Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Old 09-02-17, 04:36 PM
lpaulino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Roll Fenders

I just purchased fenders for my Specialized Roll Sport. These are the Specialized fenders for the Roll, but they included NO instructions. The hardware was included but no instructions. I could find nothing on Specialized website to download instructions.

Does anyone know if there are instructions available on line or a video? I've tried YouTube but no luck.

I'm sure it is not difficult to install, but thought I would try to find instructions before I started.

Thank you.
Old 09-07-17, 12:31 AM
Salty Pete

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is anyone else getting flats with the stock tires? I've gotten two in the past two months.
Old 10-18-17, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new here. lookn 4 anyone in vegas area that owns a roll. no dealerships in town have them. would like to know owners heights? to frame size. id hate ordering a bike site unseen and come to find out its too big or small. quill upgradable? adding disks later? standard size bb? thanks
Old 10-18-17, 11:14 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by 131368
new here. lookn 4 anyone in vegas area that owns a roll. no dealerships in town have them. would like to know owners heights? to frame size. id hate ordering a bike site unseen and come to find out its too big or small. quill upgradable? adding disks later? standard size bb? thanks
Welcome!

I can't help on frame sizing, but a quill stem can be changed to a threadless type with an adapter, or the headset can generally be changed to a threadless headset with a different fork/steerer tube. What exactly are you interested in doing related to "quill upgradable"?

Disc brakes can sometimes be added to existing frames with adapters, but the Roll is available with disc brakes and that's absolutely the way I would go if you want disc brakes now or think you might want them in the future.

Regarding the bottom bracket, all trims of the Roll list a square taper crankset, so the bottom bracket should be a pretty standard cartridge type for square taper cranks. Whether it's 68mm or 73mm, I don't know. A quick call to Specialized would probably answer that.
Old 10-18-17, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm asking about the quill because I read on either specialized or somewhere else that it has an intergrated headset or quill. So I'm not sure what that means. Also, if I do buy wrong size, how easy is it to find an aftermarket headset or quill that'd work. I'm interested in the base model because with my ability, time, location etc. I don't need a 3x or shocks. and the 96 rockhopper I have now, I've done a poor mans 1x conversion & liked it....so, base model doesn't have disks. By the pictures I've seen I don't believe the base has mounts for disks. Pretty frustrating. I love the looks of the roll. But giant seems to have the city locked down. Which I liked the cypress and Sedona. As well as a better experience with the giant dealers over the one specialized. But the roll is an oddball that I dug. $500 is a lot of money for me. Especially for a weekend fun Cruz around the block. So I want to spend it wisely.
Old 10-18-17, 06:52 PM
hokiefyd 

Yeah, I like the Roll, too -- it's a rather unconventional hybrid that appeals to me, and mostly for the reason (it's a little weird).

Hmm -- an "integrated" headset may or may not offer a pathway for upgrade. Integrated headsets mean the bearings just sit right in cups in the frame; they do not use separate cups. Whether or not you could convert that to a threadless system, I don't know. They certainly have integrated threadless headsets, but I think you'd need to find one sized exactly for your head tube cups (whatever size they are). I think maintenance is easier on these, but upgrading may be more difficult. I'd ask in the "Bicycle Mechanics" forum here on Bike Forums -- those guys will know more about that topic in general (potentially upgrading integrated headsets).

They'll likely ask what your purpose is -- what benefit are you seeking from changing out the quill stem?
Old 10-18-17, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I bought the right size I wouldn't worry about the quill or headset, but like I said I haven't seen one in person, so I'm not sure if I'd be a md or lg. I'm 511-512 150lbs 34 inseam. I tested a lg cypress which is supposed to be my size I think, but I felt I was just "on top" of the bike. I tested a md Sedona and I felt much more confident & nimble. I can't find many pics of people actually on their rolls, that mention their dimensions, Mostly just the bike itself. I've asked the southwest forum here, been looking at Craigslist & offer up for several months, nothing. Asked specialized dealer why they didn't stock them and they said they couldn't get rid of em. Weird. So back to the quill question, I could later get a different quill/headset/stem if I felt cramped or outstretched. I'm tempted to get a crappy amazon Raleigh circa and calling it a day. I could still put a couple hundred in that and still be cheaper than the roll....damn you roll for haunting my dreams like an enchanted mistress!
Old 10-19-17, 05:21 AM
hokiefyd 

The Roll comes with a BMX-style handlebar that could easily be swapped for a different style to suit fit or comfort. Of course, it being a quill stem allows you to make height adjustments without buying a different stem, so there probably is a range of adjustability that's baked-in to the design.

A Raleigh wouldn't be the worst bike in the world, either. Our daughter rides a 2015 Raleigh Alysa 1 and I've been rather impressed with the fit and finish on that bike. The frame in particular seems to be constructed very well. All weld beads are even and consistent, graphics on the bike are silk-screened or painted rather than stuck-on, and the luster of the paint and clear coat is quite good. Her's is the "1" (base model), so it has Revoshift shifters and Tourney derailleurs with a freewheel. Still, it rolls smooth, pedals smooth, and does everything a bike should do for a 12 year old kid.

I'd buy another Raleigh without hesitation. Consider something like a Redux 2. It comes with a rigid fork, disc brakes, 1x9 drivetrain (with Alivio Shadow derailleur), and is less than 500 bucks on their website. It might be just what you're looking for.
Old 10-19-17, 08:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm. yea thats an idea. ill look at the redux. simplicity. future proof affordability is what im looking at. im hesitant on the amazon bikes because of stories of out of round untrue? wheels ect. the circa 1 appears to be strikingly similar to the cypress base.
Old 10-19-17, 10:32 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by 131368
hmm. yea thats an idea. ill look at the redux. simplicity. future proof affordability is what im looking at. im hesitant on the amazon bikes because of stories of out of round untrue? wheels ect. the circa 1 appears to be strikingly similar to the cypress base.
I think wheel roundness is potentially a problem with any bike. A local bike shop will check that and adjust as necessary when they assemble the bike -- a bike bought online obviously is assembled by you, so you will need to address any issues like that (or have a local shop straighten them up). My local bike shop charges 15 bucks to true a wheel, which I think is fair.
Old 11-21-17, 01:02 PM
GLJo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The Roll comes with a BMX-style handlebar that could easily be swapped for a different style to suit fit or comfort. Of course, it being a quill stem ...

Are you sure its a quill stem?
Old 11-21-17, 03:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GLJo
Are you sure its a quill stem?
I ended up finding and buying a roll here in town. I’m glad I held out, love the bike. I believe it’s a normal fork tube/ headset. It’s just a wierd shape. Not round but kinda of oblong
Old 11-25-17, 02:56 PM
Cloudscout

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the posts here. I was reading through all of these last night and they convinced me to go to my LBS and test ride a Roll Comp X1. I loved it and I'm trying to talk my wife into taking me back to the store so she can drop me off and let me ride a new bike home.

My Raleigh Revenio Carbon has sat idle since Spring 2014 when the doctor made me give up road bikes after an ulnar nerve issue. Since then I've been riding my 2007 Specialized Crossroads which I love but I really want something a little bit lighter that lets me maintain the upright riding position mandated by my doctor.

I wish the Comp X1 came in other colors. The black looks cool but I really dig the orange color available in the Sport trim.
Old 11-25-17, 08:23 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloudscout
I appreciate the posts here. I was reading through all of these last night and they convinced me to go to my LBS and test ride a Roll Comp X1. I loved it and I'm trying to talk my wife into taking me back to the store so she can drop me off and let me ride a new bike home.

My Raleigh Revenio Carbon has sat idle since Spring 2014 when the doctor made me give up road bikes after an ulnar nerve issue. Since then I've been riding my 2007 Specialized Crossroads which I love but I really want something a little bit lighter that lets me maintain the upright riding position mandated by my doctor.

I wish the Comp X1 came in other colors. The black looks cool but I really dig the orange color available in the Sport trim.
Have her take a test ride too...maybe both of you will be riding bikes home.

Looks like Specialized has updated their website and the 2018 colors are there for everyone's viewing.
Old 11-26-17, 09:43 PM
Cloudscout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salty Pete
Have her take a test ride too...maybe both of you will be riding bikes home
She's ridiculously frugal. In fact, she's insisting that I sell at least one of my other bikes before I buy this one. Fair enough, but a challenge in Minnesota at this time of year.
Old 11-27-17, 06:16 PM
Cloudscout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, it's very rare to see these used in the usual places but I checked eBay and there happened to be a used Roll Sport up for auction. Sometime next week I should have my bike.

Not as fancy as the Comp X1 but the wife was okay with the purchase since I ended up paying about $600 less than I was planning to spend for the Comp... and at least I get the orange color that I wanted. Heh.
Old 12-01-17, 03:46 PM
Korax

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roll Sport Step Thru, 2020 Trek Verve+ 2 Low Step

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Roll Your Own video from Spec

Old 12-02-17, 02:47 AM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool video.
I like that River Roll. Wanting a 2nd Roll, a step through model. In time.
Old 12-04-17, 10:32 AM
Proparoo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it worth the extra $$$ Comp or Sport

I've been looking at the Roll for some time. I was originally going to buy the Comp that was on sale but waited. I'm glad I did as I'm not sure the extra $$ of the comp is worth it.
I look at it this way, even the upgraded components of the Comp aren't really that much of an upgrade in the big picture of today's bikes especially compared to a $3k bike plus the fact I'm only going to use it on the bike path and for super mellow rides. So I'm thinking of saving the money and getting the Sport model.
I'd like to know what you all think. Sport or Comp.
Old 12-04-17, 04:05 PM
HLW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're just going to do bike path rides and that sort of thing I'd just go with the Sport. I don't know why you'd need hydraulic disc brakes on a bike like the Roll, and it's not like any of the models are going to be super light anyway
Old 12-04-17, 04:10 PM
HLW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although after looking again, I see there is also a Sport EQ that has rim brakes and a rear rack. I assume you were talking about the regular sport with no racks and mechanical disc brakes. Either way, I'd still go with the Sport. If you want to run a 1x setup like the Comp you can always buy a narrow wide ring for $40 and do the conversion yourself.
Old 12-04-17, 04:14 PM
HLW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One last thing, if you want the chilliest, most laid back ride experience possible, I definitely recommend getting the step through model. If you ever mount a rear rack with a basket or child seat, not having to lift your let 4' in the air just to mount the bike is awesome
Old 01-27-18, 03:42 PM
DCByton

Bikes: A herd of 6 Specialized bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a roll on order lg low entry can't wait to start riding again its been a long 3 years do to a leg injury.can't get on my sirrus or crosstrail at this time, so hello low entry.
Old 02-01-18, 08:54 PM
Bill Gem

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DCByton
I have a roll on order lg low entry can't wait to start riding again its been a long 3 years do to a leg injury.can't get on my sirrus or crosstrail at this time, so hello low entry.
Best of luck with the bike. Enjoy it in good health. Which version did you get?
Old 02-02-18, 11:22 AM
DCByton

Bikes: A herd of 6 Specialized bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Gem
Best of luck with the bike. Enjoy it in good health. Which version did you get?
I have the small (5' 9 1/2") Roll comp x-1 low entry. I received it yesterday and put 2 miles on it (smooth).

It feels great to ride again. I look forward to today's ride.Very happy with it.

Last edited by DCByton; 02-02-18 at 11:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.