Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2017 Schwinn Circuit at Target

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2017 Schwinn Circuit at Target

Old 04-15-17, 04:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
right on! enjoy! be safe!
Old 04-16-17, 06:31 AM
Bike Life

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950 MTB, 1991 Schwinn Crosscut, 2015 Trek 520,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If that's the bike you want I would still say look on craigs list. You can probably get one for $50 or less. But like others have said I'm sure you can find a better bike on CL for $200
Old 04-17-17, 12:25 PM
anthony.b

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Craigslist is your friend. I recently found a 2012 Trek Verve 1 in great condition for $120 (via a pawn shop). Then a few weeks after I upgraded to a 2010 Trek Fx 7.3 for $230. My Fiance at the same time was bike shopping and ended up with a $200 target hybrid and it's "cute" but she couldn't keep up with me on the Verve. The Target bike is heavier than it needs to be, and uses super cheap components. I couldn't get the rear wheel right as the freewheel is just bent. The bottom of the barrel shimano rear derailleur stinks too.

Buy a nice used bike (that already comes with nicer components) and spend the rest on a new seat, ergo grips, tires etc. The difference between the used Trek's and the Target bike is huge. They're lighter, faster, easier to tune, and built very well. My Fiance ended up with my Trek Verve and loves it and I couldn't be happier with my FX.

Take a look and you'll find tons of Giant's, Specialized's, Trek's, and a ton of nice classic bikes. I'm not sure where you are in LA but also take a look at the Orange County listings as well.

Im in Los Angeles too.
Old 04-17-17, 12:39 PM
anthony.b

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was curious so I looked again. Found a Trek 2300 for $200 in Expo Park. It needs new gears but, i'd take that and toss in $100 for repairs at your local bike shop over a target bike any day.

Just found this. "Trek 58cm with UPGRADES - $250
Bought a Touring bike for cross country trip. Selling my trek. I put tires with reflective thin white walls , tubes, seat post extra long and seat from new bike. Trek has Bonar ager hubs rims. New chain 2 weeks old. PLUS NEW ROTORS , CALIPERS LEVERS AND HYDRALIC DISC BRAKES STILL IN BAG. CARBON END GRIPS AND BACK RACK FOR DISC BRAKES. TOP POST BAG AND rear PANNIERS. Chain stay kick stands. Bottle holder an front and rear lights. Upgrade wide spiked pedals.
58cm or 23 inchs"

It's a beast of a bike for that price! I would post the URL but im new here and I'm guessing that it's most likely not allowed.

Last edited by anthony.b; 04-17-17 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-28-17, 08:27 AM
ga14de

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jwoair23
I just recently bought this bike, so I thought I would offer a few insights.
Hi Jw, do you know or inspect, if the rigid fork is also made out of aluminum too, like the frame? Thanks!

Edit: I got my answer from a representative. The rigid fork is also aluminum. And also, the total bike weight is at 29 lbs according to the actual tag, and not 38 lbs that was stated in the Target site. Wheels/tires at 700x33c, 620mm riser bar.

This bike is actually a good entry level bike for those who would like to try serious cycling (who aren't ready to commit on a $500-600 bike). More refined than the other sub $200 bike that I've tried. I had to realign the brake calipers though and adjust the tension. I also had to adjust the front derailleur height and cage alignment with some minor tweaking of the H/L screws. Didn't have any problem with the rear derailleur.

Last edited by ga14de; 09-15-17 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-07-18, 08:25 PM
TheEstimator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all! So, now that this thread has been out there a while, I need a solid opinion on the Schwinn Circuit Hybrid bicycle. Yes, the one that Target sells. Keeping in mind that I've ridden some better/higher end name brand bikes in my younger years so I understand the difference. I respect people's opinions of 'big box store' bikes, but Schwinn is fairly respectable as a name goes. This bike is of reasonable lineage and seems pretty respectable. I just need something to help reduce my gravitational pull, doesn't break the bank, and will help me achieve my cardiovascular health.

All that aside, does anyone have some real world knowledge of how their bike is performing over time? I'm going to pull the trigger on this one soon. Any info is appreciated.
Old 02-07-18, 09:14 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go for this Trek FX. Looks fantastic and is a fine entry level bike. $360

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
Old 02-08-18, 08:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Delwis
I'd go for this Trek FX. Looks fantastic and is a fine entry level bike. $360

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
& they hold their resale value, meaning even a used Trek FX is usually no lower than $300 in my area (I know, because I bought one for everyone in my family)

like these 3

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bi...488813719.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bi...467528641.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...486998706.html

& if you know a petite woman ...:

https://providence.craigslist.org/bi...467897463.html

this is one is showroom new & a higher end model so it's more expensive, but their whole line is good

https://providence.craigslist.org/bi...446643945.html

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-08-18 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 11:04 AM
pjthomas

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djmcnz
But wow $289? You could almost throw it away after 12 months if you didn't like it.

Assuming you're not doing 100 miles a week, or having to carry it up flights of stairs (38lbs!), it's difficult to fault on face value.

If you're looking for an inexpensive new bike I certainly wouldn't rule out a trip to Target to try it out for fit etc! Trace is twice the price and probably not twice the bike (although I stand to be corrected on that).

Description says it's a "woman's" bike but title says "men's" so check what's in the box!

Link: Schwinn Hybrid @ Target
Trek is current selling 2017 FX 2 Womens for $299.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=green
Old 02-08-18, 12:18 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by pjthomas
Trek is current selling 2017 FX 2 Womens for $299.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=green
does this mean free delivery to the bike shop? & would it mean the shop might charge to assemble it?

"Free ground shipping on gear purchases of $49 or more, or get free shipping on any order to a Trek retailer for Click & Collect. All bike purchases must ship to a Trek retailer, some of which offer home delivery."
Old 02-08-18, 03:11 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by TheEstimator
Hey all! So, now that this thread has been out there a while, I need a solid opinion on the Schwinn Circuit Hybrid bicycle. Yes, the one that Target sells. Keeping in mind that I've ridden some better/higher end name brand bikes in my younger years so I understand the difference. I respect people's opinions of 'big box store' bikes, but Schwinn is fairly respectable as a name goes. This bike is of reasonable lineage and seems pretty respectable. I just need something to help reduce my gravitational pull, doesn't break the bank, and will help me achieve my cardiovascular health.

All that aside, does anyone have some real world knowledge of how their bike is performing over time? I'm going to pull the trigger on this one soon. Any info is appreciated.
I know you are asking for others whom may have this bike and their opinions. Since no one has given one yet, I checked out the reviews others have given on WalMart, Target and Ebay. So far the biggest issue that is appearing for those whom really ride often, is a failing bottom bracket. Appears to fail quickly since it is being noted that it isn't sealed. This will greatly increase you cost of this bike to replace with a sealed unit.

This bike is good for those whom just want to ride around occasionally in the neighborhood, but it seems that it might require lots of part to be replaced soon. So you may need to factor that cost in if you are planning on riding often.
Old 02-08-18, 03:22 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by travbikeman
failing bottom bracket
just reminded me, I did have to replace the BB in my Trailway. but not right away. it lasted.

but I think giving this OP any advice is pointless because I think he hasn't been active on BF since this thread was started

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-08-18 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 03:36 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
just reminded me, I did have to replace the BB in my Trailway. but not right away. it lasted.

but I think giving this OP any advice is pointless because I think he hasn't been active on BF since this thread was started
It wasn't to the OP. It was a reply to the Estimator whom posted today.
Old 02-08-18, 04:11 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I think there is a case for buying a base model Trek or Specialized or Giant vs. the Schwinn because they will hold their value better over time. There are two types of Schwinn bikes sold today -- one is the variety you see sold in "box stores", like that Trailway. Schwinn also have a "Signature" line which are properly good bikes, and on the same level as other bike shop brands. The Schwinns sold at Target are about the same as other no-names in terms of build quality (like Genesis, Kent, etc).

Others have suggested that any replacement part on that Schwinn will pretty quickly move it into "bike shop brand" territory as far as cost of ownership goes. Things like the bottom bracket are far less likely to die early on the Trek, meaning a $249 Schwinn could turn into a $300 or $350 Schwinn pretty quick. And then you have the downtime and the lower resale value. The Schwinn will likely cost you more money to own over the life of the bike.

Not that there's anything wrong with it. If you stated that you planned to ride it once every few weeks on nice afternoons, the Schwinn may go years without needing a repair or an adjustment. But your stated purpose of exercise and health tells me that you either will or would like to ride regularly. At that duty cycle, you will very likely be happier with a bike shop brand bike.
Old 02-08-18, 06:27 PM
TheEstimator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone. I believe I've been convinced otherwise on the Schwinn. Makes sense to me now to put in a bit more for better quality, as is almost always the case. I was just looking at the Trek Verve and Verve 2 on Trek's website. I'm intrigued..
Old 02-08-18, 06:30 PM
rumrunn6

It wasn't to the OP. It was a reply to the Estimator whom posted today.
oh sorry, but that wasn't directed at you. I was just throwing it out there cuz I took a closer look at this thread
Old 02-08-18, 06:42 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Verve Series is a great choice if you want wider tires. Should be nice and comfortable. I see the 2 has an alloy fork and an 8 speed Shimano cassette. I'd go for the 2. I think it's worth the extra cost especially with the alloy fork.
Old 02-08-18, 08:10 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by TheEstimator
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone. I believe I've been convinced otherwise on the Schwinn. Makes sense to me now to put in a bit more for better quality, as is almost always the case. I was just looking at the Trek Verve and Verve 2 on Trek's website. I'm intrigued..
One of my two primary hybrids is a Verve. Mine is a 2015 model Verve 3, but Trek were using slightly narrower tires with a suspension fork back then. They're currently using a rigid fork and wider 45mm tires.

I love this bike. It has a comfortable geometry and just fits me very well. I bought it in the summer of 2016 (when it was a year old) and paid 250 bucks for it. Basically brand new -- it just sat in the guy's garage until he decided to sell it. Mine has a 3x8 Acera drivetrain, which is similar to what you will find on today's Verve 2 (the current Verve 3 has moved to a 3x9 drivetrain). You get a very nice bike for 500 bucks. But the Verve 1 is also well-equipped, with trigger shifters a mid-grade Altus rear derailleur, which is more than you'll find on many $399 bikes (which will typically have Tourney derailleurs and twist shifters).

The Verve is a very versatile bike, and easy to adjust. The 2 and 3 have a very nice adjustable quill stem -- meaning you're nearly guaranteed to be able to adjust the handlebar into a comfortable position for you without buying additional parts or replacement stems. I think the Verve 2 is worth the extra $120 over the Verve 1 because you get the adjustable stem, a cassette rear hub with nicer derailleur (and 8 sprockets vs 7), and a suspension seat post (if that appeals to you). The Verve 3 is another 100 bucks over the Verve 2, and the difference mainly lies in the rear derailleur and one extra sprocket (9 in the back versus 8). I think the Verve 2 is probably the sweet spot in today's Verve lineup.

Here's my Verve 3. I've swapped OUT the suspension seat post (I didn't care for it), and I added Planet Bike Cascadia fenders, a pair of 50 Strong bottle cages (which hold Gatorade or water bottles great), and a complete set of Kool-Stop dual compound brake pads.

IMG_20180120_144818795 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

Last edited by hokiefyd; 02-08-18 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-13-18, 07:31 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I saw this bike today at Target and was intrigued. It is $225 now
What drew me to it is the fact it seems to be able to take tires way over 2". The components are all crap, yes. The wheels also suck for the fact that the spokes are not normally laced, but have some pattern, so you can never repair it easily or replace the hub. It has a freewheel, so one can't upgrade the drivetrain easily.

I'm looking for a chap hybrid frame to build a bike for my wife (want 1x11, hydraulic brakes etc.) and 2" tires and rigid fork. Seems impossible to find unless I'm willing to buy a Giant Toughroad. So buying a bike like that may not be too bad assuming the frame is safe.
I lifted it and weight seemed OK. I assume the cheap BB, crank etc. are part of the weight.

Edit: it seems someone on ebay tries to sell t for $437. good luck with that.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 05-13-18 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 04:42 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I'm looking for a chap hybrid frame to build a bike for my wife (want 1x11, hydraulic brakes etc.) and 2" tires and rigid fork. Seems impossible to find unless I'm willing to buy a Giant Toughroad. So buying a bike like that may not be too bad assuming the frame is safe.
I lifted it and weight seemed OK. I assume the cheap BB, crank etc. are part of the weight.
The Giant ARX would meet your needs (or the women's Liv version if she prefers). It already comes with hydraulic brakes and 2" tires and a rigid fork. All you'd need to change out is the gearing. But it comes with conventional wheels already, so you might be money ahead on that ($500) than buying the Schwinn and replacing more parts on it.
Old 05-14-18, 06:11 AM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The Giant ARX would meet your needs (or the women's Liv version if she prefers). It already comes with hydraulic brakes and 2" tires and a rigid fork. All you'd need to change out is the gearing. But it comes with conventional wheels already, so you might be money ahead on that ($500) than buying the Schwinn and replacing more parts on it.
That is not bad and the hydraulic brakes are Tektro (mineral oil), so would work. However, it is 27.5" and like to have 29". First better rolling for a hybrid, second to have commonalities in the household (swap tires with my hybrid etc.). She currently has a 26" FS schwinn.
Also want to set her up tubeless and the ARX tires are not, and the rims may be (I successfully tubelessed my toughroad rims, even if not labelled tubeless ready). So buying a "better" bike is a gamble in case tubeless doesn't work on them.

New wheels will cost me $220 (DT Swiss rims, spokes and SLX hubs) if I build self and order from Europe. Those would be much better wheels than come on any lower level LBS bike. i actually would put those new wheels on my bike and give her my giant wheels since she doesn't ride much. So there is an upgrade benefit to my bike too....
Hydraulic shimano brakes around $80.
On the 1x11 the most outrageous cost would be crank. but if i sum all this up, it gets rid of the crap of the Schwinn.
Old 05-17-18, 10:33 AM
Brooke1687

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I had two Schwinn bikes from target for I bought a LBS bike. I liked them both and they got me started. The first I paid $200 for and rode for 5 or 6 years, although infrequently, I sold it for $75. The 2nd I paid $80 for, road it for 2 months, and sold it for $100 easily. My point is only that you can sometimes find deals on them, but even if you don’t they’re resaleable.

I never had any issue with either one, although again I wasn’t a frequent rider, i was riding 25-30 miles a week at most. If it gets you started, go for it. You can always upgrade later, but you can probably also find something nicer used for around the same price so just keep an eye out.
Old 05-18-18, 08:17 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
pony up a little more for a base sirrus:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239682-129091
Old 05-20-18, 12:34 AM
raria

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This better bike can be had for $269 when Nashbar has their 25% off sale, which is like once a week.

Diamondback Insight 1 Bike
Or Bikesdirect.com Target bikes are great if you need a bike that day. But if you can wait a week or two then mail order is better for value.
Old 05-20-18, 10:51 AM
HerrKaLeun

I went to Target yesterday and measured it. Tire clearance is probably 60+ mm (even on chainstay). So really great for large tires. Can fit 2.15" tire easily with room to spare.
not sure why other manufactures can't get it done when Schwinn can do it with a triple chainring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.