Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 03:41 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I predict Amazon flying delivery drones will be in limited use in select rural test areas.
Better than drones, in my view:

In Germany, elderly bike messengers will deliver your local veggies | Grist
Old 05-06-15, 04:46 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
Hype is free. Money, energy, and rare metals to build, maintain, and run gadgets are harder to get. China, Russia, and India could have some gadgets for a while. The USA blew its fortune on cars.
Old 05-06-15, 06:57 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I think it would be interesting to record some of our prognostications and speculations here, and revisit the thread from time to time to see how accurately we are foreseeing "the shape of things to come".
Originally Posted by mijome07
In 5 years, I predict this thread will be long-forgotten.
Cooker - just set yourself a reminder in Outlook or Google calendar or whatever to check this thread once a year. There was another zombie thread where one BF member did that for a number of years running. Though I think this thread would be much more interesting to revisit!
Old 05-06-15, 08:39 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
Cooker - just set yourself a reminder in Outlook or Google calendar or whatever to check this thread once a year. There was another zombie thread where one BF member did that for a number of years running. Though I think this thread would be much more interesting to revisit!
Thanks, I actually have a (bad?) habit of revisiting my old posts from time to time.
Old 05-06-15, 11:47 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
I predict that only a tiny fraction of car drivers will begin to use bicycles for transportation. If there is a fuel crisis or some other reason for fuel to become more scarce, such as extremely high prices, the percentage change might be a little higher. The citizens here would rather go to war to get cheaper fuel than to begin riding bicycles.

More people will be fatter than now.

The federal government will do more to appease the car drivers in some way if there is a fuel availability problem.

Electric cars will be a higher percentage of vehicles on the road. Once Tesla and others add more inexpensive electric vehicles the field will expand and there will still be more cars on the road than today.

Auto insurance for aluminum vehicles will be sky high and shift people away from wanting to buy them. It is more costly to repair an aluminum vehicle than a steel one. The Ford F 150 will in time lose sales because of this fact.
That's pretty much how I see it. I'll add that the national rate of bicycle commuting will be less than or equal to 0.8% (currently 0.6%). However, I expect there to be some notable growth in a few blue states while the red states don't budge because too many people in them have lost the battle of the bulge.

I also doubt if we'll have any functioning high-speed inter-city rail (Acela doesn't qualify), but it will be on the drawing board and the first trains might just be in production in ten years.

On a brighter note, I'll pass 600,000 miles in the saddle within the next five years whether or not anyone else chooses to join the fun. Who knows, I may finally even buy a new bike (but I doubt it).
Old 05-07-15, 04:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Thanks, I actually have a (bad?) habit of revisiting my old posts from time to time.
Here's one we revisited ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...says-what.html
Old 05-07-15, 04:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Locally, I predict minimal changes.
Even further afield than 'locally'.
Old 05-07-15, 04:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I predict Tesla will be broke, in receivership, or bought and shunted to a minor backseat role in some larger auto company.
Why?
Old 05-07-15, 07:52 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Why?
Tesla hasn't been doing well, especially when it comes to deliveries of electric cars. First quarter figures were just released this week. They are better than expected, so maybe Tesla will see an upturn now.
Originally Posted by investors.com
Electric-car maker Tesla Motors reported a smaller-than-expected loss late Wednesday and touted "crazy" demand for its new home, business and utility-scale battery products. Non-GAAP revenue rose to $1.10 billion, up 55% from the year-earlier quarter and beating the consensus estimate of 1.04 billion. GAAP revenue was $940 million.
Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) lost 36 cents a share excluding various items. The consensus was for a 50-cent loss.
Tesla stock rose 2.5% to 236.25 in late trading. Shares had closed down 1.1% at 230.43.

Tesla made 11,160 vehicles in Q1, 10% better than guidance, as it averaged more than 1,000 cars per production week. In Q2, it expects to produce about 12,500 vehicles, a 12% sequential increase.
"We plan to deliver 10,000 to 11,000 vehicles in Q2, and we are still on track to deliver approximately 55,000 Model S and X cars in 2015," Tesla said in the earnings announcement signed by CEO Elon Musk.
Tesla said on April 3 that it delivered 10,030 vehicles in Q1.
Model S Prices Rising
The average Model S selling price increased slightly in Q1. Tesla said that it will raise prices in Europe by about 5% to offset the stronger dollar. The rise will apply to deliveries in Q3.
Tesla expects to launch and quickly ramp production of its Model X crossover SUV for deliveries in late Q3.
Tesla reported a surprise Q4 loss on Feb. 11 that sent the stock tumbling from 212.80 to a low of 181.40 on March 30. Since then, Tesla has moved up about 27%, just prior to its Q1 earnings report. But the stock is up just 3% this year.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: Tesla Stock Rises On Smaller Q1 Loss, Output Outlook TSLA - Investors.com

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-07-15, 07:54 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
That's pretty much how I see it. I'll add that the national rate of bicycle commuting will be less than or equal to 0.8% (currently 0.6%).
How does that compare with commuting by electric car? Do more people commute by electric car or by bicycle?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-07-15, 08:52 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Ekdog
Why are you so pessimistic about Tesla?
Well, for one thing:
Originally Posted by Zedoo
Hype is free.

Why?
It's a guess, but I have a few reasons.

It's partly a one-man operation that is heavily dependent on Musk's vision, salesmanship and determination, so if he gets sick or dies or is arrested or whatever, it may grind to a halt.

The big car companies still have a lot of clout (look at how they are blocking his direct to customer sales) and will either undermine his efforts indirectly, or woo him with a rich personal buyout and then betray him by phasing out his operations in favour of whatever makes them the most money.

Also, I have seen other "visionary" car makers like Bricklin, DeLorean, and (before my time) Tucker, fall victim to their own overreach or the sabotaging effect of other interests, and I think Tesla is also vulnerable.

Originally Posted by Roody
First quarter figures were just released this week. They are better than expected, so maybe Tesla will see an upturn now.
Or, I could be wrong!

Last edited by cooker; 05-07-15 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-07-15, 09:04 AM
delcrossv

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I live near to some of the swankier suburbs in the country and am seeing more and more Teslas. I expect them to be around for quite a while. While I don't expect much change in a national transportation scene in the next 5 years, in that time frame I expect my personal transportation scene to change pretty radically as I'm saving the shekels for one of these:

Last edited by delcrossv; 08-10-15 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 09:04 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by gerv
That got me thinking to where I might be in 5 years viz-a-viz living carfree.

* My entire family has turned largely to public transportation and cycling. We still have a car which we can't sell.
* I still work, but my annual hours work out to about 25 hours a week.
* I have improved my garden to the point that it provides about 50% of the vegetables I eat.
* I have replaced my gas furnace with a geothermal outfit.

What does your crystal ball say?
Wow, it's too bad one of you didn't predict someone else would start a similar thread in 2015 - that would have been something!

Last edited by cooker; 05-07-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-07-15, 09:21 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Wow, it's too bad one of you didn't predict someone else would start a similar thread in 2015 - that would have been something!
I'm going out on a limb to predict that there will be a similar thread...in 2016. And Machka will revive this thread in 2016...and 2017...and 2018...and....

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-07-15, 09:30 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

It's partly a one-man operation that is heavily dependent on Musk's vision, salesmanship and determination, so if he gets sick or dies or is arrested or whatever, it may grind to a halt.

Or, I could be wrong!
Yes, I think Wall St.has a crush on Elon Musk, and Silicon Valley even more so. They really want to believe the hype!(On the other hand, Apple has done pretty well since the death of Steve Jobs.)

But still, it's a major struggle for Musk to deliver even 55,000 cars to the market. That is very penny-ante. Henry Ford and Ransom Olds were doing much better at a similar stage in the development of gasoline cars, just over 100 years ago

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-07-15, 06:19 PM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
We routinely have threads bumped up that are much older than five years. Actually, it's one of my pet peeves.
I've noticed as well. This is actually a good thread.

I predict more and more people will be stuck on their phones and miss out on all the fun being out riding.

I'm proud to say I never owned a smartphone and I never will. No FB, Twitter or any of that stuff.
Old 05-07-15, 06:43 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
The more there are, the wider our portion of the road should be. Hopefully we'll crowd the cars into one lane or off some roads altogether.
Generally I lament 4+lane roads and prefer two-lane roads w/ bike lanes shaded by trees on the sides and median. Now that a local 4-lane road is getting repaved by filtering traffic down to one lane in each direction on half the road at a time, it gave me an idea about the future: i.e. at some point, 4-lane roads could be converted into 1) one two-lane road for traditional cars, trucks, buses, etc. and 2) another two-lane road for bikes, small electric vehicles, etc.

I think we will soon see a proliferation of covered narrow-track vehicles. Motorcycle markets currently suffer from the lack of enclosure. Once enclosed narrow-track vehicles are available, they will grow popular. Once those are popular, it will be a shorter leap to electric bikes/trikes for many. Average vehicle size will get smaller because autonomous control of one's travel schedule beats adhering to a transit schedule and transit is gaining popularity, so the evolution of transit use will include some people getting smaller vehicles to avoid both transit and driving/parking larger vehicles.

As for Tesla, idk if it will fail as a company but I would expect to see an expansion of the battery business it is establishing by making the car batteries available for household and other applications. I can see coal-industry areas as recovering lost jobs by getting into battery manufacturing. This will reduce some of the jobs of maintaining the grid, but it will add a lot more servicing solar-charing stations and battery maintenance, distribution, and recycling.
Old 05-07-15, 06:49 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Well, for one thing:

It's a guess, but I have a few reasons.

The big car companies still have a lot of clout (look at how they are blocking his direct to customer sales) and will either undermine his efforts indirectly, or woo him with a rich personal buyout and then betray him by phasing out his operations in favour of whatever makes them the most money.

Also, I have seen other "visionary" car makers like Bricklin, DeLorean, and (before my time) Tucker, fall victim to their own overreach or the sabotaging effect of other interests, and I think Tesla is also vulnerable.

Or, I could be wrong!
Banishment to an elite is the new economic burial. I don't think this will happen with electric cars in general, since I think it is really just the battery industry holding it back and that is currently changing. Tesla may be unsuccessful in popularizing an affordable model, though, and may end up in the ranks of amazing-quality products that the mass-producers refuse to allow to undermine the standards they set for sake of upselling customers through numerous price increments before reaching great quality.

Expect a barrage of electric cars with performance, comfort, and convenience at levels that protect the competitiveness of combustion vehicles. After all, do you really expect the automakers to allow their factories and other industrial institutions to become obsolete all at once?

Last edited by tandempower; 05-07-15 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 09:34 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
How does that compare with commuting by electric car? Do more people commute by electric car or by bicycle?
I don't know and I'm not sure anyone is collecting the data. When the Volt came out there was a waiting list to get one, IIRC. However, I believe that production is being ramped down due to unexpectedly reduced demand owing to the collapse of the price of gasoline.

Frankly, I don't see much difference between a coal-powered electric car and a gasoline-powered car. Sure, the coal-powered cars can be slightly less fuel inefficient, but not enough to write home about. They still take up way to much room, are operated dangerously and are big parts of the health crisis in America as well as big players in climate change. To me, it's kind of like the difference between gasoline-powered cars and diesel-powered cars; it's all at the edges.
Old 05-08-15, 06:00 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I don't know and I'm not sure anyone is collecting the data. When the Volt came out there was a waiting list to get one, IIRC. However, I believe that production is being ramped down due to unexpectedly reduced demand owing to the collapse of the price of gasoline.
Actually, I heard that we're in the midst of the fastest-ever increase in gas prices right now. Every time we go through one of these wild price cycles, it gets less hype on the news and in consumer consciousness.

I think gas prices is actually a good topic for five year predictions. It's one of the few short-term events that has a big impact on our society. I predict that gas prices on 5-8-2020 will be $5.05/gallon, or one-half of the minimum wage.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-08-15, 06:42 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
Sometime in the future I might eventually ride something with an engine or electric motor and two or three wheels.
Old 05-08-15, 07:29 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe, in 5 years, we'll finally get those hover boards we were supposed to get this year?
Old 05-08-15, 07:46 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by MikeRides
Maybe, in 5 years, we'll finally get those hover boards we were supposed to get this year?
Back to the Future!
Old 05-08-15, 08:48 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Zedoo
Sometime in the future I might eventually ride something with an engine or electric motor and two or three wheels.
That'll show You-Know-Who.
Old 05-31-15, 09:11 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...l#post17852728

Dave Cutter predicting that 20% of the cars produced this year will still be on the road in 2040. Hope he and I live to see it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.