Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Delivery Bikes in Dan Haag

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 08-06-17, 07:27 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts

These delivery bikes are all over the place in Dan Haag today............. there's currently hundreds of them across the city delivering grocery shopping, take away, Beer & wine, plants and diy items, even car and bicycle parts.

They are all front wheel drive electric assist with easy swap batteries and they've all got the square section mounting points for sliding various boxes to carry the goods. Each front and rear mounting is rated to 25kg/55lb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8565 (2).jpg (97.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_8569.jpg (99.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 08-07-17, 07:33 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
To confirm, the batteries are presumably the black sticks on top of the main tube, right? Can the maker of the bikes be identified?

On the differently organized end, I saw this summer in Europe a host of riders with black cube boxes on their back marked as Uber delivery, I think UberEats.
Old 08-24-17, 03:06 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5894 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Can the maker of the bikes be identified?
About the Deliver Ebike | E-Bike4delivery - Bezorgen zonder zorgen!

On the differently organized end, I saw this summer in Europe a host of riders with black cube boxes on their back marked as Uber delivery, I think UberEats.
Where I live they are mainly used by Domino's, or only Domino's, I haven't seen them used by any other company. They are pretty fast, the bikes I mean, don't know about the delivery because I don't eat from Domino's.
Old 08-25-17, 03:05 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
[QUOTE=Stadjer;19814248]About the Deliver Ebike | E-Bike4delivery - Bezorgen zonder zorgen![\QUOTE]

Thanks! Very interesting. For what is provided those Ebikes+additions do not seem that expensive.

Originally Posted by Stadjer
Where I live they are mainly used by Domino's, or only Domino's, I haven't seen them used by any other company. They are pretty fast, the bikes I mean, don't know about the delivery because I don't eat from Domino's.
UberEats seems to serve now many cities around the world

https://about.ubereats.com/en/cities/

they generally partner with different restaurants and when you work for them you provide your own vehicle

https://www.uber.com/a/signup/drive/deliver/

Presumably in the area where I saw them there were other vehicles in use too but the cyclists were the most visible.
Old 08-25-17, 03:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Bezorging zonder zorgen!

...is the best thing I'm going to read all day.

The direct English translation to "Delivery without concern," also tickles me.
Old 08-26-17, 03:02 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5894 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
[QUOTE=2_i;19818015]
Originally Posted by Stadjer
About the Deliver Ebike | E-Bike4delivery - Bezorgen zonder zorgen![\QUOTE]

Thanks! Very interesting. For what is provided those Ebikes+additions do not seem that expensive.

UberEats seems to serve now many cities around the world

https://about.ubereats.com/en/cities/

they generally partner with different restaurants and when you work for them you provide your own vehicle

https://www.uber.com/a/signup/drive/deliver/

Presumably in the area where I saw them there were other vehicles in use too but the cyclists were the most visible.
The bikes are much nicer to have on the roads than the mopeds that used to do the deliveries. Where I live the best pizzeria's, Asian take aways usually don't deliver because it used to be a different kind of business one really had to commit to. Now it's possible to have a delivery service on the side. But still I don't share your enthousiasm.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Bezorging zonder zorgen!

...is the best thing I'm going to read all day.

The direct English translation to "Delivery without concern," also tickles me.
The concern is on the teenager who has invested 2000 euro's in a bike and is riding around as fast as possible without insurance and has the full financial responsability for business taxes and stuff like that. A mistake or other typical teenage behaviour might get very expensive. Companies like Uber and Deliveroo are putting al the risk and responsability on young people for only the earnings of a regular job. They are exploiting the optimism and boldness of youth. The bikes themselves are the only good thing about these new developments.

I can't support that, I'll just keep cycling with pizza's myself.
Old 08-27-17, 10:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Hub motors are fine in flat places..
Old 08-27-17, 01:02 PM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Hub motors are fine in flat places..

Really? what makes you say that?

We've got hills here in Norwich including the steepest being Gas Hill at 1 in 5 and I live at the top of the 1 in 7 Ketts Hill.
<250watt hub motors (legal UK max) in the front wheels are doing the business here, even the motorised cargo bikes on Amazon and Argos delivery routes such a NRC truks and 8freight rear loaders and my own front loaders.

Last edited by Gareth; 08-28-17 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer errors
Old 08-28-17, 09:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Because I live where the hills confine the Columbia river to not have a delta.
I've been to the NL Coast .. sand berms .. not much elevation change

'We' sell a lot of mid drive conversions, at the bike shop, they have more torque+ the gearing advantage
of the rear wheel gears. to Elk and Deer hunters..

You have headwinds instead of mountains (outside of Maastricht, )

Old 08-28-17, 04:34 PM
Gareth

Because I live where the hills confine the Columbia river to not have a delta.
I've been to the NL Coast .. sand berms .. not much elevation change
You have headwinds instead of mountains (outside of Maastricht, )...
But I am not in the Netherlands, I just travel there on business and to visit family 5/6 times a year. Norwich to Amsterdam is only 45 minutes by air.

I live in Norwich in the UK and Norwich is a city built on hills and we have a constant NE wind coming in off the North Sea. The hills vary from the 1 in 5 gas Hill, I live off the top of the 1 in 7 Ketts hill which is a primary route into out of the city. Gurney road, another primary route is 1 in 6, the city centre access is off Grapes Hill and that is only a moderate 1 in 10, then we have Carrow hill which is also 1 in 6 and Bracondale which is an easy 1 in 13, and then the city centre itself is far from flat with Gaol Hill, Timber hill, Ten Bells hill and Castle Hill to name just a handful more. In fact every road route into and out of the city is on a hill We've got two cargo bike delivery companies: Outspoken and The Last Mile on the Argos and Amazon routes along with a few independents running cargo bikes for DHL and UPS and we have gradient changes every few hundred metres.

I don't dispute that mid drives can deliver more torque but here in the UK we are limited by law to 250 watt motors and 18mph under electric drive, yet we have 250kg/550lb gross (rider, bike and load) raw pedal and pedal assist cargo bikes running about all over the city, alongside the Uber delivery and deliveroo riders on their bikes.

Last edited by Gareth; 08-28-17 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-29-17, 07:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Den Haag/The Hague is where it is..
Old 08-29-17, 02:30 PM
Gareth

Den Haag/The Hague is where it is..
Yes, I know that, I took the original photos a few weeks ago.

But you were the one who stated that "Hub motors are fine in flat places".. and I was the one who made the point regarding 250 watt hub motors being used in the front wheels of cargo bikes locally here in Norwich............ a not so flat city.