Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you use the indoor trainer today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 07:41 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

It's -6 Fahrenheit this morning. I'm perfectly willing to ride outdoors during winter, but not in this weather.

I'll be the first to admit that riding a trainer or stationary bike indoors is never going to be a replacement for riding outdoors on a nice day. However, cycling indoors has its advantages;

Weather independence
Safety
Fitness improvements
Efficient use of time

Who else is using the trainer? Tell us what your indoor routine is like. Do you train at home or at a club or bike shop? How often a month do you train? What are your goals? What hardware do you use? Are you using an App, such as Zwift?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-01-18 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-01-18, 08:01 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
For the first time in around 3 years, I dusted off my trainer yesterday. Just too cold along with a light snow that added to the crash risk. With the forecast for the next couple of weeks, I expect I'll use it at least a few more times. Road just under an hour ... can't say I enjoy indoor riding but, at this stage of life (64 years old), don't want to let too many days slip by without riding as it gets harder to get back in shape! Dang, this has been a cold start to the winter season :-(
Old 01-01-18, 08:42 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Minus 9 here in the western suburbs of Chicago. No hope of even seeing the 20's until next Sunday when I plan to get outside on my bike again.

I'll be heading to my fitness center to ride on the stationary bike. I used to own a trainer but no longer have a good place in my house to use it. Indoor minutes just seem to be so much longer than outdoor minutes so a trainer just isn't a good investment for me to make.
Old 01-01-18, 09:42 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
For the first time in around 3 years, I dusted off my trainer yesterday. Just too cold along with a light snow that added to the crash risk. With the forecast for the next couple of weeks, I expect I'll use it at least a few more times. Road just under an hour ... can't say I enjoy indoor riding but, at this stage of life (64 years old), don't want to let too many days slip by without riding as it gets harder to get back in shape! Dang, this has been a cold start to the winter season :-(
Welcome to Bikeforums!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-01-18, 09:52 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
-10 this morning and no will not be going out have been living on the indoor trainer. I go out when most people do not but this is way too cold and any ice it a no no. Broke my hip 2 years ago hitting ice patch I fear ice any at or slick conditions.
Old 01-01-18, 10:03 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Welcome to Bikeforums!
Thanks! Been lurking for a while but just posted for the first time!
Old 01-01-18, 10:16 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Who else is using the trainer? Tell us what your indoor routine is like. Do you train at home or at a club or bike shop? How often a month do you train? What are your goals? What hardware do you use? Are you using an App, such as Zwift?
I don't get home until late tomorrow, but I would be on the trainer(Kickr) with Zwift if I were home.

I can't stand the machines at the gym - I call that "chasing the orange dot". Not only is it mind-numbingly boring, but the seats they put on those machines are most uncomfortable, and usually after about 30 minutes I can't stand sitting any longer.

Once I get into a routine, it is usually a couple of times a week - weekdays is usually 30-45 min. A weekend ride is usually a couple of hours. I try and incorporate hill and mountain climbing - I think my next goal is to climb the radio tower.
Old 01-01-18, 10:29 AM
mightymax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
For years, I used to ride up until about Thanksgiving then go indoors for the winter and use the training stand. Then about 4 years ago, I pushed myself to Winter ride and now ride outdoors all year, weather permitting. Well since it is going on two weeks now that the temperature outside is crazy cold. I cleaned and lubed up the old trainer and put a bike on it. I ride it a couple of miles here and there only because I find it to be excrutiatingly boring! So yes I use an indoor trainer but no I don't use it for any appreciable amount of time!
God I want it to get to 20 degrees so I can get outdoors!

Max Bryant
Old 01-01-18, 11:18 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mightymax
Well since it is going on two weeks now that the temperature outside is crazy cold. I cleaned and lubed up the old trainer and put a bike on it. I ride it a couple of miles here and there only because I find it to be excrutiatingly boring!
For me Zwift is a game-changer. I never even contemplated getting a trainer until I saw a setup in a LBS this past summer. I immediately got the concept, and started planning for it.

It kind of started a few years back - I was in the gym and they had these machines that were sort of like a mountain bike with a virtual-reality type of thing on the screen. The machines had their issues, but I actually got stoked about riding it. Eventually I completed all 80 levels in the thing, the machine ran the credits of all of the people who worked on it, and it lost the magic. The gym never maintained the machines very well, and eventually they took them out as few people seemed to ride them (if they had maintained them, more people might have ridden them). Long story short, it was my experience with these other machines that got me to quickly appreciate what Zwift was doing.
Old 01-01-18, 11:27 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Never!!!
Old 01-01-18, 11:27 AM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every single day and loving it (Zwift+KickR). Best purchase of 2017!

I do look forward to temperature forecasts that do not start with a "-", "0", or "1", so I can ride outside again.
Old 01-01-18, 02:25 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
-25c to -34c for the last 2 weeks and this week is not much better . I will stay with the trainer till April .
Old 01-01-18, 02:48 PM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Smart trainer, laptop, big screen with Zwift or TrainerRoad. I don't really mind the indoor training as it can be keyed to a very structured workout. That said, I can only endure about 90min mentally. No traffic, no stoplights and no coasting.
Old 01-01-18, 03:13 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 709 Posts
I'm proud to say I have never used a trainer in my life. There is simply nothing that I ride a bike for that can happen indoors on a stationary device.

If the weather isn't conducive to riding outdoors I figure that's the universe's way of telling me to do something else.
Old 01-01-18, 03:26 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Put the road bike on the trainer last week in the Living Room now that the daytime temps are in the bitter cold 20s and teens. I just log onto YouTube on my tablet, set the tablet on the center of my handlebars, and enjoy the fun company of a group of good looking young French guys riding the French countryside while a "trainer" tells me when to warm up, and when to push by displaying bars of varying levels of intensity. Inside of 10 minutes I'm working up a sweat, but enjoying immensely the route, the other riders, the thumping music, and the ride.

I do my riding at 8pm every night with the French guys while hubby is in the Family Room watching his favorite primetime tv shows.
Old 01-01-18, 03:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
I basically gave up on the indoor trainer years ago. Now I use a rowing machine. The legs still get some work, but it also helps with the core and back, which I feel is important, since they don't get any help during the season.

BTW- no claim that this is scientific, just that it seems to work for me.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-01-18, 06:54 PM
sempre1

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre xr1/ Wilier Cento1air/Giant trc adv 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mapeiboy
-25c to -34c for the last 2 weeks and this week is not much better . I will stay with the trainer till April .
Every day for me. Same here way too cold till April, i find hard to pedal the first 15/20 minutes indoor but after that i'm ok.
Old 01-01-18, 08:08 PM
derf36

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sure did.

I ride indoors on my trainer from late October until late March.

I'm a TrainerRoad junkie and ride three times per week, for a total of 3-3.5 hours/week. It helps me start my outdoor riding season with pretty good fitness. It's weird because I more than double my weekly ride time once I get outdoors, but I have a sense my fitness erodes slightly through the summer, then improves again during the winter on the trainer.

I've come to realize that inside is training, outside is riding. Both are good, but different.

This year I'm thinking I'll try to do at least one indoor workout throughout the summer
Old 01-01-18, 11:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yes. 45' on my resistance rollers, wife and stoker on her trainer. We did 20' of FastPedal, the rest zone 1. I was a little slow on the cadence, only 112 at a 118 HR because I rode hard with my droogs yesterday. Why indoors? Because we can't do either of those things outdoors, either the zone 1 or the FastPedal due to lack of uninterrupted flat. Besides, it's so simple and so fun to do stuff like this indoors. We do the indoor FastPedal workout year 'round. Tomorrow is lift skiing and then weight lifting in the gym between skiing and dinner.

We turn on the heat out in the shop and get it up to between 50° and 55°, perfect indoor temperature once we add box fans.
Old 01-02-18, 12:42 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I rarely do joy rides from Thanksgiving until after New Years simply because our motorists, marginal at the best of times, are positively horrid during that time of year. Most years, that means setting up rollers (mine have air resistance) and riding those for an hour or two before hitting the weights.

The past three years, I've managed to contract some nasty respiratory tract infections that have had me down and out for a month or more at a time. This year's version pretty much wiped out my roller season. Should I just be thankful and get out on the road?

Maybe next time, but I actually enjoy rollers and am looking forward to getting on them tomorrow. Besides, I need the weight work. Since I live in a location with a very mild climate, my rollers are set up outside under a rain shelter with a decent view. It's also a good excuse to listen to some programs that I enjoy but rarely make the time for.
Old 01-02-18, 01:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Nope ... it's summer here. If I'm going to ride, it will be outside.
Old 01-02-18, 05:42 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Set up my new smart trainer and joined Zwift yesterday. I had already been to the gym, so today may be my first ride.
Old 01-03-18, 08:15 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Living in Florida, we seldom need a trainer unless we are having an unusually cold winter or using it for/during rehab. The last extremely cold winter that I can remember, where I couldn't ride outdoors for most of the season, was in 2010. However, this year hasn't started off very well and it looks like we're going to have really crappy weather for another week or so. This week, they are forecasting snow up in North Florida and the panhandle. Looks as if I'm going to have to break out the trainer during that time period or until this cold snap leaves us alone.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-03-18, 12:05 PM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Single digits for the last couple of weeks, 6-10" of snow expected this evening, so I have been gettin on the rollers 1-2 times per week (and 2-3 spin classes per week) to supplement my speed skate training.
Old 01-03-18, 01:06 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Weather has made it difficult to ride outdoors much so started back at the gym a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't until I'd been on the indoor bike for about 30 mins that it finally came back to me how mind-numbingly boring it is. Tried it a couple of times more before deciding that if I can't ride outdoors I won't ride. If I have to exercise indoors then I vary the cardio work between rowing machines and cross-trainers, plus weights (my old knees won't let me run).

If I was competing in races I would probably stick with the indoor bikes as they are definitely good training and strength-building for outdoors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.