Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Pedal Help/Suggestion/Questions

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 11:43 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Duplicate of a post from another forum, just trying to cover all my bases.

I'm going to be building up a Crockett over the weekend for general use. Mostly gravel/trails/chasing my kids around the park stuff, but I'm planning on spending some time on the road getting to the gravel and trails. I'm not going to rule out the possibility of a race here or there, but that's not the primary goal.

I have an old pair of Shimano PD-M515s, which work fine, but my complaint with 2-bolt SPD has always been that they don't feel as stable side to side as road pedals. On road I've been a big fan of wide platforms (SPD-SL and speedplay) with stiff carbon soles. My previous experiences with SPD has generally been with more flexible nylon/plastic soles, so I have a pair of Empires on order in hopes that they will be as stiff as the Factor Techlace I'm using on the road (both are EC90 soles).

My question is this... Given a good stiff shoe, which I'm assuming the Empire is, how much of a difference will I notice between my old M515s and say a M8000, and would I see any additional benefit going to something with a larger for/aft platform such as an M530 or M8020?
Old 02-16-18, 12:56 PM
bob1919a4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not much

Assuming you are using a stiff shoe, I believe you won’t feel much difference in the pedals.
Old 02-16-18, 03:36 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Are you able to tighten up the tension on the M515s? I have some older Shimano 959 pedals that I recently tightened the spring tension and it brought them back to exactly the tension I wanted (I also replaced the cleats which didn't seem to make as much of a difference).