Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

29er vs CX bike with data

Old 02-21-18, 12:35 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by tablatom
Wow that is a big time gap. Maybe try bar ends on the MTB? Can you lock out the suspension on the MTB? that would make it more efficient.
Yeah, I was concerned about the overly large time gap.

I’m thinking that on the 3 hour ride, I just got exhausted carrying the extra 10 lbs of mountain bike (and heavy wheels), and ran out of steam. The CX bike is a 20lb ultegra equipped race bike, while the mountain bike is your basic big box store Diamonback bike (but with very nice tires).

To filter out any variables, I matched up 9.4 miles of exact overlap from the beginning of my ride. This compares to what is basically a $2000+ aluminum CX bike with a basic big box store $500 mtb bike running the fastest tires possible (yes, the tires totally transform that bike).

MTB bike:
41:30 time
13.6 MPH
108 watt est
147 bpm
93 rpm
CX bike
39:30 time
14.3 mph
162 watt
150 bpm
92 rpm.
MTB compared to cross
+ 2 minutes (5%)
- 0.7 mph (5%)

So yes, for gravel grinding, a CX/gravel bike is going to be pretty similar to MTB. I expect that a comparable high end MTB would minimize much of the gap I found.

Biggest differences were weight, acceleration, climbing, high speed (aero @<20mph). But for longer distance touring and a moderately steady pace - the differences are minimized (other than my endurance was better on the CX bike).

When it dries out, I want to try this with my ‘90s carbon XC race MTB (with bar ends and aerobars). That era bike is capable of doing just about anything.

Last edited by chas58; 02-21-18 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 01:58 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Make sure to run a regression analysis when you've done a few dozen trial runs in variable temperatures and road surface smoothness. We can discuss P-value choice once you have the data.

I'm with you though, slower/heavier tires are most obvious on hills and can add a significant amount of time to a given course.