Here is the Bicycle Bluebook:
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear...spx?id=3051785

So, as soon as you walk out the door, you'll have a $150 to $200 bike.

At the same time, your bike should be tuned up, ready to go, and hopefully even have some continuing support from the shop. Also ask if it has full first-owner warranty coverage as a bike being sold "new".

Also keep in mind that many bike shops are having big close-out sales on 2017 bikes now.

Is it a good deal? I can't say. It appears to be a pretty basic hybrid. I actually prefer non-suspension, and the bike looks clean. If the BBB photo is representative, then probably a pretty good rear derailleur, cheap crankset. Pedals and seat depends on what actually is on the bike.

Anyway, not a bad bike for the price.

It should suit you fine for the next few years until your kid gets old enough to ride faster than you
Old 02-05-18, 07:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Seems like a solid entry level bike at a decent price. But I would try and ride a few other similar models and see what feels best to you. They'll all be pretty similar in terms of quality, so it's really more about what feels best to you.
Old 02-09-18, 01:45 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I think it's a decent deal. I just bought my 24 y/o daughter a used VFR4 and the frame is very nice. I've been riding road bikes for 30 years and MTB's for almost that long. I played around on her bike and even though it was too small that thing was fun, it's the first time I've ridden a hybrid. Now I'm looking to get one.