Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Late 80's ? Dahon stowaway

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Late 80's ? Dahon stowaway

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 04:57 PM
Miller72

Bikes: Flandria, Motobecane, Carbela, Humber, Robin Hood(2), Schwinn, Columbia(2), GT Performer BMX...too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
Please stop quoting me or I will stop helping you as everytime time you do quote me I get an email notification. I guess I am getting to be a crabby old man. Roger
Roger dont guess and just go with your gut. You must just be a crabby old man.

The guy is starting at zero and you were helping him along great, getting good results for him and he seemed to be getting right into it...it would stink if you just turned him off of bikes.

I know if you were directly helping me I would be quoting you to keep the dialogue cohesive.

-Miller
Old 02-20-18, 06:07 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Instead of criticizing me why didn't you help him. I notice he didn't quote again. Roger
Old 02-20-18, 08:22 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Roger, there is a setting with a check box user tagging that I think you need to uncheck not to get emails from being quoted.
Old 02-20-18, 08:32 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
As a start, size the cable the same length. It does look long but it is hard to make a clean cut of the cable housing. Roger is right about getting a purpose built cutter. An awl or grinder can help to open the housing if the cut is not clean. You can always cut it shorter later if it is too long. Post videos if necessary.
Old 02-21-18, 07:27 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Schwinnsta you are correct and I have unchecked it several times but is seems to always revert to sending the emails. As I said as a grumpy old man it is just my complaint and not really all that important. Roger

PS I went through an unchecked things again. I will see how long that lasts this time. Roger

Last edited by rhenning; 02-21-18 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 06:35 PM
Hickory n steel

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll try as suggested.

Btw I don't check the forum every day, so I personally like getting the email notification though I can see why some might not so I stopped quoting him.
Old 02-25-18, 07:41 PM
Miller72

Bikes: Flandria, Motobecane, Carbela, Humber, Robin Hood(2), Schwinn, Columbia(2), GT Performer BMX...too many

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hickory n steel
I'll try as suggested.

Btw I don't check the forum every day, so I personally like getting the email notification though I can see why some might not so I stopped quoting him.
HnS, me too, it's a nice option to have and utilize if desired.
As far as the bike, I agree here with the excellent advice already given and Schwinnsta advice here should get you there...

Schwinnsta, 02-20-18 10:32 PM
"As a start, size the cable the same length. It does look long but it is hard to make a clean cut of the cable housing. Roger is right about getting a purpose built cutter. An awl or grinder can help to open the housing if the cut is not clean. You can always cut it shorter later if it is too long. Post videos if necessary."

Sharp wire cutters, ****s, a good craftsman or Klein linesman.
The all punch is a trick for the cable ends I have used when needed since the '80's...still works great to clean up a ragged cut.

-Miller
Old 02-25-18, 08:09 PM
Hickory n steel

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miller72
HnS, me too, it's a nice option to have and utilize if desired.
As far as the bike, I agree here with the excellent advice already given and Schwinnsta advice here should get you there...

Schwinnsta, 02-20-18 10:32 PM
"As a start, size the cable the same length. It does look long but it is hard to make a clean cut of the cable housing. Roger is right about getting a purpose built cutter. An awl or grinder can help to open the housing if the cut is not clean. You can always cut it shorter later if it is too long. Post videos if necessary."

Sharp wire cutters, ****s, a good craftsman or Klein linesman.
The all punch is a trick for the cable ends I have used when needed since the '80's...still works great to clean up a ragged cut.

-Miller
Oh my channellock ****s are nice and sharp, sharp enough to cut string actually so they'll work just fine.
And I've got a few good scratch awls I could use to clean up the end.
In general I try not to do cheap imported tools.