Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling club - Did I make a mistake?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling club - Did I make a mistake?

Old 02-07-18, 12:40 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
It's not uncommon for actual speeds to be a lot faster than posted speeds. Or, maybe I should say "maximum actual speeds" are a lot faster than "posted average speeds". So if you're riding 13.5 mph, you may be way slower than a 15-17 mph ride, not a little slower.

Do figure out how to get back home on your own, though!
Old 02-08-18, 01:32 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Try more groups if you can. Houston has several groups that do "no-drop" rides with riders around your pace.
Old 02-08-18, 09:16 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
you're not stuck. you can stop riding with them. if it was a mistake it is easily reversible
Old 02-08-18, 10:23 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
My club runs +/- 60 rides a month in spring, summer and fall months of different lengths and speeds. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we run 5 simultaneous rides out of the same location. We often have +/-100 riders those nights. The 21+ mph group goes out first with the 18-20 mph group following a few seconds later and so on until the 10-13 mph group heads out last. Everyone follows the same route for the first 5-6 miles and the same route the last few miles. In between groups may follow the next higher group longer for a while. That way someone who can't keep up knows they can drop and be picked up by another group.

It's nice when riders know that there are groups they can aspire to. It also allows the fast riders to attend on recovery days and still see friends.

Talk to your club's ride leader, ride captain or whoever and see if they'll try this multi ride concept. We've been doing these rides for over 15 years and they remain very popular.
Old 02-11-18, 08:32 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
My club runs +/- 60 rides a month in spring, summer and fall months of different lengths and speeds. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we run 5 simultaneous rides out of the same location. ...
It's nice when riders know that there are groups they can aspire to. It also allows the fast riders to attend on recovery days and still see friends.

Talk to your club's ride leader, ride captain or whoever and see if they'll try this multi ride concept. We've been doing these rides for over 15 years and they remain very popular.
This is cool. Something for almost everyone to slot into. And my advice - bring maps. I did that for 2-3 years and was dropped from dozens of rides until I built up enough strength to ride with groups where I felt comfortable and safe. Have fun!
Old 02-12-18, 02:19 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,614 Times in 765 Posts
I have found out that there are some club members closer to my age and physical conditioning, that do group rides at a slower pace starting when the weather gets warmer. And, the rides are during the weekdays when the young, fast guys are all stuck at work and we retirees have the time. :-)
Meanwhile, I'll keep riding with Zwift to improve my endurance.
Old 02-12-18, 03:57 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Thanks for all the suggestions, and also for letting me know I'm not alone in this situation.

I've put together an 'easy' ride (about 20 miles with one difficult* climb - there is no such thing as a flat route around here) and may present it at the next club meeting as a possible OSD (Old, Slow, Decrepit) group ride. If the club okays it, the club insurance will cover everyone riding it. Riders could opt out of the climb and shorten the route by a little more than a mile if they wanted to. We'll see how that idea flys.

*the level of difficulty on this climb refers to the agony my body will go through accomplishing it.
I see from your profile you are around Boiling Springs, SC. I am close just to the east around York. Just a tad to far from you. I also ride a bit faster but I feel your pain.

I know there are several clubs over in that area, specifically the Freewheelers who sponser the Assault on Mt Mitchell.

Clubs can be funny and very depressing for those of us who can't keep up. Around the Charlotte area there is a website called Weekly Rides (dot com) that has all the local rides including group rides from a whole bunch of areas. Maybe there is something like that out your way where you can check any local rides.

Personally, I have not gone the club route as I have found them to be pretty clicky and I am not into playing games of who is faster etc. So, I have tended to stay away from formal club ride and have stuck to a few of the local weekly rides from the website along with riding my own loops.

Get into a local bike shop and ask them about any websites or local rides.

good luck...and I know very well the types of roads you are riding as I have ridden in that area. Tour de Peach rings a bell and runs out of Gaffney I believe.

john
Old 02-12-18, 08:02 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately I cannot ride my DF again. Neck injury. However, I rode many years in group rides, and I loved them. I remember one ride leader that finally posted the real ride speed ' He posted that this ride would be "Balls To The Wall". Nothing like the truth. Another post said it was no drop, which meant that if you leave a piece of clothing at the start, if you do not come in within 24 hours they will send out blood hounds. As I said, there is nothing like telling the truth.