Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Buing a Birdy in Taiwan,

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Buing a Birdy in Taiwan,

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 10:25 AM
Steve Nichols

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a Birdy in Taiwan,

Sorry if this has been dealt with in the past, but does anyone have any knowledge or experience of buying a new Birdy bike in Taiwan, thanks?

Last edited by Steve Nichols; 02-08-18 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 04:41 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Try these guys...

https://www.jeslerbike.com

Originally Posted by Steve Nichols
Sorry if this has been dealt with in the past, but does anyone have any knowledge or experience of buying a new Birdy bike in Taiwan, thanks?
Old 02-10-18, 06:43 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
You'd think there might be a price advantage too as that is where they are actually made. Just go to the factory and see if you can blag one at a discount.

Pacific Cycles
Old 02-10-18, 10:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
After the Earthquake they may be distracted, somewhat..
Old 12-15-19, 08:39 AM
Steve Nichols

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your input.
Old 12-25-19, 03:20 PM
jogya03
half way commuter

Bikes: few folders, road bike, and MTB

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Nichols
Thanks for your input.
just in case you are still in search for Birdy,, seller(s) in Malaysia seems able to give a good price. the classic one is almost 1000 USD. I don't check all details but it seems cheaper than neighbouring countries. https://m.mudah.my/list?q=Birdy+fold...doors&so=1&f=a
Old 12-26-19, 02:24 AM
Steve Nichols

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi joga03, Thanks very much for the link.
Old 12-26-19, 04:55 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
RM 5,799 = € 1,265/$1,400.

How much do Birdy go for in their native land of Taiwan?
Old 12-26-19, 01:11 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hydroformed versions start around $1500 USD and go up to around $4500 for the Rohloff model.
Old 12-26-19, 02:49 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
+ shipping (air/surface) + tariffs.

Any reliable retailer in Taiwan?
Old 12-26-19, 03:39 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
+ shipping (air/surface) + tariffs.

Any reliable retailer in Taiwan?
Plenty. But I'm pretty sure they won't ship out of the country. If you're specifically looking at the Riese and Muller versions, the company is very protective of their individual distributors and have strict contracts in place that don't allow such things.
Old 01-02-20, 07:25 PM
gleearch

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque Standard Disc, Tern Verge D9, Tern Link D8, Dahon Curve

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You can contact Max Yeh at Pacific Cycles directly to purchase a Birdy. Import tariffs and taxes are on you. They will ship but that's an additional cost. You can contact Max directly on their website. He's fairly quick to respond and helpful. The price he will quote is their MSRP, so don't expect a deal.

If you are traveling through the region, you might score a deal in the countries where they are popular like Malaysia and Japan. You could also pick up the many different accessories and custom upgrades from Colorplus or similar companies that focus on Birdys.

Japan will also have the rebadged versions of the Birdy like BD-1. Lots of used bikes available too. I had zero luck trying to buy a used Birdy bike through Rakuten and Japan Yahoo Auctions. Most sellers will not ship to the US.
Old 01-02-20, 09:28 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by gleearch
Lots of used bikes available too. I had zero luck trying to buy a used Birdy bike through Rakuten and Japan Yahoo Auctions. Most sellers will not ship to the US.
Rakuten began recently to take the international shipping out of the hands of individual sellers and started handling it themselves, just like Ebay. It got easier to order through them, but the individual sellers can presumably still opt out from that. From the buyer's side you can use the Rakuten Global Express, establishing a personal address in Japan - no own experience with this.
Old 01-04-20, 02:25 AM
gleearch

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Rakuten began recently to take the international shipping out of the hands of individual sellers and started handling it themselves, just like Ebay. It got easier to order through them, but the individual sellers can presumably still opt out from that. From the buyer's side you can use the Rakuten Global Express, establishing a personal address in Japan - no own experience with this.
I actually signed up for it but received an email when I bid on a Birdy and was told to cancel my bid because they would not be able to ship the bicycle. When I pointed out that I was going to use Rakuten Global Express, they stated that it would not be possible due to some restrictions about bikes. So I gave up.
Old 01-04-20, 04:51 AM
Jipe

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
You can contact Max Yeh at Pacific Cycles directly to purchase a Birdy. Import tariffs and taxes are on you. They will ship but that's an additional cost. You can contact Max directly on their website. He's fairly quick to respond and helpful. The price he will quote is their MSRP, so don't expect a deal..
Pacific Cycles won't sell+ship a standard Birdy in a country that is covered by Riese & Müller. Their agreements with Riese & Müller doesn't allow them to do that.

But they will accept to sell+ship special versions of the Birdy like the titanium Birdy which isn't a Riese & Müller product.

I wonder if Pacific Cycle will accept to sell+ship the new E-Birdy which isn't avaiable from Riese & Müller ?
Old 01-04-20, 10:20 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I actually signed up for it but received an email when I bid on a Birdy and was told to cancel my bid because they would not be able to ship the bicycle. When I pointed out that I was going to use Rakuten Global Express, they stated that it would not be possible due to some restrictions about bikes. So I gave up.
Sorry about that and thanks for trying and reporting. I was hoping that Rakuten had enough muscle to handle the shipping of bikes. From the level of a regular consumer, the international shipping of larger and heavier items can quickly become cumbersome, expensive and even next to impossible on the account of insurmountable amount of paperwork. However, companies may have established channels that can make such shipping viable and economic. For buying smaller items from Japan, I have been using services of an intermediary, a vendor from Ebay, who adds to the income by acting as an intermediary for the very purchases from sellers in Japan who do not ship abroad. However, for larger items this would run against the barrier I mentioned, that I painfully tested in the past.
Old 01-23-20, 12:55 AM
gleearch

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jogya03
just in case you are still in search for Birdy,, seller(s) in Malaysia seems able to give a good price. the classic one is almost 1000 USD. I don't check all details but it seems cheaper than neighbouring countries. https://m.mudah.my/list?q=Birdy+fold...doors&so=1&f=a
I noticed that the bike store listed on that site is called Elegant Bikes located in KL, Malaysia. On checking their FB site, it only shows Birdy -3 standard disc models for RM3,999= USD$982 at current rates.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Elegant-...54171048827436

Do you know of other stores in Malaysia that sell the sport or touring versions?
I'm tempted to buy one there and stuff it into my luggage.

Does anyone know if Birdys are cheaper in Malaysia vs Singapore?
Old 02-12-20, 04:08 PM
Jipe

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Pacific Cycles has a new online shop allowing to shop from almost everywhere in the world ??
Pacific Cycles online store