Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam's Bike Graveyard

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Amsterdam's Bike Graveyard

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 05:37 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
The fact of the matter is that unless you live in a specifically bike-friendly town like PDX or SF or Ames, most people either don't write down their VIN or don't know one is on the bike! Bikes in American society are still viewed as children's toys or for the poor, so to acknowledge them as something more would, in the authorities' view, make them look ridiculous.

This post has been insightful and educational. I believe I read or was told by a Dutch that the bikes you see on the street in the Netherlands are the crappy bikes. Many own quality bikes that they keep inside and use for serious rides.
If you ride around your bike and leave it outside for long times and park it around busy areas like the train station where things will get beat up you need a simpler bike. Hence the black omafiets beaters you see everywhere.

My current daily bike is a 8-speed igh but that one is starting to wear out and replacement might be expensive. So I am contemplating getting a simpler bike (or a Brompton folder) as my next home <> station bike.
I own a couple of nicer bikes as well but those stay inside and will mostly be taken out for longer trips or vacations.

Another factor is the (especially comparatively) huge number of bike thefts. Getting your bike stolen is almost a rite of passage and if you live in Amsterdam it will probably get stolen a few times.

Country - Population - Number of bikes stolen each year
NL - 17,020,000 - 468,000 ~ 772,000
USA - 323,100,000 - 211,000

If you want a comparative relative number, that would be 8,884,300 bikes stolen each year in the US. That's 42 (!) times as often as now.
Old 12-22-17, 06:36 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
So the police are stealing those bikes.

I wonder how much effort is put into reuniting the bikes with their owners. Leave a note near where the bike was taken?
Hahaha, those Dutch should fear not and rest easy knowing several detectives are working round the clock on their behalf. Like our own local Keystone critters (150:1 traffic ticket issuers vs. bike reclaimation duty) I sleep soundly at night knowing they are on the job tracking down the whereabouts of any bike I've lost.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 12-30-17 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-24-17, 06:41 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
So the police are stealing those bikes.

I wonder how much effort is put into reuniting the bikes with their owners. Leave a note near where the bike was taken?
There are warning signs if you can't park your bike there, and if you park a wreck where it's allowed, it will get tagged with a warning. Then you have usually about two weeks to remove it or remove the tag if you want to keep it.

What percent of bike thefts are reported? If a person reports a bike was stolen, does the police automatically send them to this lot? Have records of when and where they took the bikes?
It's probably part of the city cleaning department that removes the bikes. I lost one bike this way that I know of, I lost more bikes but often because I couldn't remember where I parked them, because I had to catch a train and parked it where it wasn't allowed. I didn't bother to get it back, which I regretted later because my new used bike wasn't by far as good. But I'm sure I would have gotten it back if I bothered.
Old 12-24-17, 08:47 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
I believe I read or was told by a Dutch that the bikes you see on the street in the Netherlands are the crappy bikes. Many own quality bikes that they keep inside and use for serious rides.
It depends on your definition of 'serious'. Many have bikes that are suitable for important uses like working and errands, and perhaps some also have different bikes for fun purposes like club rides or sightseeing. Which ones are the more 'serious' ones?
Old 12-25-17, 06:08 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
It depends on your definition of 'serious'. Many have bikes that are suitable for important uses like working and errands, and perhaps some also have different bikes for fun purposes like club rides or sightseeing. Which ones are the more 'serious' ones?
Those showpony road racing bikes are just toys right?
Old 12-25-17, 08:42 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Those showpony road racing bikes are just toys right?
Yes, expensive toys. Which is fine.