Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cargo Bike Knee Pain

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Cargo Bike Knee Pain

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 05:38 PM
maddy13
late night rider

Bikes: masi vincere/ san jose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cargo Bike Knee Pain

Hi Guys,

The front of my knees have been increasingly tender as I've been carting my kiddo across town on my Bike Friday Haul-A-Day. Love the bike. Kid loves the bike. She sits between my bars in a Yepp Mini, and her diaper bag and gear go in the bags.

My gearing is decent, but still the knees are getting worse. I haven't had this issue with regular bikes.

Any advice?
Old 08-23-17, 08:47 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Is the Yepp causing you to pedal with your legs flared out? Do you have your saddle lower than you would normally have it? Every time I've had knee pain it's been due to a saddle height/position issue.

Side question - Is running a Yepp Mini approved by Bike Friday? I thought for sure that they would recommend against that due to the increased leverage of their long handlepost on that bike.
Old 08-23-17, 10:31 PM
maddy13
late night rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nightdiver
Is the Yepp causing you to pedal with your legs flared out? Do you have your saddle lower than you would normally have it? Every time I've had knee pain it's been due to a saddle height/position issue.

Side question - Is running a Yepp Mini approved by Bike Friday? I thought for sure that they would recommend against that due to the increased leverage of their long handlepost on that bike.
I didn't ask them. The seat works awesome between the low standover and swept back handlebars.

I don't actually hit my knees on the seat. The seat doesn't feel low. I was guessing it was pushing the extra weight uphill without the ability to climb out of the saddle, but that can't be changed, and the seat can. I'll mess with it a bit.

Mainly I was asking if others have run into this.
Old 08-23-17, 10:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
I agree with Nightdiver.

Forget about it being a cargo bike. You have no issues riding other bikes, yet do with this one. So think about the SPECIFIC differences. Saddle height, saddle for/aft position with respect to the bottom bracket. Pedal separation (Q-factor), possibly a bent crank or pedal spindle, etc.

Of those, I suspect that the most likely factor is the fore/aft saddle position vs. the BB, so start by dropping a plumb on each bike.

Other more subtle factors may also matter. For example, you might normally stand for those high torque first few stokes starting from a stop, or to top a short hill instead of shifting. If the cargo bike makes that harder, you might not, and those harder pushes while seated may be the issue.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-23-17 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 12:06 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I have a wide Q-Factor on my cargo bike which I find bothersome. At least that is what I think. But that shouldn't be a problem with the Bike Friday.

Balance and standing sounds like an interesting issue. I know when I get my old road bike loaded down, I have to train myself to keep the bike perfectly vertical when doing standing hill climbs, but your child carrier may limit you a bit from even that. Is it a balance issue, flex issue, or size/position issue?

An interesting experiment might be to see how your balance changes if you lengthened the top tube.
Old 08-24-17, 09:30 AM
maddy13
late night rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the frame all the way extended back to allow for the seat, and I'm 5'1, so that may be the issue.

I've actually thought about having a dropper post installed to have easier dismounts. It sounds funny, but that may actually be necessary if I need to move the frame in to fit properly.
Old 08-27-17, 10:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Maybe because you have to ride bowlegged to clear the baby seat, with your legs?

She sits between my bars in a Yepp Mini
It will get better when the baby seat is behind you, and you can bring your knees closer together again.