Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Suntour NEX 700c Forks - are they deathtraps?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 02-10-18, 03:10 AM
kahuamp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone.

I ve just purchased a Trek 8.2 DS, second hand, from a reputed lbs in my area.

Having done some research on the components, I have stumbled upon the issue with Suntour forks (NEX are among the models) being recalled due to risk of injury ( the bolt connecting the lowers to the uppers can break causing your front wheel to come off of your bike.)

The serial numbers on the recalled forks begins with a “K” and ends with a number between 141101 and 150127.

(I hope) I am lucky enough, as the serial on my fork is CB 120 427, so it should not be among the faulty ones.
However, this has got me thinking, and I'm a bit shy to ride my bike, for fear that the fork might break in a crucial moment. I am new to cycling, maybe that is the reason.

I have tried to contact their support team, but they are out for the weekend.

Can anyone who has the Suntour forks on their bike give me some reassurance? Should I replace my fork ASAP, just to be safe? (maybe with a fixed one)
I must mention that I will mostly ride to and from work, on a rather short distance, maybe the occasional ride through the forest on Sundays . I am aware that the fork is an entry level, cheap object, and do not intend to put the bike under extreme pressure.

I cannot post photos or links due to me being new on the forum and having less than 10 posts. So if anyone decides to reply, please no private message, as I am unable to read those either, due to the same issue.
Thank you very much for your help
Old 02-10-18, 05:36 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about. If your fork is not recalled, ride it with confidence. I also have a non-recalled NEX fork and I've put many hundreds of trouble-free miles on it.

Welcome!
Old 02-10-18, 06:20 AM
kahuamp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I don't think you have anything to worry about. If your fork is not recalled, ride it with confidence. I also have a non-recalled NEX fork and I've put many hundreds of trouble-free miles on it.

Welcome!
Thank you for a quick reply.

I've noticed that the inside steer tube is rusty. Should I clean that up? Not that I worry, but I have some spare time on my hands. Also a bad cold, so I can't ride my new old toy
Old 02-10-18, 06:53 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by kahuamp
I've noticed that the inside steer tube is rusty. Should I clean that up? Not that I worry, but I have some spare time on my hands. Also a bad cold, so I can't ride my new old toy
At most, I’d apply some rust inhibitor or other and call it a day.
Old 02-10-18, 01:11 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Just adding, I've put over 3000 miles on my NEX and still have not had any problems. The recall were for Treks and Scott bikes. Unsure if others were also recalled, which leads me to believe that the problem might have been and I might be wrong with the quick release on these bikes. The reason I say this is the fix was to replace the quick release with one with washers. Had the fork really been the problem, the new quick release with the washers would not have fixed this.

https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/Tr...ebQRNotice.pdf

But, I could be wrong on that. Just seems to me if the fork was the issue, many other manufacturers would have had to do a recall.
Old 02-10-18, 01:14 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I just reread the op posting, I might be looking at the wrong recall.
Old 02-10-18, 04:38 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Yes -- there was one with the internal extension stop, which could cause the lower section to slide off the upper section at full extension. Suntour has specific replacement parts for it to my recollection (or, they'll just replace the fork). It's applicable to a certain serial number range.
Old 02-11-18, 12:01 PM
kahuamp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your answers.

I still cannot post links due to not enough posts so I give you a copy paste of the info I had found:

"This recall involves Cannondale, Diamondback, Giant, GT, INA International, Nishiki, Schwinn, Scott and Trek brand bicycles with SR Suntour bicycle forks models M3010, M3020, M3030, NEX and XCT. The recalled forks have serial numbers in the top row beginning with "K" and ending with a number between 141101 and150127. The fork model and serial numbers are located on the back of the fork's crown. The serial number is the first row. The model number is in the second row. "SR Suntour" is printed on stickers on both sides of the fork legs. A detailed list of the specific model numbers included in the recall is on the firm's website.

Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop using bicycles with the recalled SR Suntour bicycle forks and return the bicycle to the place of purchase for a free inspection and repair.

Incidents/Injuries:
There have been 15 reports of the bolts breaking or separating from the bicycles, including two reports of minor injuries, including abrasions, cuts and bruises.

Sold At:
Bicycle stores, sports stores and mass merchandisers from November 2014 through May 2015 for between $300 and $400 for the bicycles.

Importer(s):
SR Suntour North America, of Vancouver, Wash. (bicycle forks)

Distributor(s):
SR Suntour North America, of Vancouver, Wash. (bicycle forks)

Manufactured In:
Kunshan, China

Hazard:
The bolt that attaches the upper part of the bicycle's fork to the lower part of the fork can break or separate and cause the front wheel to come off the bicycle. This is a crash hazard for riders.
Remedy:
Repair
Recall date:
June 24, 2015
Units:
About 68,000 in the United States and 33,600 in Canada ( I live in Europe, and did not find any link to EU bikes having this issue)

Last edited by kahuamp; 02-11-18 at 12:03 PM. Reason: add something
Old 02-11-18, 05:12 PM
dueWest

Bikes: Huffy Superia (US made), 2018 Giant Roam 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
I've seen various fork recalls. All the ones similar to this where the upper and lower separate are from hopping the bike.

Think about it. Even if the fork didn't have the bolt in place, the only way it can separate is to get airborne enough that the shock overextends and comes apart. Otherwise it just does its job like normal.

I almost guarantee these were likely incidents of people hopping curbs. The only way my front fork would come apart on mine is during me picking it up to load into a vehicle.

Many, if not all Suntour forks have disclaimers about jumping the bikes as well as pre-ride inspections.

Just my thoughts.