Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for a bike for the GAP and C&O Canal Trail

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 07:59 AM
miller.brandon5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm somewhat new to cycling, but my buddies and I are going to to the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal Trail this summer, and I'm trying to decide which bike to buy for training and the trip. I'm looking at hybrids, but I'm trying to stay away from the ones geared more towards being road bikes.

I was thinking the Trek DS2, but I've seen some reviews that say that I could get a similar but better bike at that price point, but I'm not sure where to start. The trail is mostly crushed limestone, and then the back half if a bit rougher so I know I need something tough. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-09-18, 10:02 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I'm taking me Specialized Cross trail on the C&O in the Spring and am confident it'll be a fine ride.

Guy I'm going with did it last year on a hybrid with basically street tires. He said that was rough in the muddy spots, but fine for the crushed gravel. But doable the whole way.

Tires are going to be a bigger deal than frame durability. My buddy's bike he rode is a certified old piece of junk. It survived. His wife was riding my old 26 inch wheel Raleigh mountain bike I lent them. That's a rather heavy no frills bike that did fine too.

You're not going to rattle the weld joints loose on the C&O but you might want a tire that has a deeper tread pattern for the muckier parts.
Old 02-09-18, 02:26 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I agree with the above. You want something with tire volume in my opinion. Here are a few photos of my '97 Trek 750 and my daughter's '95 Motiv Stonegrinder on the C&O near Harper's Ferry.

IMG_20170826_134645383 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

IMG_20170826_142825182 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

This is pretty typical of the C&O, which is generally a little rougher than the GAP trail (of which much is paved, if you're doing the whole thing). Most of the C&O is pretty gravelly, and much of it is 1/2" or so in size. It's about like a well-traveled macadam road.

My 750 has plush 700x42 tires Continental Speed Rides and my daughter's Motiv has 26x1.75" Michelin Country Rocks. Both of these tires are excellent for this type of mixed use riding (paved & gravel). They have enough volume so that you can keep them aired down for comfort, and their tread patterns work for just about anything but super loose stuff or mud. I would want something that will take the "buzz" out of the trip, and larger volume tires are the best tool for that in my experience. A suspension fork is nice for larger bumps and impacts, but you're going to find that you still will get the "buzz" of the gravel through it. And the Trek DS uses only 38mm tires (which are actually more like 35mm probably) -- not ideal for this kind of riding in my humble opinion. Sure, you can ride just about any bike on just about any surface. But if you have a choice, try to choose the right tool for the job.

For this type of riding, I like a used chrome-moly steel hybrid. I have the Trek MultiTrack pictured above, but there are thousands of similar choices out there (Specialized Crossroads is another one that's easy to find). Schwinn made nice hybrids back in the day, as did Bianchi, etc. Lots of choice in this realm, and I think it's a great choice for doing the stuff you're looking to do.

Specific pros:
  • If you buy a good one (meaning well maintained; not a basket case that needs a total overhaul), you can save a ton of money over a new bike. That'll be useful for things like mirrors and saddles and racks and bags and whatever else you want to carry on your trip. (Hint: a mirror is very useful!)
  • Older hybrids like these usually have generous tire clearance. You can often fit 700x45mm tires, or even 700x50 (sometimes marketed as 29x2"). If you don't want tires quite that large, you can still fit something like a 700x40/42 with clearance for fenders. Fenders are nice, especially if your ride will be in weather conditions. The C&O isn't usually "muddy", but it would certainly get messy during a rain storm.
  • High quality steel bikes like these are usually pretty "flexible", meaning they have a nice ride quality. I never really believed that until I got one myself. Ride comfort on my 750 is about the same as my 2015 Trek Verve, an alloy-framed bike with a suspension fork not all that unlike the DS you're considering. The 750's frame is double-butted steel (thinner near the middle of the tubes, where it can be, to save weight), and the bike is light -- it's about 4 pounds lighter than my Verve.

Specific cons:
  • Used bikes may need initial repair or refurbishment, and I don't know if that's a concern to you or not.
  • You won't have the later generation of components on a used bike. They may have trigger shifters or twist shifters, you will certainly not have disc brakes, and most will be 3x7 speed. I elected to replace the twist shifters on my 750 for triggers that I already had on hand, and the number of ratios is certainly not a problem for me, and shouldn't be a problem for you on the GAP/C&O (unless you're into comparing spec sheets with your buds!).

If you're really into new, I would suggest a Trek Verve or a Specialized Crossroads or Specialized Roll. These bikes each have pretty large tires (45mm or larger) that will absorb the gravel buzz well. That will be of great benefit on day-long rides.
Old 02-09-18, 09:33 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Hybrids like the DS and Crosstrail, among many others do very well on the C&O and GAP. But the C&O does become a mess during a rain storm, check out my sons and my bike after a muddy ride on the C&O:

But otherwise, it's a great trip:

Old 02-09-18, 09:50 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a great ride! I need a set of wheels with larger tires now.
Old 02-09-18, 09:51 PM
travbikeman

Oh, the Trek DS2 is a $600 bike listed on Trek's site. Might be less at some shops.

But, check these out for similar prices as well, if you have a Performance Bikes near you:

This is a really nice bike that is a good upgrade from the DS2 for only $50 more:

Marin San Rafael DS4 Dual Sport Bike - 2017 - Performance Bike

If you don't mind a bit older bike and you don't need over a medium size, this is a great deal:

GT Transeo 2.0 Sport Hybrid Bike - 2016 - Performance Bike

Nice Fuji here as well:

Fuji Traverse 1.5 Disc Sport Hybrid Bike -- 2018 - Performance Bike

I swear I don't work for Performance Bikes. But also shop the Bike Shop. You find one that treats you well, it's worth spending a bit more on the bike then. The shop I bought my bike from, gives great service, lifetime adjustments and are always welcoming when I visit. (Germantown Cycles). I don't even need to tell them my name anymore, think they even recognize my voice on the phone.
Old 02-10-18, 06:55 AM
pjthomas

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miller.brandon5
I'm somewhat new to cycling, but my buddies and I are going to to the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal Trail this summer, and I'm trying to decide which bike to buy for training and the trip. I'm looking at hybrids, but I'm trying to stay away from the ones geared more towards being road bikes.
What will your buddies be riding? MTB, full suspension, hard tail, rigid? Gravel/adventure? If they are riding full suspension MTBs they will have trouble keeping up with a DS. Opposite is true if they are riding gravel.

I mostly ride an unoaved rails to trails and I'd opt for an FX, without a suspension, for a ride like that.
Old 02-10-18, 12:01 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
You might consider the Giant ARX 2. My wife has a 2017 Liv Bliss Lite, which is essentially the female version of the ARX. She's been very happy with it. It's more suited for trails than for roads, which is what it sounds like you're looking for. The mountain bike tires provide a nice comfy ride without the need for a front suspension, and that makes the bike noticeably lighter than my Kona mountain bike that has a suspension fork.

Last edited by AU Tiger; 02-10-18 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 04:46 PM
hokiefyd 

Also check out something like the Raleigh Redux -- I think these are somewhat similar to the aforementioned Giant ARX. It's a bike with "650b" tires with a rigid fork. The Redux 2 comes with 47mm WTB gravel tires -- super comfy for C&O and similar rides.

https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-110611

Edit: the Giant ARX has a triple chainring and Tektro hydraulic brakes, and the Raleigh is a 1x with Promax hydraulic brakes. I personally like that Giant better -- great value!

Last edited by hokiefyd; 02-10-18 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-11-18, 11:34 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
I'm looking at hybrids, but I'm trying to stay away from the ones geared more towards being road bikes.
I rode the GAP two years ago and both GAP and C&O last fall. I rode an old Hardrock both times, but for the second ride I swapped the suspension fork for the rigid fork. I did not like the way loaded bike handled with a suspension fork. For me a rigid fork was much better.
As for the gearing, you do not need a wide range. Double crankset will be totally fine. The only place where you may need a low gear is the climb from Cumberland to the Continental Divide, if you are ridind from DC towards Pittsburgh.

Originally Posted by pjthomas
I mostly ride an unpaved rails to trails and I'd opt for an FX, without a suspension, for a ride like that.
Totally agree, no need for a suspension on these trails. Put wide tires.

90's MTB with a rigid fork or 90's hybrid (as hokiefyd suggests) are good choices. Jamis Coda is a new steel hybrid, IMO worth looking at.

Touring or gravel bikes will do great, but they are more expensive.

All these are our personal opinions
Old 02-11-18, 07:17 PM
miller.brandon5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, you guys are incredible. Still not sure what I'm going to get, but you've given me a ton on great options. My one buddy is going to be on a road bike, and the other one hasn't decided yet.
Old 02-11-18, 07:32 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
Looking at the pictures in this post prove that you picked a great place to ride - it's beautiful!
Old 02-11-18, 07:41 PM
hokiefyd 

My one buddy is going to be on a road bike, and the other one hasn't decided yet.
Truly, any bike will work. After all, all bicycling was done "off road" in the dawn of bicycles and it certainly wasn't as comfortable as even the most aggressive road bike would be today! We're pretty lucky to have all sorts of options available to us from the decision on new vs. used, to the type of bike (hybrid, road, gravel, mountain, etc) to the size and type of wheels and tires, to the choice of gearing, etc.

The most important decision is the first one -- deciding to get out there and RIDE! I look forward to doing more of the C&O myself this spring.
Old 02-11-18, 11:12 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I rode the C&O/GAP a few years ago. Whether you use a mountain bike, hybrid or touring bike, you'll need a MINIMUM of 32 mm tires(my opinion) and I recommend fenders. The C&O can get quite muddy and fenders will keep you and your bike/paniers or bags clean. Be sure that you have adequate clearance between the tires and fender. I didn't and had to stop frequently to remove the wheels to clear out accumulated mud.

Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by MAK; 02-17-18 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-12-18, 06:46 AM
hokiefyd 

OP, you may have already seen these resources, but in case you haven't:

Bikewashington.org's page on Tires and Conditions: Link

Other Bikeforums.net thread on the same topic: Link

A nice "read-it" page on choosing a bike type: Link
Old 02-12-18, 03:24 PM
travbikeman

Hokiefyd's article with Bikewashington.org is really good. I like the part where it explains you shouldn't maneuver at all in mud holes. Don't brake, don't try to turn or to peddle too hard or you will slide all over in the mud.

I typically down shift to a higher gear when hitting a mud pit to prevent spinning out too much.
Old 02-17-18, 06:37 PM
travbikeman

I just watched this video on YouTube. Great video of this guy riding from Georgetown to Sheperdstown and back. It really shows well just how muddy and wet this trail can get. Especially on his day 2 of the journey. Check out the nice red trailer at beginning of video and what color it is at end of video. If you don't miss it, make sure to go Barrons ice cream. They are super friendly and have great ice cream!

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-17-18 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 02:40 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Excellent video and what a beautiful ride! I'll have to put it on my bucket list.
Old 02-21-18, 02:55 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

I was thinking the Trek DS2, but I've seen some reviews that say that I could get a similar but better bike at that price point, but I'm not sure where to start. The trail is mostly crushed limestone, and then the back half if a bit rougher so I know I need something tough. Any help is appreciated.

Jealous of the ride. I rode part of the C&O on a rental hybrid when I was in DC on business. It was a no frills Fuji rigid fork, with stock road tires, probably 35's. The path was muddy in spots that day, it did just fine. I'd find something that feels good to you that makes you want to ride. Not sure how much luggage you intend to bring along, if you're going rear rack/panniers only, a hybrid with front suspension will be fine. Old Man Mountain and others make front racks for suspension forks, but it is easier to find those for rigid, and the C&O, nor most gravel roads really require suspension forks. I ride a lot of gravel on hybrids, and dedicated gravel bikes. Really good tires make a world of difference, especially when they are run a little softer. I'm using Compass Bon Jon's 700x35 both extra light and standard casings on a few bikes, super plush on road and gravel, no flats.

We have both Cannondale and Trek hybrids in the stable, like them equally well, we tend to go with the store rather than the brand, but if you're in love with a particular color/model, that's definitely the way to go.
Old 02-22-18, 11:37 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Only 50 miles away. Just to far at the moment. I wouldn't have the time to ride it the way I want to. The GAP is the more remote part.
NCR is only 2 miles away.
Old 02-23-18, 09:36 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by StarBiker
Only 50 miles away. Just to far at the moment. I wouldn't have the time to ride it the way I want to. The GAP is the more remote part.
The NCR looks like a great rail trail!
Old 02-23-18, 09:40 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If I was going to do stuff like the C&O, I would use my Crosstrail, with more aggressive tread, and fenders, foregoing my road oriented tires for the trip. Might even consider something like OEM tires. MHO
Old 02-23-18, 09:56 AM
hokiefyd 

Last time I was there, I had my 750 (rigid fork) with 42mm tires. Next time I go, I'll take my Verve (suspension fork) with 35mm tires to see if there's a significant difference.
Old 02-23-18, 10:26 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by StarBiker
That is a great trail. Especially when your going down hill from New Freedom!
Old 02-23-18, 03:25 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
That is a great trail. Especially when your going down hill from New Freedom!
It takes me about 2:15 to get from the start of the trail to the PA line.

It takes me about 1:45 to get back.

That's a fun transition too. You're working the bike and the gears and pushing hard to keep moving to get to the state line and you're feeling great and getting a wonderful workout....and going 5 mph

Then you turn around and it's like...

..and the next thing you know you're helping your parents meet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.