Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Lance argues for unionization of bike racers

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Lance argues for unionization of bike racers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-17, 03:31 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Worded differently...
Why take something you love and make it a job?

Then there is this whole thread topic. Riders being abused. Dangerous conditions riding - road and weather and IMO races are just too long. Riders that are super fast and exciting to watch in a 60 mile race, just can't do it in 110+ mile races - day in and day out without serious training time.

I would much rather watch a 2-3 hour road race than a 5 hour one. There is more energy, more attacking and less conserving.

A rider can have a life and train for the former, while the later requires it be a full time job.
I think lots of talent is lost there too.
Old 07-26-17, 03:32 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by direwolf
Does he even still have a prevalent voice in the cycling community?
Lance? I think so.
I listen to him. He is pretty in touch with everything and speaks his mind. He has nothing to lose from his views, only from court cases.
Old 07-26-17, 03:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Lance? I think so.
I listen to him. He is pretty in touch with everything and speaks his mind. He has nothing to lose from his views, only from court cases.
Plus, he has such a reputation for honesty and loyalty ....
Old 07-26-17, 08:35 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Plus, he has such a reputation for honesty and loyalty ....
He is quite similar to all the others he raced with, but trust has little to do with it.

He has a view on how pro cycling, esp the TdF stuff is. At the time there was not Sagan. Sagan changes things a bit, but his views are insightful.

Authorities still take inputs from convicted criminals.
Choosing not to listen to Lance is giving up information you might not get elsewhere.

Remember - the only reason we know he cheated is because he said. To date, there are only accusers and he still has never been sanctioned for not passing a drug test.
So if you are going to believe his confessions, might as well believe his input on the tour.
Old 07-26-17, 09:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

What I mean is, he lied about all of it and he completely went out to ruin everyone who tried to tell the truth. Think Frankie Andrieu and Greg Lemond got screwed? And everyone else who Lance crossed paths with? I do.

It isn't that he doped ... as far as i can tell, the whole peloton did for decades. it is that he went way out of his way to hurt everyone ... not just to defend himself but to attack everyone---who even hinted that he might ever have doped.

By the way .. if you still harbor any doubts about his cheating you are not sane.

Also, the fact that he passed every test is a Tremendous indictment of the UCI, and has nothing to do with whether he ever doped.
Old 07-26-17, 11:07 PM
Doge

Well my comment is he has good perspective on the World Tour industry. And no reason to not tell it like it is.
Old 07-27-17, 12:23 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Worded differently...

Then there is this whole thread topic. Riders being abused.
Yeah, I had the idea that things were a little different in cycling, where the most hard-core fans (at least in the US) tend to be fairly serious enthusiast riders, and so know at some level what the pros are going through. Some of the comments about Taylor Phinney really crossed a line, and all because some people are annoyed by his way of speaking.

I agree about the shorter races being more exciting. It would be nice if the one-day races got more coverage, and if there were some big prize money US races in the US that were organized that way. Maybe there are and I don't know about them, but it seems like a lot of the pro-level races in the US are trying to emulate the big tours of Europe.

I also agree about Lance having some useful insights. I just did a long drive a couple of days ago, and I passed the time by listening to his last 5-6 TdF podcasts, the ones that also included Hincapie as well as a few others. His ordeal seems to have finally changed him for the better, and he definitely has some important insights. And as you mention, the pro ranks are still full of people who were a big part of the culture that LA became the poster child for.
Old 07-27-17, 12:41 PM
Maelochs

Well my comment is he has good perspective on the World Tour industry. And no reason to not tell it like it is.
can't argue this ... (well i certainly Could, but ...)

Originally Posted by Kevindale
His ordeal seems to have finally changed him for the better, and he definitely has some important insights. And as you mention, the pro ranks are still full of people who were a big part of the culture that LA became the poster child for.
I hope he has finally grown up. I was hoping after he got thoroughly busted that he would change his attitude ... I guess maybe it will just take a while.

I was a big fan ... and I knew he doped, because he beat other guys everyone knew doped ... he still beat them.

The problem I had was that afterwards, he decided not to man up and instead to beat up all the people who had put up with him and supported him all those years. Even when he admitted he doped, I felt like he was saying "EFFew" to everyone. Maybe being out of combat for a few years has helped him.

I hope so.
Old 07-27-17, 03:03 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The problem I had was that afterwards, he decided not to man up and instead to beat up all the people who had put up with him and supported him all those years. Even when he admitted he doped, I felt like he was saying "EFFew" to everyone. Maybe being out of combat for a few years has helped him.

I hope so.
Aside from listening to those podcasts, I recently watched a BBC interview he did last year.
He was dramatically different compared to the way he sounded and interacted even just a couple of years earlier (say, 2014, about a year after the Oprah interview). I think he had to be denied his drug of choice (competition) for a few years to really go through some recovery.

I'm not suggesting he's ready to be given role-model status again, but I think perhaps it's time for his role as the scapegoat to come to an end, if only so that some of those still in pro cycling (with very dirty hands) can be called out on their hypocrisy.
Old 08-07-17, 12:26 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not really the same thing. The ASO does not negotiate with the riders union (as far as I know) as the NFL would negotiate with the NFLPA.

But I am not an expert on this, just seems the union for cyclists is at the side while other pro sports is in between.
Correct. For example,. as Lance points out, they have no say in the safety of the course. There is a difference between a good show and a safe racecourse.

Cycling is like football was back in the 60's or baseball was pre-Curt Flood.
Old 08-07-17, 12:35 PM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Worded differently...

Then there is this whole thread topic. Riders being abused. Dangerous conditions riding - road and weather and IMO races are just too long. Riders that are super fast and exciting to watch in a 60 mile race, just can't do it in 110+ mile races - day in and day out without serious training time.

I would much rather watch a 2-3 hour road race than a 5 hour one. There is more energy, more attacking and less conserving.

A rider can have a life and train for the former, while the later requires it be a full time job.
I think lots of talent is lost there too.

Having been there (but had alternatives) I rode with guys that didn't have a lot of alternatives. This was in Europe...guys who had maybe sixth or seventh grade educations who were going to either work in a mine or a really bad factory, or race a bike. It's why they are so good...they have incentive.

Frankly, making a little cash helped pay for college. But you sure learn how steep the talent pyramid is. over there. It's nothing like that over here. In the industrial part of Belgium, Flanders (where the good riders come from) racing a bike is the way out. That's why they take something they love and turn it into a job.
Old 08-07-17, 01:44 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My position for years has been that many of these long tours are too long and grueling to be finished by non-enhanced humans. Is the UCI forcing them to dope, then catching and punishing a certain % of them to 'prove' they're on the job keeping the sport clean?
Old 08-08-17, 11:50 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My position for years has been that many of these long tours are too long and grueling to be finished by non-enhanced humans. Is the UCI forcing them to dope, then catching and punishing a certain % of them to 'prove' they're on the job keeping the sport clean?

lol...I raced in stage races five/six days in a row. I seriously am not sure how, after a week and a half some of these guys can get out of bed in the morning. Not they have masseurs and the like, but I was one sore guy after a five day race. That third week facing a major mountain chain...

Was it Anquetil who said we don't do this on mineral water and soda crackers?
Old 08-08-17, 10:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Profit sharing?