Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Show us your transportation bikes!

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Show us your transportation bikes!

Old 01-24-18, 04:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I posted this in another thread, but I guess it belongs here:

For everyone who commutes, lives car-free, tows a trailer, camps ... whatever ... I have a friend who did an across-America tour for the American Cancer Society towing This rig. Over 500 pounds, including a full portable electric performing rig because he is a musician and raised cash along the way by giving impromptu concerts.

He knows nothing about bikes and I am certain he bought whatever Walmart special was on sale ... but he did get low gearing. He did a lot of learning about trailers—eventually, through his repeated correspondences and product reviews, the company is releasing a double-axle model.

His comment on that: “Should also mention that the trailer is manufactured by Bikes At Work, in Ames, Iowa. At the time it was their heavyweight model, but now they're making a dually axle that is twice as stout, due to my suggesting it whilst waiting for parts delivery in Fort Worth, Texas.

“Up until then, they hadn't envisioned somebody wanting to pull a quarter ton with a bicycle.”

This guy toured across the U.S. and through California and them back ... puling more than most people could fit in their cars.

He isn’t a “cyclist,” though. He is a musician who wanted to work for a good cause. Probably close to 8,000 miles with no lycra, no spandex, no gear with a logo except his music gear.
That looks pretty full. But 500 pounds is impressive without assist. I hit heavy loads from time to time, but really start hurting around 200 to 300 pounds, and really slow down at about 500 lbs. And even small hills can be killers.

I'm actually thinking of building a heavy hauler upright trike just for the hills.

Any idea of the average miles a day?
Old 01-24-18, 04:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
Ok,

I've posted this elsewhere, but here is a milling machine coming home. Two loads, two bikes. What I will say is that the Mill was HEAVY!!! I got passed by a couple of joggers bringing home the table.

Does this count as bringing home a 4x8 sheet of plywood?