Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ride every pedal stroke of the way or use buses sometimes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ride every pedal stroke of the way or use buses sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 09:36 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Real cyclists don't take ferries:

Actually, I love taking ferries. You can just roll on most of them and they offer a different perspective than the road. I've never taken the bus, train or plane in the middle of a tour, mostly because they're a hassle and never had to. I did hitchhike when a cancelled ferry meant an extra 500km down the windy west coast of Newfoundland. I also walked a trail and had my bike shipped by boat at the other trailhead. I'm out there to enjoy myself.

Old 12-22-17, 12:53 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Where does the spruce rail trail begin? I'm planning Vancouver BC to Vancouver WA this summer along the 101.
First, look up the Olympic Discovery Trail. It's a beautiful, well maintained and very lightly trafficked rail trail that's expanded past the old rail lines. I think it goes from Port Townsend all the way to the mouth of the Quilleute River. Outside of the cities, very lightly trafficked. Lots of stealth camping opportunities(granted, the entire peninsula could be described that way). You can probably use it for the entire northern leg of the peninsula.

Second, are you going around the peninsula? Because if you're going more direct, I don't know how rideable the eastern edge is. My fuzzy recollection is that it isn't very good for cyclists. But I've only ridden it once or twice in the dark, in bad weather(when I couldn't cross the hood canal bridge due to wind).

Edit: I found it! But wouldn't the E beach road and Camp David connector Rd's be as sketchy as 101?
No, not even a little bit. 101 is absolutely fine to ride. Except the ~9 miles on Lake Crescent.(and maybe the East leg) But on the lake, there is no shoulder, no visibility, and lots of log trucks barreling around 30 mph curves at 45 and/or rented RVs whose driving you also can't trust.

East Beach has absolutely minimal traffic compared to 101, even in tourist season. It is pretty wide, with better visibility and slower drivers. Not to mention much better pavement. Yeah, parts of it are only 1.75 lanes, but that means people drive slower because of it. I've never been scared to ride East Beach.

Camp David Jr Rd has maybe 20 houses and the camp on it. With a speed limit of 25 or something. Absolutely no issues. Just not much traffic, and the road itself is almost perfectly straight and level.

But look at the map again-you don't even need to get on Camp David Jr. Rd. The Spruce RR Trail connects with the Olympic Discovery Trail. It keeps going for quite some time as a divided trail separate from the 101.

It's entirely possible Olympic Hot Springs Rd will be closed to vehicular traffic(road keeps flooding/washing out), which means you have the road to yourself and can ride ride up to the hot springs there, and probably have them to yourself. If you go to the Sol Duc Hot Springs, message me. I can hook you up.

Last edited by Sullalto; 12-22-17 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-22-17, 01:42 AM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
Unless you're on the bus, don't ride 101 on lake crescent. The spruce railroad trail is perfectly navigable on a road bike. It's listed as a MTB trail, but it's as tame as can be. Most of it is paved or gravel now anyway. The entire thing might be by next summer.

Olympic Discovery Trail has been expanded, it's completely separate from the highway from Port Townsend to Port Angeles and beyond, just about. Lovely new pavement around discovery bay.

Honestly there isn't much beyond the state maps. Just aren't that many roads out here, as I'm sure you know. Maybe get maps from the forest service?

No suggestions, sorry. I just ride around Lake Quinault a lot when I'm working in the area. Or suffer through some forest service roads because I'm in terrible shape.

Yeah, the Olympic Peninsula is probably the most isolated stretch of beaches on the US Pacific coast. I'm astounded at how empty the Peninsula is in general.

Where's the 300ft ladder?
If you walk from Oil City to Neah Bay, you will pull yourself up ropes and rope ladders of various size and shape. Ok I did not measure them, 300 feet could be an over estimate. This is something a person should do in their life. As far as I know, the last wild indians lived in Ozette, until 1933. I was lucky enough to spend a couple of days talking to an 83 year old women who lived there until she was 13. There is a 1933 story about her in the Seattle times, Wild Indians in Seattle.

Lake Quilnault is a good ride, lots of waterfalls to photograph.

https://olympicdiscoverytrail.org/

Some do not agree,
It should be clear that I like the western side of the olympic peninsula best,

Some times it could be good to get off your bike and walk a spell.
Can you guess why I have a $40 cantilever brake bike?

Last edited by chrisx; 12-22-17 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-25-17, 06:08 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like how there are pages and pages of opinions after the first few people effectively answered it.
Old 12-28-17, 12:48 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I don't hitchhike but I do rent vehicles. It doesn't matter to me. Whatever it takes to get where I want to go. There's no hierarchy of acceptable-ness. *lol*

I never thought of that one! thank you! like by the time I go north though eastern Kansas to Lincoln Nebraska, I may have had enough and will just rent a car to the west side of Nebraska I mean 10,000 plus miles will still be 10,000+ miles in the USA just a few less of the same oh same oh. (even in a car, crossing Nebraska East-west or west-east is yawn!!!! lol)
Old 12-28-17, 03:34 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval

(even in a car, crossing Nebraska East-west or west-east is yawn!!!! lol)
western Nebraska has it's own charms. Try Highway 2 thru the Sandhills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wrigley chattonooga 151.jpg (837.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 12-28-17, 04:39 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
As far as bragging rights go, I prefer to talk about places I've been and people I've met than claim I rode NYC to San Francisco.
I don't care about others bragging rights, and I presume they don't care about mine. I do what I enjoy, not what I think others will be impressed with.
Old 12-28-17, 05:39 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think it can cut both ways.

In the best sense we could hope to be a mutual aid type society that encourages each other to get out there and do stuff. One of the hurdles the average joe faces is not being sure they can do a big trip, so when the average joe posts about one they might say "so can I". For example, I would not have ever thought of touring Iceland if I had not read about it here.
Old 12-28-17, 08:24 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I think it can cut both ways.

In the best sense we could hope to be a mutual aid type society that encourages each other to get out there and do stuff. One of the hurdles the average joe faces is not being sure they can do a big trip, so when the average joe posts about one they might say "so can I". For example, I would not have ever thought of touring Iceland if I had not read about it here.
Sure, but I don't consider that any sort of bragging rights. I do enjoy hearing about other folks adventures, but if it turns out that they ride twice the daily distance as me or went for four months to my week and a half, I'm not comparing any of that to my own accomplishments, nor do I have any desire to push the fact that they did something like a bike and barge when mine was "tougher".
Old 12-28-17, 09:41 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Agreed.

I was quite involved in climbing when I was younger and it can be pretty competitive, even when people claim it isn't. After nearly killing myself a number of times I finally got pissed off (at myself) and dropped out of the scene and began solo climbing instead; downgrading the technical level and thus becoming non relevant but regaining that sense of doing what I wanted instead of what was "cool". That opened up a lot of years of being happily in tune with the mountains instead of the yo-yoing emotions of victory and frustration.

Same with bike touring. I look at maps for hours and hours trying to make aesthetic lines appear and my imagination gets fired up wondering what it would be like to ride them in a particular style or fashion. Of all those ideas I try to settle on a couple that will fit into my holiday schedule for the next year or so and then I plot my course accordingly. The satisfaction is not in comparing myself to others but rather being able to conceptualize, plan and carry out an idea. For me that is very rewarding but it's not something that can be compared to someone else's trip.

A married guy with kids has different parameters than a single guy, a blue collar worker than someone who can take sabbaticals, old guy compared to young, well off compared to poor etc...

I can appreciate the efforts of others but am pretty secure in my own abilities and the little goals I set for myself. The challenge is not against others but against the inertia of my own self doubt.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-28-17 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 09:22 AM
samanthadavies

Bikes: cervelo s3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been living without a car for 26 years and i'm fine so far. I either ride or take public transport - lucky i live in a city with a great public transport system.
Old 02-23-18, 04:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by samanthadavies
I've been living without a car for 26 years and i'm fine so far. I either ride or take public transport - lucky i live in a city with a great public transport system.
So ... is that what you do when you're on a cycling tour too?

How have you found the public transportation systems in other cities? Have they allowed you to take your touring bicycle on board? Which other cities have you visited?

Old 02-23-18, 02:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Inner Hebrides Islands off the west coast of southern Scotland is served by Caledonian Macb***** ferries, https://www.calmac.co.uk/

they had an Island Hopper deal .. leave from Ardrossan , and after a few days, you land back at the port of Oban ...

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-23-18 at 02:29 PM.