Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe G-One Allaround blowing off the rim. Why? Alternative?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Schwalbe G-One Allaround blowing off the rim. Why? Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-17, 01:20 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Tim- Here is a photo of the bead on my tubed version of the SK. When you get your tubeless ones, I'd be interested in what you find different.
On my tubless tires there is a definate hook on the rim. Looks more square shaped, where my tubed tires have a more curved shape like those. I have had some tubless tires where I need soap on the tire to get it to slide properly onto the bead and seat properly.
Old 10-04-17, 01:22 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is how people are supposed to treat each other, sharing out of our abundance with those who have legitimate need. This is great.

I already have the Gravelkings on the way so find your tires a home if someone else wants them. I'll let you know about the G-One's.

Schwalbe emailed me the same day and asked for photos of the logo, said they had not seen this before except with two very specific brand/models of wheel. I replied today with the photos and will need to wait to hear what they say.

Here is a photo of how they start to bulge and deform. This was taken with a tube installed as test but they behave the same way tubeless. Schwalbe Easy Fit lubricant was used. Pumping it up further makes the deformation much worse, bulging on the side shown until they blow off the opposite side with a loud bang.

Well, send the G-one my way if they replace them and you don't want them. Or if they give you cash back, take the money and run. ;-)

I put some 650x60mm G-One on my GF's bike and love them. Insanely low rolling resistance and so cush! I'm so curious to try them (700x38) on my CX bike. Someday...
Old 10-04-17, 01:25 PM
chas58

Wow, thanks for the write up! good to know.

I was a little hesitant about them because many said the sector was pretty stiff. Interesting to see that the override feels supple. Weight and Ride quality are pretty high on my list of desirable qualities...

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Alternative;

Hutchinson Override 700x38

Size: 700x38, about 39mm wide, about 400 grams each.
Tread pattern: minimal file tread pattern in the center, progressively larger file tread on the shoulder.
Construction: 127 tpi, flat protection included, tubeless
Performance on pavement is excellent, like most road bike tires
Performance on firm gravel is excellent with very good cornering grip on a hardpacked fine gravel
Performance on deep or soft gravel is acceptable, float and traction is sufficient due to the wide footprint and supple construction.
Durability: good so far
Ride: super smooth and plush

The tire was eventually easy to install tubeless with a standard floor pump. I did pre-fit the tire using a tube and let it take shape at 80psi for 48 hours. This allowed the tire to seat quickly and hold air with 30 ml of sealant.

The Hutchinson Override is lightweight and very fast rolling. The Override helped me nearly produce the same kind of speeds I experience on my road bike on pavement with 700x25 Rubino Pro tires. Performance on a wide range of dry surfaces is excellent. Firm gravel, dry grass, dry single-track are all traveled with speed and confidence. Soft and rutted single-lane gravel roads require focus and skill, but can be covered quickly with sufficient traction. Wet gravel and pavement are acceptably easy to travel if the rider avoids any excessive banking during turns. I avoid wet earth and grass, it's not the right tire for those conditions.
Old 10-04-17, 01:38 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Wow, thanks for the write up! good to know.

I was a little hesitant about them because many said the sector was pretty stiff. Interesting to see that the override feels supple. Weight and Ride quality are pretty high on my list of desirable qualities...
I've used many tires on gravel, and I would confirm that the Hutchinson Override is the most supple of all the tires listed below. The Override can be ridden at 35psi for a very plush ride, it also remains plush at 60psi.

Schwalbe S-One tubeless: 30-622
Clement X'Plor MSO: 36,40-622 120tpi
Clement X'Plor USH: 35-622 120tpi
Challenge Parigi-Roubaix: 27-622,
Panaracer Gravel King: 28,32-622
Panaracer Pasela: 700x28
Kenda Happy Medium: 32-622
WTB Riddler: 45-622
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-04-17 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-05-17, 04:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Gravelkings smell great!

The natural rubber has filled my house with the most beautiful aroma, reminds me of a kid going to the tire shop with my dad where he would haggle with the guys about about putting used tires on whatever jalopy he happened to be driving at the time.

Hope these things ride half as good as they smell.

-Tim-
Old 10-05-17, 04:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Interesting how smells can take you back. I love the smell of cured tobacco. When I was a kid the farmers pulled their wagons along our street on the way to the warehouse.
Old 10-06-17, 07:03 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

@shelbyfv

-Tim-
Old 10-06-17, 11:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Looks like that bead may be more sharply defined than the one on my tires. What do you think? Let us know how they mount and ride.
Old 10-06-17, 01:49 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Hope these things ride half as good as they smell.
They do. I'm curious how wide they come out to once mounted, please report back if you can.
Old 10-06-17, 08:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by shoota
They do. I'm curious how wide they come out to once mounted, please report back if you can.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Looks like that bead may be more sharply defined than the one on my tires. What do you think? Let us know how they mount and ride.

Well here's the thing...

I had a pair of new 35 mm G-One's in my closet. These were ordered on sale as spares when I built the bike. The 35's were really enjoyable, never gave me any trouble. It was the 38's which asploded. So I was impatient, installed the 35 mm G-Ones because I wanted to ride and the Panaracers arrived the next day.

Maybe it is a risk but installation was reasonably easy and I like the way the 35 mm G-One's ride - supple and fast. The Panaracers will go on eventually but after doing the work to install the G-One's I'm not about to pull them off.

@shelbyfv, yes, the bead on the tubeless version definitely has a hook which yours appear not to have.

@chas58, Schwalbe is replacing the 38's under warranty. I will send them your way if you want but it will take some time. PM me your address anyway and you can have them.

-Tim-
Old 10-06-17, 09:19 PM
shoota 

Well here's the thing...

I had a pair of new 35 mm G-One's in my closet. These were ordered on sale as spares when I built the bike. The 35's were really enjoyable, never gave me any trouble. It was the 38's which asploded. So I was impatient, installed the 35 mm G-Ones because I wanted to ride and the Panaracers arrived the next day.

Maybe it is a risk but installation was reasonably easy and I like the way the 35 mm G-One's ride - supple and fast. The Panaracers will go on eventually but after doing the work to install the G-One's I'm not about to pull them off.

@shelbyfv, yes, the bead on the tubeless version definitely has a hook which yours appear not to have.

@chas58, Schwalbe is replacing the 38's under warranty. I will send them your way if you want but it will take some time. PM me your address anyway and you can have them.

-Tim-
No problem
Old 10-07-17, 05:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Thanks! Spares are always good to have, don't want to miss a riding day this time of year.
Old 10-10-17, 11:55 AM
chas58

that is why you need a spare bike(s)!!!
Old 10-15-17, 06:57 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
just got back from 245 miles in 3 days on the Katy Trail (stl to kc) on the G one allround 35c
they were the perfect tire for the very well packed gravel trail, handled the few sandy/mushy spots and mud puddles well, and seemed to roll very fast.
i'm sold.
Old 10-16-17, 01:48 PM
pushstart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thought I would throw out my +1 for G-One tires. I've spent a fair bit of time on 40mm ("700x38") G-One Allround and a lot less time on Panaracer GravelKing SK 43mm. The GravelKings aren't bad tires -- and are a pretty good value (esp. if compared to paying MSRP for a G1), but the G1 tires are so much nicer that I constantly find myself missing the G1 tires when I'm using the GKs. Especially on pavement. Recently I tried to force myself to use the GKs for a week, but I got a weird big puncture right in the middle of the tire (maybe I rode over a nail or something), so that tire is done & I'm not tempted to buy another GK. I haven't found a huge difference traction-wise between the GKs and the G1s, but I suspect the GKs bite better in a hard turn. Running the G1s at lower pressure, though provides nice traction. The GKs at similarly low pressure just feel like slogs.

The issues described here were really weird -- and hopefully an anomaly. I've gone through 4 or 5 G1 tires now with no issues -- no blowouts. I run them low pressure, though. The G1s are great for me on mixed surfaces at 28/32 psi (~180lbs). I'm using a set of Compass BJPs now on my commuter which are definitely a lot suppler and at least feel like they roll faster, but I wouldn't do any real off-road riding on these on account of their reputation for fragility. G1s on the other hand, I'm happy to blast on singletrack or whatever.
Old 10-16-17, 03:39 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by pushstart
Just thought I would throw out my +1 for G-One tires. I've spent a fair bit of time on 40mm ("700x38") G-One Allround and a lot less time on Panaracer GravelKing SK 43mm. The GravelKings aren't bad tires -- and are a pretty good value (esp. if compared to paying MSRP for a G1), but the G1 tires are so much nicer that I constantly find myself missing the G1 tires when I'm using the GKs.
Why is that?
supple ride?
faster rolling?
better on pavement?
Similar off road?
Accelerate better?

Schwalbe makes some good stuff, that is for sure.
Old 10-16-17, 07:11 PM
pushstart

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Why is that?
supple ride?
faster rolling?
better on pavement?
Similar off road?
Accelerate better?

Schwalbe makes some good stuff, that is for sure.
Yeah, as I mentioned, the primary place the Schwalbes are better is on pavement. I.e. they roll much faster on pavement. Sorry if that was not clear.

They are also a more supple tire, yes. This is why (I would assume) you can lower the pressure and they still feel reasonably fast. That was not my experience with the GKs.

But to be clear, I don't think the GK is a bad tire. If I was doing a ride that was predominantly off-road, I'd consider these. But for mixed surface, the G1 has simply been the better tire for me. Zero flats through several sets of tires raced them at Monster Cross and they were even great at Hilly Billy Roubaix, despite a fair bit of mud.
Old 10-17-17, 09:32 AM
chas58

Thanks tyson. I also do a fair amount of mixed surfaces with pavement riding so I wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying. pavement performance is important. I appreciate the feedback. :-)
Old 10-17-17, 11:05 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Update: Schwalbe was very good about the warranty and are shipping two tires today.

-Tim-
Old 10-17-17, 11:31 AM
shoota 

Update: Schwalbe was very good about the warranty and are shipping two tires today.

-Tim-
Lucky. I still want to try these tires at some point. I think they would be great for what I'm looking for. Glad you got it sorted.
Old 10-23-17, 03:26 AM
plohnes

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tim, how did you make it with Schwalbe? I just blew a 40mm G1 off a brand new American Classic 27.5 MTB race rim. Same profile as the 29. I easily mounted a Terrene Elwood and WTB Resolute on the same rim, so clearly an issue with the G1. Problem i have is the Resolute measures 44mm on those rims and leaves me only 2mm or so per side on the chainstays. Was really hopeful to find a 40mm tire with a small tread, but guess the G1 is out. I think Clement has some 650 MSO's coming so likely will have to wait. Might try the smooth Gravelking. BTW, the Elwood is a magnificent tire at 47mm.
Old 10-23-17, 06:58 AM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
schwalbe 38 g ones

I have been running 700X38 Schwlabe G ones tubless with sealant on my gravel bike for the last year and absolutely love them. Great tires that roll fast and handle gravel well. Have about 1200 miles of ozark gravel on them and have never had a flat. Looks like the OP got a bad set of tires.

Mine mounted and sealed tubeless very easily. Used Stans sealant and put them on Oval (fuji) branded alloy disc wheels, which I sealed with stans tape. Ive found they run best on gravel at low pressures 42/40 PSI. It helps smooth out our rough gravel. I have several freinds that run the same tire on our gravel and we have all had great results with the tire on gravel. I would strongly encourage people to buy and use this tire for gravel riding and not be scared by this unusual bad tire of the Op.

On the other hand I first bought Panaracer sk Gravel kings for this bike 32X700 and mounted them tubeless, which the factory confirmed where suitable to run tubless. Sorry, the tire never did seal and sealant oozed through the sidewalls and they would deflate in several days. I would not buy panaracer gravel kings unless they have made changes in their tires.
Old 10-23-17, 06:59 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by plohnes
Tim, how did you make it with Schwalbe? I just blew a 40mm G1 off a brand new American Classic 27.5 MTB race rim. Same profile as the 29. I easily mounted a Terrene Elwood and WTB Resolute on the same rim, so clearly an issue with the G1. Problem i have is the Resolute measures 44mm on those rims and leaves me only 2mm or so per side on the chainstays. Was really hopeful to find a 40mm tire with a small tread, but guess the G1 is out. I think Clement has some 650 MSO's coming so likely will have to wait. Might try the smooth Gravelking. BTW, the Elwood is a magnificent tire at 47mm.

Re red/bold, this is very interesting. There is clearly an issue with these tires or with the way this particular tire and rim interface.

I'd urge you to contact Schwalbe. Mark Read <m.read@schwalbetires.com> is in the warranty department and Andrew Batchelar <a.batchelar@schwalbetires.com> is customer service. Andrew is probably your best bet first.

My replacement tires arrived from Scwhalbe and I'm almost tempted to put them on but promised to send them to a BF member to try out. right now I'm running the 35's and they are rock solid.

-Tim-
Old 10-23-17, 10:50 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Jackmen

On the other hand I first bought Panaracer sk Gravel kings for this bike 32X700 and mounted them tubeless, which the factory confirmed where suitable to run tubless. Sorry, the tire never did seal and sealant oozed through the sidewalls and they would deflate in several days. I would not buy panaracer gravel kings unless they have made changes in their tires.
You clearly had some kind of problem going on. There are thousands upon thousands of GKs set up tubeless just fine.
Old 10-24-17, 07:45 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by plohnes
Ouch, that hurts. What pressure are you using?

The engineer in me wonders why it happened. Did you check that the bead sat on the rim as you first inflated it? I've had problems like that with tubes, where the hook didn't seat against the rim, and the tube blew through. Makes quite a bang. With tubeless, it can be even touchier to get the hook and bead to seat - some tires I have to line with soap to get the rubber to slide away from the wheel enough that the bead can set against the rim.

I'm not sure we really have good consistent standards for tubeless that all wheel & tire manufacturers are following...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.