Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 11:25 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by airforce1
Looks like mostly positive reviews here.

Anyone here previously use a Garmin 520 and moved to the Bolt?

Also, has anyone tried integrating the Bolt to Garmin Vector 3 power meter pedals?

Thanks!
You may want to ask Wahoo. They love answering questions that get people to move from Garmin to them.
Swapping From a Garmin to a BOLT | Wahoo Fitness Blog
Old 02-01-18, 11:35 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
You may want to ask Wahoo. They love answering questions that get people to move from Garmin to them.
Swapping From a Garmin to a BOLT | Wahoo Fitness Blog
Originally Posted by airforce1
Looks like mostly positive reviews here.

Anyone here previously use a Garmin 520 and moved to the Bolt?

Also, has anyone tried integrating the Bolt to Garmin Vector 3 power meter pedals?

Thanks!
What he said. Wahoo support is very responsive.

FWIW, I think any ANT+ power meter should work. According to Wahoo, that includes the Vector: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/...ith-the-ELEMNT
Old 02-05-18, 01:14 PM
Zach0317

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cadence Sensor

I'm having to replace the battery in my cadence sensor about every 10 days. Is this normal?
Old 02-05-18, 01:17 PM
ksryder

Originally Posted by Zach0317
I'm having to replace the battery in my cadence sensor about every 10 days. Is this normal?
No.
Old 02-05-18, 01:19 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015
I just picked one up yesterday. Setup was easy enough but I'm wondering if anyone has one? What's your experience with it? Would you buy it again or return it? Any hidden features I should try/know about?
I returned my ELEMNT because it didn't accurately record data, and the maps didn't work well for cycling. The minor roads used by cyclists disappear when you zoom out, you can't pan the maps to follow them zoomed in, and there are no street names for you to orient yourself.

After 2 years they still have data problems with some power meters, and haven't fixed the map issues.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-06-18 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 03:13 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Zach0317
No. Mine last at least one year and usually almost two. Two things: 1. You have bad batteries which is not at all uncommon or 2. your sensor is consuming too much power.

Since so many things on or associated with my bike now have CR2032 batteries, I just replace them all in the spring every year on all of our bikes. It's just easier that way.

J.
Old 02-05-18, 03:23 PM
ksryder

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
No. Mine last at least one year and usually almost two. Two things: 1. You have bad batteries which is not at all uncommon or 2. your sensor is consuming too much power.

Since so many things on or associated with my bike now have CR2032 batteries, I just replace them all in the spring every year on all of our bikes. It's just easier that way.

J.
Truth. I'm genuinely surprised by the amount of CR2032 batteries that are bad fresh out of the package.
Old 02-08-18, 02:30 AM
Magnil

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
I returned my ELEMNT because it didn't accurately record data, and the maps didn't work well for cycling. The minor roads used by cyclists disappear when you zoom out, you can't pan the maps to follow them zoomed in, and there are no street names for you to orient yourself.

After 2 years they still have data problems with some power meters, and haven't fixed the map issues.
Yes, return it while you can. I did not do it in time which I regret. It might be ok if you only ride road and add a speed sensor. Without speed sensor it reports to low speed.

For mountainbiking it is really bad. The GPS accuracy tells you you are of track and segments don't stop recording until you passed end point with 30-40 meters if you are in the woods. Garmin, Iphones, android phones all work much better.
Old 02-08-18, 07:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnil
Yes, return it while you can. I did not do it in time which I regret. It might be ok if you only ride road and add a speed sensor. Without speed sensor it reports to low speed.

For mountainbiking it is really bad. The GPS accuracy tells you you are of track and segments don't stop recording until you passed end point with 30-40 meters if you are in the woods. Garmin, Iphones, android phones all work much better.
As much as I liked the reliability and ease of setup on my Bolt, as well as the seamless integration with RWGPS, I thought the maps basically sucked. I realized quickly that the devices are road centric and the maps would be useless for any adventure cycling off a paved road.

One advantage in this type of use to a Garmin, is the ability to install different maps that are more useful for other-than-Road trips.

Maybe Wahoo pays attention to this and will change its format. Not likely though.
Old 02-17-18, 03:26 PM
Falchoon

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Truth. I'm genuinely surprised by the amount of CR2032 batteries that are bad fresh out of the package.
If you buy brand name ones such as Energizer you generally don't have this problem but if you buy the cheap ones off eBay or Aliexpress you do.
Old 02-17-18, 04:23 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Falchoon
If you buy brand name ones such as Energizer you generally don't have this problem but if you buy the cheap ones off eBay or Aliexpress you do.
Ummm. No. I have had this problem with brand name batteries too. It’s inherent to the technology. Testing disposable batteries is like testing firecrackers.
Old 02-17-18, 04:28 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Falchoon
Ummm. No. I have had this problem with brand name batteries too. It’s inherent to the technology. Testing disposable batteries is like testing firecrackers.
Amazon is known to be indifferent to fakes of CR2032 and other std battery sizes. The fakes are so pervasive, and the copying of packaging so perfect at this point, that honestly the only way to be 100% sure of authenticity is to get them directly off the loading dock of Energizer/Duracell etc.
Old 02-17-18, 09:58 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Amazon is known to be indifferent to fakes of CR2032 and other std battery sizes. The fakes are so pervasive, and the copying of packaging so perfect at this point, that honestly the only way to be 100% sure of authenticity is to get them directly off the loading dock of Energizer/Duracell etc.
My experience was with a franchised distributor to Sony. They buy direct from Sony so doubtful they were a fake. I think the industry as a whole is not that great on outgoing quality.
Old 05-11-18, 03:54 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Would you think the Bolt be too small a screen size to use for a 54 year old cyclist eyes? If i have to use the GPS i would put on my bi-focal sunnies - dualeyewear. It's got a +1.5 diopter correction at the bottom.

I have the magellan Cyclo 505 - a brilliant piece of navigating GPS unit but it's pretty heavy to be toted around unnecessary. I'm hoping the Bolt could be my go-to GPS unit for not so heavy navigation requirements.
Old 05-11-18, 06:57 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Machoman121
Would you think the Bolt be too small a screen size to use for a 54 year old cyclist eyes? If i have to use the GPS i would put on my bi-focal sunnies - dualeyewear. It's got a +1.5 diopter correction at the bottom.
This is precisely why I got the larger Elemnt. They have the same software but the Elemnt has a slightly larger screen. The Bolt is tiny. The Elemnt is not big but bigger.
Old 05-11-18, 09:09 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

I have the magellan Cyclo 505 - a brilliant piece of navigating GPS unit but it's pretty heavy to be toted around unnecessary. I'm hoping the Bolt could be my go-to GPS unit for not so heavy navigation requirements.
I tired the 505...I found the screen hard to read...the Bolt is monochrome LCD and quite readable in direct light. How many data fields do you think you'd want? Remember with the Bolt you can zoom in/out on the fly changing the number of data fields and making them bigger or smaller.
Old 05-11-18, 04:41 PM
Machoman121

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I tired the 505...I found the screen hard to read...the Bolt is monochrome LCD and quite readable in direct light. How many data fields do you think you'd want? Remember with the Bolt you can zoom in/out on the fly changing the number of data fields and making them bigger or smaller.
Agree 100% - the cyclo 505 (brilliant navigation) is not always clear to read - there's a dullness to the screen which does make it hard to read when you are on the bike.

No - I don't use a lot of data fields - just need the occasional navigation to tell me where the turns are for the infrequent routes that i often use.

my theory is that for something small like the Bolt monochrome should work better- provided the TBT's prompts are clear too. I mean you'll want to be able to easily see the TBT's countdown to a turn. From what i gathered the TBT countdown's font cannot be enlarged.

I want something much lighter than the Cycl505 to use and yet still provide navigation. So i'm looking at the Bolt or the new (not out yet) edge 520 Plus. I wonder if the Bolt's monochrome would still have the better readibility screen over the newer Edge 520 Plus.

Last edited by Machoman121; 05-11-18 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-12-18, 02:51 PM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 56 year old eyes and I generally don't have a problem with the display. Can I see everything on it? Well, not really. But the turn prompts are easy to read and they are reinforced with both audio and LEDs. The audio is different for left turn, right turn, and straight ahead, and the LEDs flash in a pattern that makes the direction of the turn clear.
Old 05-12-18, 02:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by wnl256
I have 56 year old eyes and I generally don't have a problem with the display. Can I see everything on it? Well, not really. But the turn prompts are easy to read and they are reinforced with both audio and LEDs. The audio is different for left turn, right turn, and straight ahead, and the LEDs flash in a pattern that makes the direction of the turn clear.
There's audio ?.

Actually I have 63 yr. old eyes and 95 yr. old ears, thus the audio prompts on all these devices are wasted on me.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-12-18, 03:04 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Steve B.
There's audio ?.

Actually I have 63 yr. old eyes and 95 yr. old ears, thus the audio prompts on all these devices are wasted on me.
Sounds like you're in the market for a Thumper:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...throne-thumper

https://drumsonsale.com/pearl-throne-thumper.html
Old 05-12-18, 06:18 PM
Machoman121

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not owning it yet but there's quite a few things i already like about the Bolt already:
  1. the ability to switch off the back light completely
  2. ease of zooming (maps and data) - this is a big plus
  3. monochrome screen - i believe this is a huge factor in the readibility of the screen in all conditions while on the bike. Color screens are over-rated on the use of the bikes
I'll have to think about the lack of re-routing.....if the monochrome maps are way superior.....i don't mind sacrificing the re-routing features.
Old 05-12-18, 07:15 PM
JohnJ80

Not owning it yet but there's quite a few things i already like about the Bolt already:
  3. monochrome screen - i believe this is a huge factor in the readibility of the screen in all conditions while on the bike. Color screens are over-rated on the use of the bikes
I'll have to think about the lack of re-routing.....if the monochrome maps are way superior.....i don't mind sacrificing the re-routing features.
Do understand that if you have your phone, you can select a new point (poi, address etc...) and force a rout to that point which is then instantly pushes to the Wahoo Elemnt or Bolt. It’s pretty much the same as rerouting on the bike computer in most cases but you don’t need to suffer through the insanely frustrating process of entering text on the bike computer itself.
Old 05-12-18, 07:31 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Do understand that if you have your phone, you can select a new point (poi, address etc...) and force a rout to that point which is then instantly pushes to the Wahoo Elemnt or Bolt. It’s pretty much the same as rerouting on the bike computer in most cases but you don’t need to suffer through the insanely frustrating process of entering text on the bike computer itself.
Yes...but IIRC you need data service on said phone. No cell data--no rerouting. A frustratingly large portion of the USA has basically no cellular service for most carriers. As a rule, the further you get form Interstate corridors the less likely you are to have data.
Old 05-12-18, 07:50 PM
Steve B.

The monochrome maps are not in any way superior. Wahoo has taken some grief for the basic imaging of the maps. Having used a Bolt and a few Garmins I find the color maps on the Garmins offer far more detail, partly beceause they are in color. The ability to differentiate between a road and a river or body of water, as example, which show up as blue on a Garmin, is a more useful feature, IMO.

As well, I find the Wahoo maps to be road centric, no ability to load a Topo maps is a huge feature to me when I explore gravel roads, that in some instances are not in the Wahoo map. Garmin gives you more flexibility in their respect.
Old 06-21-18, 11:22 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Recently got a Bolt, & I'm having trouble with the app.

It struggles & crashes on my iphone 6. It worked at first, then worked when getting best cell reception.

Now, not really, even after rebooting phone, unpairing/repairing head unit, & uninstalling/reinstalling app as recommended by Wahoo support.

I have little other stuff running on the phone.

Suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.