Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Crazy Idea for Schwinn Meridian/Town and Country Trike

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 07:16 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts

Has anyone Tried slapping a Sunlite Products springer fork on a Meridian/Town and Country Trike?
Would doing so compromise the handling or carrying capacity?

Last edited by Sirrus Rider; 03-17-12 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-18-12, 05:47 AM
Dave Armstrong
DelawareDave

Bikes: 3 mountian bikes 1 recumbent bike 1 racing bike 5 stingrays 1 hybrid 2 beach crusers 1 tandem and at least 6 more that are beyond description

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Here's one with a springer fork and dual evo motors mounted on the front. It rode well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 231.jpg (101.0 KB, 207 views)
Old 03-18-12, 03:24 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Originally Posted by Dave Armstrong

Here's one with a springer fork and dual evo motors mounted on the front. It rode well.
Will the spring on the springer compress any if I throw a keg of beer on the back? (Say for argument about 40-50lbs)?
Old 03-18-12, 05:30 PM
Dave Armstrong
DelawareDave

Bikes: 3 mountian bikes 1 recumbent bike 1 racing bike 5 stingrays 1 hybrid 2 beach crusers 1 tandem and at least 6 more that are beyond description

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think you might need wheelie bars so the weight does not shift back too far. I had extensions on a springer fork that did make it compress too far. I took the bolt out of the center of the springer fork and put a piece of rubber hose inside and put the bolt back in. That did keep it from compressing too far. A drum brake on the front would be good too, with all te extra weight you'll have you will need extra braking power. One consideration in carrying a keg would be if the route home is bumpy enough that you couldn't tap the keg when you got home. That would be a disapointment.
Old 03-18-12, 06:59 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Originally Posted by Dave Armstrong
I think you might need wheelie bars so the weight does not shift back too far. I had extensions on a springer fork that did make it compress too far. I took the bolt out of the center of the springer fork and put a piece of rubber hose inside and put the bolt back in. That did keep it from compressing too far. A drum brake on the front would be good too, with all te extra weight you'll have you will need extra braking power. One consideration in carrying a keg would be if the route home is bumpy enough that you couldn't tap the keg when you got home. That would be a disapointment.
Okay you convinced me.. I'd look cool, but on the whole is a bad idea..
Old 03-19-12, 05:48 PM
Dave Armstrong
DelawareDave

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
tap the keg before the ride home, make lots of friends along the way.
Old 03-20-12, 03:47 PM
PaPa

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
Will the spring on the springer compress any if I throw a keg of beer on the back? (Say for argument about 40-50lbs)?
If the ballast is placed slightly forward of the rear axle, you'll be fine. Considering the weight they add, I don't see much use for a springer on a trike.
Old 02-18-18, 01:54 PM
BikeDood53

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
a springer fork ? Where did you get that seat back ?
Old 02-18-18, 08:46 PM
bkentr

Bikes: yes, Bikes

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just my own opinion,

I don't think that's so crazy.
And that is a great looking back rest. Great for lumbar support.
Does that back rest jolt your back when going over bumps? A front suspension might help the jolt if it does.

As far as weight, if the keg is 50 lbs, what does the rider weigh?
I'm over 200, and if the bike can support me, another 50 in the back of a trike should work. Balance might an issue
if the keg is too far back behind the rear axle. Foam padding for less suds.

have you seen the pic of the trike I named "other" ? It's on this "Utility" sub forum.
That weighs over 400 lbs, cart and tools, and takes the extra weight. Not fast though, but that's mostly because
the "cart is before the horse" and steers funny at speed. Then when I mount up, that's over 600 lbs total.

One thing if favor of trying out a springer fork is that if it doesn't work out, put the stock parts back on.

A reason I do not think the idea is crazy is that when riding a 2 wheeled bike, a rider can "unweight" the seat
by standing on the pedals, and letting the bike rock over a bump instead of hitting it so hard.

When riding a tandem or trike the 'bump" is transferred to the handlebars/rider full force.

Am also considering adding a MTB suspension fork to the long wheelbase utility bicycle I'm planing.
Still just on paper, but using drawings and doodles is how I end up with something that might work.
Old 02-18-18, 11:11 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Originally Posted by BikeDood53
a springer fork ? Where did you get that seat back ?
Seat back was standard with the '07 Town & Country.
Old 02-19-18, 09:43 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
the only thing I don't like when I build my own bikes with springer's is extra sag (I'm usually working with steel and admittedly making them too heavy).

I've sometimes found a smaller spring at the hardware store and wound it into the stock spring, but I'm always wondering if there are optional stiffer, maybe slightly longer springs to be found.
Old 02-24-18, 02:57 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ideas.. ideas... that seat is an idea... I am getting a trike- plan is to order in a week or 2.. (depending on weather forecast)