Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Buying New Hybrid Giant Bike Roam1, Roam 2 or Toughroad SLR

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Buying New Hybrid Giant Bike Roam1, Roam 2 or Toughroad SLR

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 05:29 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacoloco1966
hi there..I just got a 2017 SLR2 and I like it a lot...I will keep the stock tires for now and when the time comes I will get
Schwalbe tires...one thing I would like is a kickstand...I looked in the forums and some people found alternatives...Giant doesn't make a kickstand for the ToughRoad? maybe I missed the info...what do you recommend?
I also got some Ergon grips, a mirror, a back rack and I need a bike bell...maybe I will go for a Crane Suzu...
if someone knows of a kickstand that would be nice. nothing fancy.
thanks
I will ride it more soon!
E

I'm going to attach a photo of the exact kickstand I use for my Toughroad and I'll even link where I got it from, but I suspect you should be able to source it locally.

Make sure you don't go crazy and screw in the bolts too hard, the chainstay of the Toughroad just in front of the disc brakes seems plenty thick, but you still don't want to be clamping with excessive force.

Even though they have "rubberised clamping", I still put in some old bits of tube to protect the paintwork and it did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kickstand 0.jpg (79.4 KB, 96 views)
Kickstand 1.jpg (62.4 KB, 94 views)
Old 02-20-18, 03:37 PM
SamBike

Bikes: Giant Roam 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toughroad SLR1 weight without panniers and rack

Anyone weighed the Toughroad SLR 1 without the panniers and rack fitted to the bike.
Thanks.
Old 02-20-18, 06:43 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by SamBike
Anyone weighed the Toughroad SLR 1 without the panniers and rack fitted to the bike.
Thanks.
Hope someone has better numbers than I do. but when I shopped the bike I lifted the Giant Escape and the SLR 1 and the SLR 1 felt quite a bit lighter. I don't recall if it had the rack on, though

Toughroad has a lighter aluminum frame (giant calls it auxx SLR as opposed to their cheaper bikes without the "SLR"" in the frame material name).

The SLR 1 has better components than the Escape, sure, but also wider tires, so the difference in weight is even more impressive.
Old 04-22-18, 01:31 PM
Merrimac

Bikes: Road, carbon, 32mm tires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SamBike
Thanks.
For comparison, I have the 2018 Toughroad SLR GX 0, size M/L, flared drop bars. With fenders, a pouch, bottle cage, and pump it weighs 25 pounds. Tires are 700 X 38 tubeless.

Because of steep hills here, I swapped out the 42-tooth large gear for the 46, which is the maximum possible.

One minor issue with the Toughroad's D-shaped (D-Fuse) seat post is that you have to tighten it much more than with round posts. Mine slipped down two inches on a bumpy trail recently. I thought I'd tightened it sufficiently, but obviously I hadn't. It is hard to do with fingers and a small hex wrench. Giant says the D-shape is effective in helping to dampen vibrations—but I'll just have to take their word for it. I can say, for a bike without suspension, it is surprisingly smooth. No regrets, so far.
Attached Images
Toughroad.jpg (473.9 KB, 45 views)