Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Helmet Replacement - how often>

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-18, 08:39 AM
OldFartCyclist

Location: Pasco, Washington - the brown side of the Pacific NW

Bikes: 2020 SWorks Tarmac SL6 w/ Shimano DA 9100; 2016 Lynskey R240 w/ DA 9100, 2014 SWorks Roubaix w/ DA 9100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

My Specialized road helmet is 7 years old and looks to be in great shape. How often should they be replaced?
Old 01-30-18, 08:45 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
As soon as you start to show signs of not hitting the correct keys on the keyboard, as this indicates the old Specialized road helmet is shrinking and creating traumatic brain injuries.
Old 01-30-18, 09:46 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
As soon as you start to show signs of not hitting the correct keys on the keyboard, as this indicates the old Specialized road helmet is shrinking and creating traumatic brain injuries.
You win!
Old 01-30-18, 10:38 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OldFartCyclist
My Specialized road helmet is 7 years old and looks to be in great shape. How often should they be replaced?
The studies I've seen on testing old, well-used helmets haven't shown any significant deterioration with age. But they've only tested helmets up to about 26 years old. So you might wait another 20 years and then reconsider in light of any new studies done in the interim.
Old 01-30-18, 10:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
i refuse to rid with a heknet, or any other kind of net. You won't every find me rekacing a heknet. Leave 'em in the case, I say.
Old 01-30-18, 11:37 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Points for funniest
Old 01-30-18, 03:25 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I replace mine when the pads start dissolving. I suppose I could probably find more pads, but by then it's old and out-of-style, wrong color, etc. And them things are a fashion statement as much as anything else!

The selling point on my newest one is that it's easy to attach a flasher to the back. I used to worry about being invisible from behind when I was riding in deep shade. Now I'm VERY visible. My helmet is a better mounting spot than anyplace on my bike!
Old 01-30-18, 11:03 PM
OldFartCyclist

Location: Pasco, Washington - the brown side of the Pacific NW

Bikes: 2020 SWorks Tarmac SL6 w/ Shimano DA 9100; 2016 Lynskey R240 w/ DA 9100, 2014 SWorks Roubaix w/ DA 9100

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I guess I asked for that! The helmet is in great shape, I won't vouch for the contents. Thanks for the serious answers and the humorous ones too.
Old 01-31-18, 12:39 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I see no signs of dain brammage. What was the question?
Jon
Old 01-31-18, 08:37 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 136 Posts
Wow, you can't even blame that on auto-correct.

I find it's a good idea to replace them after they crack in your latest cycling faux pas.
Old 02-01-18, 04:18 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Wow, you can't even blame that on auto-correct.

I find it's a good idea to replace them after they crack in your latest cycling faux pas.
That's what duct tape is for, isn't it?
Old 02-01-18, 05:12 AM
moth54

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
The studies I've seen on testing old, well-used helmets haven't shown any significant deterioration with age. But they've only tested helmets up to about 26 years old. So you might wait another 20 years and then reconsider in light of any new studies done in the interim.
Boy is this interesting.

I replaced a 7 year old helmet when the top plastic started to crack. My theory, unsubstantiated by any testing mind, was that if the top plastic, exposed to sun, had started to crack, then the styrofoam liner, also exposed somewhat to the sun (since the top plastic had been cracking in places for awhile) would have tiny degradations in it not apparent to me.

But now you tell me testing reveals that helmets don't deteriorate significantly, emphasis on the last word.

All I know is that the manufacturer recommendation to replace every year strikes me as well, just possibly motivated by interests of the manufacturer beyond my well being...
Old 02-01-18, 12:45 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
That's what duct tape is for, isn't it?
No, that's for the head. Apply sticky side out.
Old 02-01-18, 01:06 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by moth54
Boy is this interesting.

I replaced a 7 year old helmet when the top plastic started to crack. My theory, unsubstantiated by any testing mind, was that if the top plastic, exposed to sun, had started to crack, then the styrofoam liner, also exposed somewhat to the sun (since the top plastic had been cracking in places for awhile) would have tiny degradations in it not apparent to me.

But now you tell me testing reveals that helmets don't deteriorate significantly, emphasis on the last word.

All I know is that the manufacturer recommendation to replace every year strikes me as well, just possibly motivated by interests of the manufacturer beyond my well being...
I can narrow that down some for you. The UV deterioration is due to the helmet not being as thick as it was - nothing else, no hidden damage under that layer. The amount that they deteriorate is the thickness which that layer of yellow dust that forms on the outside represents, compared to the thickness of the helmet underneath it. So the emphasis shouldn't really be on the word "significant". The only reason it's not disregarded completely is that there IS a tiny degradation, but it's too INsignificant to be a valid concern.

To get to that point, where the outside styrofoam turns yellow and a thin layer then turns to dust, you'd really have to take the covering off and leave it out in the sun all summer.
Old 02-01-18, 01:15 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I stopped using a perfectly good helmet a couple of years ago. The manufacture date on it was a couple of years before I bought it - cheap, online - and then I used it for more than a few years.
Had to get a new one so that my stoker and I would have matching helmets. It's a tandem thing.
Old 02-01-18, 01:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Put me in the camp to upgrade for:
  • Pads wearing out, or falling off... maybe.
  • New technology such as lights.
  • Still considering new technology such as MIPS (although I haven't made that leap yet).
I do have a couple of helmets, so I don't always grab the same one as I head out the door. Some have better ventilation than others. Others have more of a "commuting" design.

Two of my helmets have integrated taillights, but none are rechargeable, so they're a pain to use with the amount of night riding I do.
Old 02-01-18, 02:01 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
For some snooty roadies maybe when the straps get salt stains on them?
Old 02-01-18, 02:38 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I stopped using a perfectly good helmet a couple of years ago. The manufacture date on it was a couple of years before I bought it - cheap, online - and then I used it for more than a few years.
Had to get a new one so that my stoker and I would have matching helmets. It's a tandem thing.
Nothing wrong with paying attention to aesthetic aspects of our sport. Though it seems trivial, I find I feel better about riding when my kit looks sharp. And that includes not wearing an old, shabby helmet whose colors have faded due to age, or exposure to UV radiation. If you are OK with a previous year's model, you can often get helmets at deeply discounted prices.

Because of my tendency to overbuy cycling gear, I always have at least 4 helmets in rotation. I keep three helmets in different color schemes for warm weather use, and a fourth for cold weather use because it is a bit bigger and can accommodate a variety of hats underneath.

As I acquire new helmets, I give the old ones away to family or friends. Because of this, to date, few helmets have stuck around my house long enough to deteriorate or get too shabby to wear.
Old 02-01-18, 03:59 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Here in the Florida sun I replace my helmet about every 3 years. Works for me.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-01-18, 06:06 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
For what it's worth...

As someone above said, studies have shown that older helmets do not deteriorate as we once thought (or were led to believe). However, last May I went down doing 18 mph when I hit a crack in the road. My Bell Ghisallo helmet was about eight years old and I thought in great shape. I don't remember hitting my head, nor did I lose consciousness. I rode about five miles home with no problem other than embarrassing and bloody road rash.

Later that night I lost consciousness twice and was dizzy when I stood up too quickly. Obviously a concussion. I looked at my helmet and there wasn't a scratch, mark or other type of imperfection on the side that would have hit the road. I had a newer second helmet, same make and model, and noticed that the foam on the inside of the "crash" helmet simply looked more dried out and just looked older.

I'm now going to replace helmets every three years. Understanding that there are no guarantees, I reason that $100 - $120 every three years ($33 - $40 a year) is worth it to me. I don't want to relearn the alphabet.
Old 02-01-18, 10:33 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Bought a used bike that came with a helmet
After a couple years found one I liked
New, More visible, on sale
#1.....matches the bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0063.jpg (806.0 KB, 294 views)
Old 02-02-18, 09:44 AM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OldFartCyclist
According to the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute the foam typically used in helmets does not deteriorate or harden over time. So I tend to keep a helmet for a good number of years. With that in mind I buy replacement pads with my helmet purchase. If new pads aren't available I won't buy that particular helmet. Seven years down the road you could be hard pressed to find replacement pads, what with all the style and "latest and greatest" changes manufacturer keep coming up with.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 02-02-18, 10:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
For some snooty roadies maybe when the straps get salt stains on them?

After every summer ride? Heck, no!!
Old 02-02-18, 10:03 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Replace? There's nae wrong with the one Ah haff!

Bell Biker.jpg

Last edited by tcs; 03-22-18 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-02-18, 10:05 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
First helmet, inner pads wore out, mfr. completely unhelpful and pads absolutely unavailable, so helmet was replaced. Lasted about 18 months.
Second helmet was some kind of bee magnet, so it was prematurely retired and given away. Wore for maybe 6 months.
Third helmet (bee proof!) bounced off the ground with my head in it, replaced. Just under 8 months.
Current helmet offers no bee protection, but fits better than any I've worn before. It should remain in service until the next catastrophe.

I will never, ever get to the point where I wonder if I should replace a helmet because it's getting old. Would be nice to get the average lifespan up over a year, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.