Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you use the indoor trainer today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 04:40 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Yes, another around London. As others have said, Zwift and a smart trainer is a game changer for indoor riding. It's no longer a death sentence for me. I've taken five rides on Zwift so far and I like it. Going for a two hour ride Saturday.
Old 01-11-18, 05:46 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Zwift London. Group training ride.
Old 01-11-18, 06:49 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Five times a week. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Got my tablet mounted to handle bars and use GCN's videos.KB.
Old 01-11-18, 09:59 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I did an FTP builder workout in London on Zwift today. Nice doing speed work with other riders to work with. Indoor riding has sure come a long way from Spinnervals on the fluid trainer to training in ERG mode on the Tacx Neo.
Yes winter in the northeast still sucks just not as much.
Old 01-12-18, 04:28 AM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, Winter does not seem so bad now that I can ride whenever I want. KickR was best purchase of 2017!

Did not really feel it yesterday and rode about 28 miles. The cleat change I made days ago, while helping my cadence, has rendered my Cambium 17 seat un-rideable due to the now constant rubber creaking. "C-17" stands for "Creak Seventeen". What a shame... a century seat that I can no longer enjoy using. Any adjustments I try only ruin my hand pressure as my seat position is spot on. I've tried all I know to stop the creaking and internet says the same exact thing. It will be loud music until I find another seat I can go far on. Will also move my Sutra onto the KickR to complete upgrades to the Wheelhouse. B-17 is nice and quiet!

Don't forget that all of us that ride a lot this winter will need new chains.
Old 01-12-18, 01:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Just an hour of VT1 on the rollers. It starts to get old at about 50 minutes. Always a little harder than I remember it being. Out on the road around here, one never does exactly the same thing for more than a couple minutes.
Old 01-13-18, 01:59 PM
everyman07

Bikes: Multiple Rixes, DaVinci in2ition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did about 10 miles on the Madonna del Ghisallo, then hopped over to the Rheinradveg for a long cool down - and never left Pennsylvania!

I know a lot of guys are into the Zwift thing but I don't like the video game look. I use a Tacx Neo with the Tacx Real Life Videos which lets you ride some of the most scenic routes out there.
Old 01-14-18, 06:16 AM
PaddleFoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyman07,

Are the videos shaky? I did try looking into the video route as a change of pace, but I simply cannot watch a shaky video and I did not see a way to demo it. For me, Zwift is kind of like a white noise and the fact that I might encounter a friend keeps it dynamic. I saw my first celebrity - Romain Grosjean rode by as I was stopped on a hill side. Formula 1 is the only sport I follow, other than cycling now.

I finished the week at over 300 miles. Wow(!). I took my Wheelhouse off the KickR and put the Sutra on. I still have two weeks before upgrade parts arrive but the WH chain is toast. I will never wash the original lube out of a chain ever again. The Sutra is so smooth and a joy to ride. Cleat position rule "all the way back' has been debunked for me. No trouble at all doing up to 100 rpm.

Last edited by PaddleFoot; 01-14-18 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-14-18, 11:31 AM
everyman07

Bikes: Multiple Rixes, DaVinci in2ition

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaddleFoot
Hi everyman07,

Are the videos shaky?
The Tacx films are pretty stable. I think many of them are shot from a car/specialty vehicle. Other ones that work with the Tacx software like RealLifeVideos (dot) de can be a little bumpy from time to time but are mostly pretty smooth. Some of the RealLifeVideos that are more gravel/mountain bike oriented get kind of shaky - too much so for my taste.

The Tacx films are the best I've found so far. Good camera work. Excellent choice and variety of locations.

A lot of folks like VeloReality. I didn't like the interface as much and already paid for the Tacx software. The nice thing about VeloReality is you don't pay for software just the videos.

All are way better than the old watching YouTube while biking which was so shaky I couldn't do it and if you have a smart trainer it gets harder (uphill) and easier (down) with the film.

Last edited by everyman07; 01-14-18 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 01-14-18, 11:38 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It's been in the single digits around here, then warm so that snow began to melt, then cold again with large perilous,frozen areas to slip and slid on. So I mounted the bike on the trainer two days ago and yep, I hated it just as I did last year. Did 5 minutes yesterday and this morning and trying to work up to 6 minutes.
Old 01-15-18, 05:05 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I had some geeky fun with my Rouvy App on my iPad and my Tacx Flux trainer.

Rouvy will use a virtual route as a training session and will provide road routes from numerous locations famous for cycling. In addition, the App allows a route to be uploaded from Garmin and other GPS powered devices. I uploaded several routes I had personality ridden in 2017. These included gravel event rides with dozens of steep climbs.

When using the GPS routes on Rouvy while training, the route is displayed on a map and the slope is displayed in percent along with heart-rate, speed, power in watts and distance.

These features really make the time on the trainer entertaining and my fitness is improving during winter time.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-15-18 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 03:17 PM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
5 degrees F and ice covered roads this morning so Zwifting around London sounded pretty good, finally getting back into it after hernia repair surgery about 5-1/2 weeks ago.

https://www.strava.com/activities/13...774eb6dceebbb9
Old 01-17-18, 01:18 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
The Wahoo Kickr with Zwift has been a game changer for me. I've always been just a grinder.... but with Zwift I've learnt to cycle harder and faster. My regular cycling partner noticed the improvement in my cycling fitness and strength. I have noticed it too. I'm an indoor cycling convert 100% now.

Even though I live 50 metres from really good cycling bike paths that doesn't mean you can cycle when you like. The Kickr lets me ride 24/7 with the intensity that's good for my fitness.

Last edited by Machoman121; 01-17-18 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 03:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Nope. Much too much trainer riding lately. Today was a lovely day, so I rode outside.
Old 01-17-18, 04:00 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Was finally convinced by my buddy to give Zwift a try.....it nearly killed me!!!!

I so underestimated it. After 10 miles I was gasping for air and legs were like jelly. Had to stop. I've done another 10 miles since, which was a bit better. Think it will improve my fitness and cardio no end! So, 10 miles every night for me while weather bad....
Old 01-17-18, 10:54 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I have a Fuji Supreme that does permanent duty on a trainer in the basement. I climbed on for the first time this winter and watched a couple of episodes of the Simpsons I've been saving up. I'll ride a couple of times a week when I don't feel like going outside. I do have a fatbike and a Nishiki with 32mm studs for the winter so I can pretty much do whatever I think I have time for. If I only have 30 minutes or so, it's a lot easier to jump on the trainer.
Old 01-19-18, 03:44 AM
PaddleFoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is funny, Gerry221!

Be sure to calibrate your power source properly and experiment with gradient to affect your pedaling.

Take a look at technology in the world today and you will see that smart trainers are the future for the winter months. A true game changer for me. I am on a reduced mileage week, but I still ride for enjoyment and I am at 800 miles for the month. Possible outdoor ride today, but only if safe.
Old 01-19-18, 05:06 AM
Tajue17

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what are some of the nicer trainers and are there styles better than others,,, like say the roller versions were the bike is free standing "while pedaling" or the ones that lock in?
Old 01-19-18, 07:20 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Tajue17
what are some of the nicer trainers and are there styles better than others,,, like say the roller versions were the bike is free standing "while pedaling" or the ones that lock in?
The first question is, do you want/need a smart trainer (where the computer can control the resistance)? Very nice for Zwift/TrainerRoad/Sufferfest. If you are just watching TV while riding, then it probably doesn't matter.
Old 01-19-18, 09:02 AM
Tajue17

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
The first question is, do you want/need a smart trainer (where the computer can control the resistance)? Very nice for Zwift/TrainerRoad/Sufferfest. If you are just watching TV while riding, then it probably doesn't matter.
don't need anything super high tech or top of the line I'm just getting some pedaling in during the single digit frigid temps,,,, I was more concerned with do I need to remove the back wheel or can I just lift the bike onto the rollers,,, is there a more popular trainer for just basic cycling.
Old 01-19-18, 09:27 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
An interesting online article: Yorkshire granddad who rides 2,500 miles a year in his shed urges people to get cycling | Calendar - ITV News
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-21-18, 10:06 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
monument.jpg by Nacho Neal, on Flickr
Yes! Even though it was a beautiful morning, I couldn't do my sunday morning hill repeats!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-21-18, 03:22 PM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Zwift Fondo this AM. That was tough.
Old 01-21-18, 05:35 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by ddub
Zwift Fondo this AM. That was tough.
I agree and I only did the Medio Glad I swapped out my cassette from a 12-25 to a 12-28 on Friday.
Old 01-21-18, 10:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Heck no! It's Sunday so we went and rode our guts out in 45° and showers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.