Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 04:04 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I am not aware of any credit card company that requires the card holder to own a motor vehicle; are you?

Why would anyone need or offer a "special" credit card for non-car owners? And special mortgages for non car owners? What will make the mortgages "special"? Mortgages on what that is not already available to every non car owner?

Are you thinking of an affinity credit card that gets a pretty logo on the piece of plastic with no other benefit?
Yes, as Roody said in the linked post - it would be a gimmick. What would be "special' about it, is that finance companies may come to recognize car-free people as an under-exploited market, since they don't have car loans, so they would look for other ways to hook those people into taking on debt and making monthly payments.
Originally Posted by Roody
Not so much to incentivize the CF lifestyle, but just to capture the additional discretionary income that carfree people possess. This would be basically a "Gimmick Loan" to increase their own profits, not a public service to promote LCF.

Last edited by cooker; 11-27-15 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-27-15, 04:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
What would be "special' about it, is that finance companies may come to recognize car-free people as an under-exploited market, since they don't have car loans, so they would look for other ways to hook those people into taking on debt and making monthly payments.
What makes you think car free people are an under-exploited market for credit card companies? Ya think the people with allegedly $500-600 extra to spend only use cash/checks to purchase goods and services? Or do you think many/most/all car free people have to "hooked' by finance or credit card companies to desire products and services that are not paid for in cash?
Old 11-27-15, 05:01 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

What makes you think car free people are an under-exploited market for credit card companies? Ya think the people with allegedly $500-600 extra to spend only use cash/checks to purchase goods and services? Or do you think many/most/all car free people have to "hooked' by finance or credit card companies to desire products and services that are not paid for in cash?
I don't know for sure if car-free people have more or less overall debt than car owners, but I do assume on pretty solid grounds that they don't have car loans, which represent one of the largest debt pools. This is a speculative thread - time will tell how it pans out.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle24441790/
Old 11-27-15, 05:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I don't know for sure if car-free people have more or less overall debt than car owners,
I'm sure you don't know (and neither does anybody else on this list), and are only speculating about the overall financial wherewithal of car free folks, especially if considering all car free adult folks in U.S and Canada, not just selected slices of said population who post on Internet based hobbyist blogs.
Old 11-28-15, 12:00 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I'm sure you don't know (and neither does anybody else on this list), and are only speculating about the overall financial wherewithal of car free folks, especially if considering all car free adult folks in U.S and Canada, not just selected slices of said population who post on Internet based hobbyist blogs.
This thread isn't to debate that - it's to make predictions and see how they turn out.
Old 11-28-15, 08:15 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
LCF, 5 year prediction:

Like former straight edge punks, gripping syringes, joints, short straws, glass pipes, and pint glasses with hands featuring "X" tattoos on the back of them, many who proclaim "LCF 4 Life, Yo!" will own a car or have owned a car in the ensuing years. My prediction, 4 out of every 5 participating in LCF today...
Old 11-30-15, 01:23 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I think after looking at where people want to go with things the future will be with EVs. Right now I see E-bikes making some great inroads into transportation as seen in China and other Asian countries along with Europe. If they continue to work on the charge rate and distance of these e-bikes they could make tremendous gains even in a very resistant US consumer base. For cooler temperature states they could produce E-trikes with some light body work and almost replace the need for cars in the urban areas.

I know China and Japan are working feverishly on EVs, both plug in as in China and Fuel cell in Japan, but that will take a lot longer to develope. They have already sold 200,000,000 E-bikes in China and production numbers are climbing. If they develope E-trikes as well I could see giving up the car for one, maybe.
Old 12-01-15, 02:11 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I think after looking at where people want to go with things the future will be with EVs. Right now I see E-bikes making some great inroads into transportation as seen in China and other Asian countries along with Europe. If they continue to work on the charge rate and distance of these e-bikes they could make tremendous gains even in a very resistant US consumer base. For cooler temperature states they could produce E-trikes with some light body work and almost replace the need for cars in the urban areas.

I know China and Japan are working feverishly on EVs, both plug in as in China and Fuel cell in Japan, but that will take a lot longer to develope. They have already sold 200,000,000 E-bikes in China and production numbers are climbing. If they develope E-trikes as well I could see giving up the car for one, maybe.
A retired physician, his wife (retired nurse) and her brother opened a bike shop that features only e-bikes in my city this past summer. None of them had any experience with bicycles, but the brother is an electrician/electronics whiz. I'm suddenly seeing a fair number of e-bikes around. As I ride on the main joy-ride hill just south of the city limits, I have noticed quite a few somewhat large folks who take longer to catch up to than I would have expected. It's great to see them out there enjoying their new ride and riding places that were previously not possible for them to venture on two wheels.

That's a long-winded way of saying that I think there might be a very large market for e-bikes in the US and I welcome there arrival.
Old 12-01-15, 02:45 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
If they develope E-trikes as well I could see giving up the car for one, maybe.
I was also predicting a future for e-trikes earlier in the thread, but in a slightly different context than you - as a replacement for ordinary bikes as some of us bike commuters age, rather than replacing cars.
Old 12-01-15, 02:47 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
That's a long-winded way of saying that I think there might be a very large market for e-bikes in the US and I welcome there arrival.
E-bikes certainly are more practical that the publicly rejected Segway fiasco and I expect they will do a lot better in the market for people who are OK on two wheels and are not deterred by exposure to weather, but have little interest in bicycling with a conventional bicycle.
Old 12-01-15, 02:50 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
A retired physician, his wife (retired nurse) and her brother opened a bike shop that features only e-bikes in my city this past summer. None of them had any experience with bicycles, but the brother is an electrician/electronics whiz. I'm suddenly seeing a fair number of e-bikes around. As I ride on the main joy-ride hill just south of the city limits, I have noticed quite a few somewhat large folks who take longer to catch up to than I would have expected. It's great to see them out there enjoying their new ride and riding places that were previously not possible for them to venture on two wheels.

I think the idea covers some key concerns some have about freedom of movement and personal independence. The time to transverse a city would be less than mass transit and a person could still have their spontaneity. Like I said the Chinese are eating these things up and the know a think or two about moving people. There is some resistance in some states to E-bikes but consumers can overcome that if they want.
Old 12-11-15, 06:52 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

A couple of posts about whether driverless cabs or future Uber vehicles etc. will be designed with separate enclosed compartments so several unrelated passengers can ride in relative isolation.

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...l#post17786135
https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...l#post18383263

Last edited by cooker; 12-11-15 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-11-15, 06:58 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

E-bikes certainly are more practical that the publicly rejected Segway fiasco and I expect they will do a lot better in the market for people who are OK on two wheels and are not deterred by exposure to weather, but have little interest in bicycling with a conventional bicycle.
So then, are you agreeing with my prediction that we are going to see a lot more e-trikes over the next five years?
Old 12-11-15, 07:01 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Maybe you should add a prediction that more public transportation systems than just London will go to a bank card (and possible phone) payment system.

Although I suspect that it will be more than 5 years before that happens to any large extent.

Nevertheless, apparently they're thinking that could possibly start happening here in Australia in 2019. Who knows!
Old 12-11-15, 07:27 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Machka
Maybe you should add a prediction that more public transportation systems than just London will go to a bank card (and possible phone) payment system.
You have just added it. I actually think that is inevitable, so almost a no-brainer predicition. As the article I posted in your thread on transit payment methods indicated, cellphones in Canada can now have a special SIM card installed that also functions as a smart card for financial transactions. I suspect phone manufacturers or Telecom networks will soon make that standard issue.
Old 12-11-15, 07:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
You have just added it. I actually think that is inevitable, so almost a no-brainer predicition. As the article I posted in your thread on transit payment methods indicated, cellphones in Canada can now have a special SIM card installed that also functions as a smart card for financial transactions. I suspect phone manufacturers or Telecom networks will soon make that standard issue.
As someone who lives in Tokyo mentioned in the other thread, it is being used there.

How widespread it will be in a short time frame like 5 years will be the question.
Old 12-11-15, 08:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

So then, are you agreeing with my prediction that we are going to see a lot more e-trikes over the next five years?
I have no reason to think trikes, no matter how powered, will ever command any larger slice of any cycle market. They might maintain their current insignificant presence on North American streets.
Old 12-11-15, 11:40 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I have no reason to think trikes, no matter how powered, will ever command any larger slice of any cycle market.
Yes there is a reason, at least I think there is.

Old people.
Old 12-12-15, 01:14 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
It exists! I have already been seeing commercials for this. It will catch on very quickly, provided that it works as promised. Probably more of a five month prediction, not five years.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-12-15, 06:11 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I have no reason to think trikes, no matter how powered, will ever command any larger slice of any cycle market. They might maintain their current insignificant presence on North American streets.
I would have said the same thing about motorcycle trikes a few years ago but I see a lot of those on the road these days.
Old 12-13-15, 01:52 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A trike is a child's bike and too fat for being a reasonable trail presence.
Old 12-13-15, 01:53 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Did you ever ride one?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-13-15, 02:53 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
Did you ever ride one?
When I was 3-4 years old, yes. Then I got older and graduated to bicycles. Actually I still have a scar on my face from a tricycle accident where I cornered too hard and capsized.
Old 12-13-15, 03:48 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Walter S
What about ATVs?
Old 12-13-15, 04:34 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What about ATVs?
You must be kidding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.