Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I let myself go, now I gotta pay

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 08:51 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Went through some stuff over the past year, and I kind of let myself go. Dissatisfied with how I felt on the bike by mid-summer going through my THR recovery, I basically quit riding by the end of summer. Opening a new big box store throwing my schedule out of whack also didn't help. Now I have taken on the shape of a marshmellow! I finally threw that bike onto the trainer in the garage and am getting on with the work of pounding myself back into shape. We finally have good snow cover so I can get out snowshoeing, too. It is quite a bit harder to get back into shape then it was to get out of shape!
Old 02-05-18, 09:41 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I can relate. For me it seems to come in cycles. Right now the “calories in” are greatly exceeding the calories out and fitness deteriorates faster than I can descend Mt Mitchell!!!
Old 02-06-18, 10:24 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I also can relate.

Old 02-06-18, 10:40 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Back in the good ol' days of yesteryear, I think in "Poor Richard's Almanac", the saying was -a stitch in time saves nine. So basically, nothing has changed.
Old 02-06-18, 02:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
quite a bit harder to get back into shape then it was to get out of shape!
yup, takes longer too. don't rush it. meaning, be patient with yourself & don't get discouraged. good luck
Old 02-06-18, 03:02 PM
mikeoclt

Bikes: Old like me: 2004 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1991 Stumpjumper, 1992 Trek 930, Vicious Cycles Motivator SS, Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can relate also.
At 57 getting back in to any kind of shape seems more difficult, definitely not recovering as fast.
I just got through with 2 years of traveling weekly for a project. Gained 15 lbs , lost muscle & lungs, now trying to get back in shape. It's not easy but I did enjoy rebuilding my old Stumpjumper.
Old 02-06-18, 03:48 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Hey, I wish you the best. Stick with it, stay hungry. Spring is near.
Old 02-08-18, 01:59 AM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I have had to worry about weight my entire life. Over 20 years in the military and twice a year I would sweat the weigh-ins. When the military switched over to the body-fat measurements I had to worry about weight And body-fat. I lucked out having a large thick neck measurement that always kept me a couple percent under the max. Multiple ankle injuries, running on cobblestones and through vineyards didn't help, made things even harder to maintain. Several times over my career I had to really buckle down and focus on weight loss and get back into... good shape. Various schools, promotions, and even a few marriages. Every time I was able to get it under control. When I retired I stopped getting up and exercising every morning. 20+ years out and now I am 100 lbs. over what I want to be and seem incapable this time of losing the weight. Hoping I have one more push left in me. I'd rather not have to haunt my pallbearers for joking about my heavy ass.
Old 02-08-18, 10:13 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
I have had to worry about weight my entire life. Over 20 years in the military and twice a year I would sweat the weigh-ins. When the military switched over to the body-fat measurements I had to worry about weight And body-fat. I lucked out having a large thick neck measurement that always kept me a couple percent under the max. Multiple ankle injuries, running on cobblestones and through vineyards didn't help, made things even harder to maintain. Several times over my career I had to really buckle down and focus on weight loss and get back into... good shape. Various schools, promotions, and even a few marriages. Every time I was able to get it under control. When I retired I stopped getting up and exercising every morning. 20+ years out and now I am 100 lbs. over what I want to be and seem incapable this time of losing the weight. Hoping I have one more push left in me. I'd rather not have to haunt my pallbearers for joking about my heavy ass.
I went through a program through work that helped me get ALMOST to where I wanted. I was maintaining well then had a crash. I was doing good all things considered last summer, then when the progress of recovery plateaued, I gave in. I believe I suffered a bit of depression and am just now emerging from that funk. This year looks to be much brighter. I hope you can find the encouragement and motivation to drive you to where you want to go! Good luck!
Old 02-08-18, 08:12 PM
bkentr

Bikes: yes, Bikes

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can sure relate.

It's like this every winter. And it's not just the popcorn.
Starts somewhere just before Thanksgiving.
The "extra" meals. Taste testing. Then starts the pies, a la mode, and cookies.
Then there's all the leftovers.
Then there's the "test" cookies and dishes for the upcoming Christmas.
then, right on time, comes a couple of Christmas dinners, extra pies, cookies, and now add chocolate.
Then comes the stockings hung with care, and too many sweets.

Then comes the "oh no! another 29 pounds to loose"

March is a wonderful month.
Old 02-08-18, 09:26 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
if you have the time, you can correct the situation. ride.ride.ride
Old 02-08-18, 11:03 PM
bkentr

Bikes: yes, Bikes

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding, even lots of short rides can and do help.
To really correct the situation the rides need to replace all the snack times come November,
when it's not as fun to go out.

Know that is one thing, leaving the comfort zone is another.

This year is still being written, perhaps this will be the year to break the chain.

kentr
Old 02-08-18, 11:18 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
The first to invent zero-calorie ripple chips and onion dip will have enough money to by Trek for cash. Don't know if will help but perhaps get into the idea of cold showers-- great pick-me-up.
Old 02-08-18, 11:20 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
It is quite a bit harder to get back into shape then it was to get out of shape!
True, but getting into shape can be fun project with great pay-offs. It's all about the state of mind.
Old 02-09-18, 07:28 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally relate. Was in very good shape in June 15, when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. Through that mess, most every day she'd call me with what seemed like would taste good and I would stop and get it for dinner. Of course, I'd get some, too. McDonalds, Sonic, etc, etc, etc. Plus a little barley and hops related self medication on my part. 45 pounds and a heart attack later, just now getting diet under control and appropriate, and getting the bike ready for night rides since I work most of the daylight this time of year. Not even starting with my beautifuly BMC, but getting the ol' commute bike into action (plus, I like the bulletproof tires here in the land of the goat head).

Be encouraged, you ain't alone in this journey. Hopefully you can take comfort in that. And yes, it is way easier to put it on than take it off. Were that only reversed!!!
Old 02-09-18, 08:25 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by david58
Be encouraged, you ain't alone in this journey. Hopefully you can take comfort in that. And yes, it is way easier to put it on than take it off. Were that only reversed!!!
i don't have an excellent excuse to have gotten fat ... in your situation, just that you survived is a huge testament to your personal quality.

I am in a similar situation in that I work all day, six days a week, and can only get our for short night rides. very frustrating ... but if it helps, i have seen some minor weight losses despite all that.

Congratulations for surviving your more serious trials.
Old 02-09-18, 10:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Yes, because eating is easier than exercising.