Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-18, 08:09 PM   #126
jack pot
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
Of course I do, but the point isn't people who are thoughtful and concerned. The point is that some people might figure out where someone is and stalk them for some insane reason. For me, disagreements are just verbal but some people take it further, in case you haven't noticed from reading the news everyday.
>>> it is not unnatural to fear that you will be stalked by someone because of something you posted to a CAR FREE thread on a bicycle forum ... i am sure many many many car frees choose to avoid LCF rather than chance the danger
jack pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 07:07 AM   #127
tandempower

Bikes:
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 6012 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
>>> it is not unnatural to fear that you will be stalked by someone because of something you posted to a CAR FREE thread on a bicycle forum ... i am sure many many many car frees choose to avoid LCF rather than chance the danger
You never know. Better safe than sorry.
tandempower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 05:38 PM   #128
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Quote:
Of course I do, but the point isn't people who are thoughtful and concerned. The point is that some people might figure out where someone is and stalk them for some insane reason. For me, disagreements are just verbal but some people take it further, in case you haven't noticed from reading the news everyday.
Since you're concerned about stalkers looking you up it might be a good idea to not talk about where you live. Me, I have no such concern and so I didn't realize I shouldn't repeat it, particularly since the info came from you personally.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 08:04 AM   #129
jack pot
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Anthropophobia

Quote:
You never know. Better safe than sorry.
>>> i assume you make a point of avoiding public places ... i have a friend who dealt with this thru RECLUCIVEISM ... he feels safe when he is alone in his cabin ... he has a large $$$ trust fund ... he has no electricity ... he thinks the internet is a large trap ... he is a highly rated postal chesser > 2000+ ... his car is an orig stump jumper! ... your posts suggest a lifestyle change may help ... i suggest you start reading dostoyevsky novels and from there you may find some daylight > peace be with you
jack pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 08:23 AM   #130
Jim from Boston

Bikes:
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
Since you're concerned about stalkers looking you up it might be a good idea to not talk about where you live. Me, I have no such concern and so I didn't realize I shouldn't repeat it, particularly since the info came from you personally.
Though this thread has strayed from the original title of "6 months in Detroit without a car," I did contribute a couple of posts intimately familiar with the city, but I don’t live there, and I don’t list my location in my profile.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-21-18 at 08:56 AM.
Jim from Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 08:38 AM   #131
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 3281 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim from boston View Post
i don’t list my location in my profile.
l ..... O .... L.
Maelochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 08:40 AM   #132
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 3281 Post(s)
My freaking computer won't let me type LoL .... whatever.
Maelochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 09:12 AM   #133
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maelochs View Post
my freaking computer won't let me type lol .... Whatever.
lol

Bikeforums sometimes doesn't like you to shout LOL.
cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 01:50 PM   #134
tandempower

Bikes:
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 6012 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
>>> i assume you make a point of avoiding public places ... i have a friend who dealt with this thru RECLUCIVEISM ... he feels safe when he is alone in his cabin ... he has a large $$$ trust fund ... he has no electricity ... he thinks the internet is a large trap ... he is a highly rated postal chesser > 2000+ ... his car is an orig stump jumper! ... your posts suggest a lifestyle change may help ... i suggest you start reading dostoyevsky novels and from there you may find some daylight > peace be with you
Thanks but no thanks for the condescension.
tandempower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 03:10 PM   #135
Foldy313

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Thanks for the sound advice. A bike is actually a pretty safe way to go, compared to walking or even driving a car.

I grew up in Detroit, Highland Park actually. I was carfree much of the time. My first real job was right downtown on Adams St. I got out after midnight, then took the Woodward bus home to H.P. There were a couple times I was a little scared, but I handled myself well and nothing happened.

The bike situation in Detroit generally sounds pretty good, with the Slow Rides and all. I think about moving back there when I retire in a few years.
You should come back. Detroit has come such a long way in the five years I've been here and is getting better all the time. The Slow Roll is crazy. Thousands of people. The first half of the ride is kind of a bummer because riders are so bunched up, but after that it is clear sailing. It's also great that the police block some streets and facilitate the ride.
Foldy313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 01:06 AM   #136
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Bikes:
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldy313 View Post
You should come back. Detroit has come such a long way in the five years I've been here and is getting better all the time. The Slow Roll is crazy. Thousands of people. The first half of the ride is kind of a bummer because riders are so bunched up, but after that it is clear sailing. It's also great that the police block some streets and facilitate the ride.
Thanks for the nice posts. Detroit is a great city and I do hope I can move back some day!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 06:29 AM   #137
Jim from Boston

Bikes:
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldy313 View Post
You should come back. Detroit has come such a long way in the five years I've been here and is getting better all the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
Thanks for the nice posts. Detroit is a great city and I do hope I can move back some day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Though this thread has strayed from the original title of "6 months in Detroit without a car," I did contribute a couple of posts intimately familiar with the city, but I don’t live there,and I don’t list my location in my profile.
Hi Roody and other interested parties (brave souls ),

FYA, see my preceding post on this thread,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
... There was this recent thread on the Great Lakes Regional Discussion Forum, "Riding through Detroit", with some sage replies...

I have not quoted the many specific routes and sights touted on the at thread, or more which I know personally (link).

Jim from Boston is offline   Reply With Quote