Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Show us your Rail Trails, Hiking Trails, Cycling Paths, etc.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Show us your Rail Trails, Hiking Trails, Cycling Paths, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 11:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: Banks-Vernonia State Trail
Old 09-22-15, 09:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
As a cross-reference, someone in the Touring Forum is looking for and/or putting together a list of bicycle trails ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...s-camping.html
Old 09-23-15, 05:51 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Then there's the Velodyssey Route ...
Velodyssey, the Atlantic cycling route ? The Velodyssey

I was reminded of this route yesterday when I realised that 3 years ago, Rowan and I were cycling it. Now that is an area we'd love to return to ... even move to!

We took a train into Bordeaux and spent a couple days there. Then cycled on a paved cycling path out to Lacanau-Ocean. In fact, a person could ride a century from the train station in Bordeaux out to Lacanau-Ocean and back mostly on paved bicycle paths.

Then we slowly cycled northward to La Rochelle. All up we were probably 2 weeks in the area. We were only supposed to spend a few days, but an Atlantic storm and no desire to leave kept us there longer.

One day I'd like to ride the whole route from Plymouth to the border of Spain ... plus maybe also starting with the John O'Groats to Lands End route.
Old 09-23-15, 07:24 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I have to brag a bit. Michigan has more miles of rail-trails than any other state. In fact, I think, we have more than any TWO other states. (The information is easy to find with a web search.) Additionally, we have hundreds of miles of beautiful snowmobile trails that are used by mountain bikers in the summer time. We also have one of the few jurisdictions in the world that is totally carfree by law, and always has been. That would be Mackinac Island, of course.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-10-15, 04:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
Victoria ... where we used to live ... has a decent collection of rail trails. A person can get get onto one and cycle to the next town or further without encountering a motor vehicle along the way. Except maybe at an intersection. We used to live on the longest rail trail in Victoria ... the Great Victorian Rail Trail (134 km), and would use a small part of it in the evenings for a short ride, or a longer part on the weekends. We visited the area over Easter and rode parts of the trail two of the days we were there.
This is the website for the Great Victorian Rail Trail ...

Great Victorian Rail - Australia's Longest Rail Trail
Old 01-13-16, 05:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

So this got me to thinking ... what sort of trails do you have in your area?

[HR][/HR]
This website shows the rail trails in Victoria, and if you click the links on the left sidebar, you'll see the rail trails in other States as well:

Victoria: https://www.railtrails.org.au/trail-...tions/victoria
We're sort of toying with the idea of getting into this area for a little cycling holiday soon ...

https://www.railtrails.org.au/trail-...w=trail&id=160

Last time we tried a trail in that area, it was in pretty rough shape, but it may have been improved since then. In fact, looking at the photos, it does look like there have been some significant improvements.
Old 01-17-16, 05:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Down here in Tasmania, there aren't quite as many as Victoria, or as long, but we ride the Hobart Intercity Cycleway (15.6km) quite regularly: https://www.railtrails.org.au/trail-...tions/tasmania
The Cycleway ... taken during a long ride last weekend ...

And a shot of the beginning of the Cycleway ... taken last autumn ...

Old 04-17-16, 05:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We're sort of toying with the idea of getting into this area for a little cycling holiday soon ...

https://www.railtrails.org.au/trail-...w=trail&id=160

Last time we tried a trail in that area, it was in pretty rough shape, but it may have been improved since then. In fact, looking at the photos, it does look like there have been some significant improvements.
We did go on that little cycling holiday in early February ... and we did check out that rail trail.

It has improved quite a bit, but we did get onto a section in the middle that left us a little frustrated and so we hit the road for a bit. Hopefully they'll keep making improvements.

Old 07-04-16, 07:44 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
The new US 36 Bikeway in CO.
From 88th in Westminster to Table Mesa in Boulder, w/o encountering a motor vehicle.
And it is even shown on Google Maps!

Old 09-08-16, 07:28 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bump ... to see if there are other trails in your area or other areas which you've had the opportunity to check out recently.
Old 09-12-16, 07:44 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Our state is very good on R2T. Probably the best kept secret of this area is the abundance of paved trails.

Old 09-12-16, 08:24 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Here's the City of Toronto Cycling map. Anything purple is an off-road MUP that may also have dogs and children to dodge. The segment in the bottom centre is the Martin Goodman Trail through the downtown Harbourfront area and it is a protected bike only path beside the street so in theory no runners or dogs, but that area is extremely congested with multiple intersections and oblivious pedestrians in the wrong lane; however the other paths are fine for moderate speed cruising. I've ridden pretty well all of them except in the upper right of the map, the spur north into Rouge Valley Park and the ones in Agincourt.

Cycling Map - Cycling Network - Cycling | City of Toronto

In terms of "Living Car Free" some of these off-road paths might be useful for other people commuting, but none of them work for me. I do use some of the on-street facilities (blue and red lines) but only because they happen to be more or less on my way to work anyway.

Last edited by cooker; 09-12-16 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-12-16, 10:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Bump ... to see if there are other trails in your area or other areas which you've had the opportunity to check out recently.
I hiked the Marten Creek trail Saturday. What a waste of a bluebird day. It was a dumpster dive, a moll stroll, the view was the trees. In fact, the highlight of the trail was a bunch of trees that were planted in 1915, which looked just like all the other trees. What the place needed was a match. I should have gone to Forgotten Meadows instead.
Old 09-12-16, 11:42 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Roody
I have to brag a bit. Michigan has more miles of rail-trails than any other state. In fact, I think, we have more than any TWO other states. (The information is easy to find with a web search.) Additionally, we have hundreds of miles of beautiful snowmobile trails that are used by mountain bikers in the summer time. We also have one of the few jurisdictions in the world that is totally carfree by law, and always has been. That would be Mackinac Island, of course.
I assume the cyclists can't use the entire snowmobile trail network as probably some of it goes across streams or boggy areas that are frozen in winter.

In southeastern Manitoba in the 1870s they muscled a trail through from Lake of the Woods to Winnipeg called the Dawson Trail, to help settlers moving west avoid going through the USA, and in case they need to move troops west to quell the Indians and Metis, but they had to lay tons of corduroy on top of miles of bog land, so it was very high maintenance and only used for maybe 10 years. By 1885 it was pretty much abandoned as the railway was completed. So nowadays you can use parts of that old Dawson Trail for snowmobiling but it's too mushy for summer use. Here and there some parts of it were eventually redone as gravel roads.

Last edited by cooker; 09-12-16 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-12-16, 12:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
FYI,

There are 765 Wilderness areas covering 109,129,657 acres in 44 states and Puerto Rico. These areas are all car free by law. They're free of all mechanized transportation. (Helicopters are allowed in narrow and specific circumstances like rescue and fire fighting.)
Old 10-17-16, 08:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I've been browsing around to see what other trails might exist in Tasmania, and especially in my area. There isn't much but there is one I'm kind of interested in trying when our mtn bikes are operational again.
Old 04-26-17, 10:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

It's been a little while ... let's see some of your favourite rail trails etc.
Old 08-07-17, 08:03 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Surely some of you have bicycle trails/paths/etc.
Old 08-08-17, 08:13 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Surely some of you have bicycle trails/paths/etc.
Probably do, but don't care to discuss it on an LCF list. Not like dissertations or digressions on tree growth, mastodons, ice age living conditions, cars on Mars, or conjuring and mind reading analyses of everyone else's "culture" who doesn't share a poster's unique ideology or dreamworld.
Old 08-08-17, 11:10 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Probably do, but don't care to discuss it on an LCF list. Not like dissertations or digressions on tree growth, mastodons, ice age living conditions, cars on Mars, or conjuring and mind reading analyses of everyone else's "culture" who doesn't share a poster's unique ideology or dreamworld.
LOL. As usual your post has nothing to do with reality. A whole bunch of people have posted their trails and the only one in the thread who doesn't care to do so is you. No trails in Iowa?
Old 08-08-17, 07:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
LOL. As usual your post has nothing to do with reality. A whole bunch of people have posted their trails and the only one in the thread who doesn't care to do so is you. No trails in Iowa?
Reality - a whole bunch of people posting? Nobody in the last year, that is why Machka for her own reason is trying once more to stir up some interest (any interest) in this type thread, without much success. My post provided a reason for lack of response, your post is just your usual smarm.

FWIW, Note the reality that you and the OP have posted 24 of the 45 total posts on this thread.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-08-17 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-08-17, 09:26 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Note the reality that you and the OP have posted 24 of the 45 total posts on this thread.
Yeah, 5 whole posts prior to this exchange. And here I thought I would have been way too busy posting "dissertations or digressions on tree growth, mastodons, ice age living conditions, cars on Mars, or conjuring and mind reading analyses [that was supposed to include me, right?] of everyone else's "culture" who doesn't share a poster's unique ideology or dreamworld" to have found the time to do all that. Since you haven't posted anything on topic (in pretty well every thread in the forum) perhaps you're the one too busy digressing and mindreading to actually contribute thread content.

Still no trails in Iowa?
Old 08-08-17, 09:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Less talk ... more photos and links.

Unless the talk is a description of your trails.
Old 08-08-17, 10:15 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Less talk ... more photos and links.

Unless the talk is a description of your trails.
Apparently I've already contributed more than my share.
Old 08-08-17, 10:20 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cooker
Apparently I've already contributed more than my share.
Got more?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.