Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What's it like touring beyond 6 weeks?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What's it like touring beyond 6 weeks?

Old 02-10-18, 06:51 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I am sure it is different for every one. I have found that I don't really get into the groove for at least a couple weeks and then it starts to feel like both the "normal" routine and more relaxed. Beyond that I think it depends on your situation. If you have a spouse and or other family you are likely to miss them enough to get homesick at some point and want to be home. How long that takes depends on both you as an individual and the trip itself. Having a specific goal like reaching another coast or something would keep most folks focused on the trip longer. Barring such a goal I'd be ready to head home sooner. For me even with a goal I am likely to be ready to go home after 10 weeks or so.

Those with no spouse, kids, or grand kids are probably more likely to miss home a lot less if at all.
Old 02-10-18, 06:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Funny I should stumble into this thread. After writing my post above, I was going through old stuff trying to get rid of clutter. I came upon letters I wrote to my father (RIP) and stepmother (RIP) on that trip. They were worried about me because I told them how lonely I was. I said I knew I would be lonely and that I would learn how to deal with it. And I wrote that I did learn how to deal with it and I was glad of it.

I remember changing directions often. I met someone at a youth hostel who was traveling by car. I rode with him in his car for a day or two, which brought me much farther than I would have gone by bike. That's an example of open-ended travel.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-13-18, 07:48 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I do think threads like this are useful. It helps to be aware that "travel fatigue" can set in, and there is a difference between doing short tours and long tours.

As others have mentioned, some can just keep going and going on tours and don't seem to be much affected by it, but others of us need to plan breaks or at least be prepared to take breaks now and then.

It might just be a matter of stopping in the mountains or at a beach or something for a few days or week or so ... just staying in one place, not packing up each morning, getting to know the area a bit.
I've never done a real 'extended' tour, just a 500-mile out and 500-mile back in my distant past. 5-6 days riding each way, with a week of visiting in the middle. So in reality, a 5-6 day ride, a week off and a 5-6 day return trip. Yes, I ran a bunch of 100-mile days together. Not something I ever want to do again.

Therefore, my 'retirement' tour is a modest 1100-mile ride -- one comprised of five or six 40- to 60-mile days, then a PLANNED day or two off, and continuing this cycle (pun intended) for three weeks or so. Of course, weather dependent. I'm getting too old to be fighting strong headwinds or downpours just to maintain 'the schedule'. Pick the days! No set schedule or deadline.

Why only 40-60 miles/day? So I have time to check out the local history/flavor/see the sights! Oh, and eating at local 'greasy spoons'/diners/etc, and visit local museums/points of interest. Do laundry. Read a book at a library if it is raining... What I'm saying is that I want to savor the 'tour' experience instead of get-there-itits distance.