Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 07-09-14, 08:41 AM
ROB DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS just received the replacement forks so I dropped by to take a peek before they are installed on our bikes. The color wasn't horrible and isn't really an issue with me, however, I'll see when it's been installed and if all the new parts align with my inner cycling Feng Shui. For me it's all about the functionality and safety of the forks and the lockout. I'm also getting a different stem installed to eliminate some neck stiffness and hand tingling that surface on my longer rides and plan to (eventually) upgrade my grips (Ergon GP2 or P-1 MG?) so I can't wait to see how this all works out.

A follow-up e-mail from Trek on the progress, issues and customer concerns (Q&A) of the recall would've been a great PR move. I'm sure this is a tough event for them with lots of crazy dynamics to try and sort and navigate, hopefully they've learned a few things and hopefully this won't happen again.

Bicycle Habitat has some good info on numb hands, I would also get some good padded cycling gloves, that helped me quite (30%) a bit.
https://bicyclehabitat.com/faq/frequently-asked-questions-fq176/how-can-i-prevent-numb-hands-when-riding-47.htm

Last edited by ROB DS; 07-09-14 at 08:48 AM. Reason: run on words
Old 07-09-14, 11:04 AM
PSYS

Bikes: '14 TREK 8.2 DS / '08 CANNONDALE System6 Team Edition

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good article. thanks for posting that!
Old 07-09-14, 06:16 PM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Firstly apologise for ****e camera phone pictures in a dark underground carpark .

Picked up both the 8.3 and the 8.4. Nothing to see on the 8.3 just a new skewer.

Here's the 2013 DS 8.4 ( Matte white ) with the new glossy fork

Much better lockout switch, not going to lose the lockout lever with this one.

Much better preload knob as well

Yes it's glossy compared to the matte but it doesn't stand out that much which is good. Besides the "mismatch" I'm pretty happy with the replacement. The LBS technician said it was definetly an upgrade from the Suntour NRX it replaced
Old 07-09-14, 09:02 PM
ZOOTOOZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grimbeaver
Well just picked up my 2012 DS 8.5 from the recall replacement and I am rather disappointed. I now have a high gloss black fork on a matte gray frame and no more remote lockout. The gloss white one looks decent on the wife's Neko SL but mine just looks out of place on the 8.5.
That settles it for me. I don't think either black or white goes with the metallic gray of the 2013 8.4 in Lava Black/Sparkling Silver, so i'm going to take my chances with the original fork. By the way, do you get to choose whether you want white or black?
Old 07-09-14, 10:00 PM
ZOOTOOZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I called Trek. They said have the shop resubmit the claim to get one with a remote lockout. As for the paint they said tough luck. Quoted a song and dance about they did the best the could to find a fork with neutral color options to match the best they could since Suntour is not participating in the recall and they are shouldering all the costs.
Can this be right? I wonder how Suntour gets away with "not participating". My understanding was that the CPSC required the recall, and since its a Suntour part, it seems to me they would have to participate. This leads me to believe this is a voluntary recall rather than a mandatory one. Does anyone know?

Last edited by ZOOTOOZ; 07-12-14 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 07-10-14, 06:54 AM
ROB DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camjr
If you want a nice compromise between a clean look and the options of bar ends, check out Ergon GP2 grips. The 2" integrated bar end is a nice clean look and I find I use that option much more than the normal paddle grip when riding my Fuji.

Cheers,
Old Glory has a detailed article (Caldwell) that rates the best 10 mountain bike grips and gives the riders some different options. It also has some pretty cool (helpful) illustrations that really clarify what is the best angle for the wrist with a traditional or ergonomic grip (148 degree angle) and how the correct positioning could alleviate pain. It compares the two Ergon Grips (GS1 and GP1) as well. When I get my bike back I'm going to recheck my Bonrager Satellite Elite grip, I don't think they are set at the correct angle for me.

https://oldglorymtb.com/top-10-best-mountain-bike-grips/

Last edited by ROB DS; 07-10-14 at 06:55 AM. Reason: word format issues after cut/paste?
Old 07-10-14, 08:26 AM
blue_cheese

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZOOTOOZ
Can this be right? I wonder how Suntour gets away with "not participating". My understanding was that the CPSC required the recall, and since its a Suntour part, it seems to me they would have to participate. This leads me to believe this is a voluntary recall rather than a manditory one. Does anyone know?
It is stated as Voluntary.... no need for deaths to trigger a congressional hearings to make them to it. Not pointing fingers at any other fine product manufacturers

Scott, Trek Recall Bicycles with SR Suntour Front Forks Due to Crash Hazard | CPSC.gov
Old 07-10-14, 11:16 AM
grimbeaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not see where it says voluntary. Either way my guess is from the CPSC point of view Trek is the 'manufacturer' and the one responsible for the recall. It is probably up to Trek to get their supplier to help or not. It would be the same thing for most parts on your car that are manufactured by a 3rd party but came on the vehicle when you bought it. Seems rather stupid on Suntour's part though as I'm sure Trek is going to take their business elsewhere now.

I do agree that it does feel like it's probably a better fork. And yes the preload adjustment is much easier. I'll just stick with the one I got for now, when I get the remote lockout one if the color is really still bothering me I'll have a friend paint it for me. The LBS seems very interested in making sure I'm happy so perhaps I could get them to tear it down for paint and then put it back together for me after.
Old 07-10-14, 12:38 PM
Hempdaddy

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.2 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROB DS
Old Glory has a detailed article (Caldwell) that rates the best 10 mountain bike grips and gives the riders some different options. It also has some pretty cool (helpful) illustrations that really clarify what is the best angle for the wrist with a traditional or ergonomic grip (148 degree angle) and how the correct positioning could alleviate pain. It compares the two Ergon Grips (GS1 and GP1) as well. When I get my bike back I'm going to recheck my Bonrager Satellite Elite grip, I don't think they are set at the correct angle for me.

https://oldglorymtb.com/top-10-best-mountain-bike-grips/
Thanks! I will check it out!
Old 07-11-14, 05:08 AM
schv

Bikes: 2011 Trek Montare, 2013 Trek DS 8.5, 2010 Kuota Kharma, 2014 Giant Simple 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding my 2013 DS 8.5 about 50 miles a week since I bought it and have had no issues with the iso-zone. I am a bit concerned about the recall as I am not willing to give up the remote lockout, and if my lbs can't assure me that the new fork will have it, I will have to wait until they can. Worse, I actually have two bikes affected - I also have a 2011 Montare that I have setup for pavement riding. Thinking about having the Montare done first since it gets ridden less this time of year and then once I'm happy with it I'll take the 8.5 in. I'll have to post some pics......
Old 07-11-14, 05:16 AM
Sunsanvil

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I called Trek. They said have the shop resubmit the claim to get one with a remote lockout.
I think I got your fork. JUST picked my 2013 8.4 from the shop and the guy was like "you got an upgrade: remote lockout!". LOL.

Seriously though, I am not impressed with this whole situation. Manufacturing defects of the original notwithstanding, the Vita just doesn't look as robust. The stanchions are noticeably smaller in diameter, there is less to the crown, and the action is stiff as heck (even with pre-load at its minimum). Between that and the color mismatch, my resale value has just plummeted....
Old 07-11-14, 05:20 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunsanvil
I think I got your fork. JUST picked my 2013 8.4 from the shop and the guy was like "you got an upgrade: remote lockout!". LOL.

Seriously though, I am not impressed with this whole situation. Manufacturing defects of the original notwithstanding, the Vita just doesn't look as robust. The stanchions are noticeably smaller in diameter, there is less to the crown, and the action is stiff as heck (even with pre-load at its minimum). Between that and the color mismatch, my resale value has just plummeted....
Pics please.
Old 07-11-14, 05:36 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by limbot
Picked up both the 8.3 and the 8.4.
I notice in your pics that your shop routed your front brake hose on the INSIDE, between the fork leg and the wheel. They did the same on mine. Is it just me, or should it have have been routed around the outside?
Old 07-11-14, 05:46 AM
limbot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I notice in your pics that your shop routed your front brake hose on the INSIDE, between the fork leg and the wheel. They did the same on mine. Is it just me, or should it have have been routed around the outside?
I noticed that too. I think that's how it goes with the Vitas. Can you have a look at your fork, where the cable routes inside the fork mine has a protective sticker which I assume is to protect the fork where it rubs, which again leads me to believe that's how it's supposed to be routed.
Old 07-11-14, 05:48 AM
grimbeaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well from what I can find online the Vita is about a $150 USD fork. The NRX seems to run around the same. I can't say I was ever real happy with the NRX though either. You say the Vita is too stiff but I couldn't get the NRX stiff enough. Hoping the weather will cooperate and I can get out this weekend and give the Vita a good test. We'll see maybe it's time I break down and buy a good fork, but I would rather not since I just do light recreational riding. Plus if I buy one for myself the wife might want one too which means costs will add up fast.

Mine is also routed that way. I'll have to look for the sticker you mention.
Old 07-11-14, 05:51 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I noticed that too. I think that's how it goes with the Vitas. Can you have a look at your fork, where the cable routes inside the fork mine has a protective sticker which I assume is to protect the fork where it rubs, which again leads me to believe that's how it's supposed to be routed.
I'll take another look tonight, but I THINK that the little plastic clamp can (maybe should?) be repositioned to the BACK of the fork, allowing the hose to be routed around the outside. Like this:

Having a hose on the inside just seems like a bad idea to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bikes-trx1_wt.jpg (40.0 KB, 614 views)

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 07-11-14 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 06:08 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't say I was ever real happy with the NRX though either. You say the Vita is too stiff but I couldn't get the NRX stiff enough.
I found the NRX's action to be quite plush, though I admit my wife's (on a Neko SL) was too compliant, but we chalked that up to the WSD using an (allegedly) light spring. Assuming her replacement is the same as mine this may work out in her favor in that instance at least. Picking hers up later today....

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 07-11-14 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 08:26 AM
limbot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Just had another look and the little sticker says "60mm travel". Coincidence that it's where the brake cable rubs or intentional? Strange though that 3 bike shops in 3 different countries route it the same way if it's not right
Old 07-11-14, 09:43 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
Just a quick heads-up to DS owners: if you otherwise love your bike etc., seems to me there's now a very worthwhile solution to the fork issues; not overly-expensive either.

Paragon | Rockshox | SRAM

Just a thought.
Old 07-11-14, 09:58 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
Beleive me I had my eye on that one long before this started. Was hoping someone would jump in first and report back before I dropped the cool $300.
Old 07-11-14, 10:06 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
Beleive me I had my eye on that one long before this started. Was hoping someone would jump in first and report back before I dropped the cool $300.
Yes, been discussed previously! If this old man were to switch to a front-suspension bike (and I well might the next year or so), I would change out the forks for this (Paragon) at point of sale, unless of course the bike came stock with it.
Old 07-11-14, 07:28 PM
limbot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
On another note since grips have been mentioned I've been running BBB ergosticks on my DS for a while. Love them, one of the best investments I've made on the bike. Spend most of my time on them rather than on the grips.

Last edited by limbot; 07-11-14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-11-14, 10:26 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
On another note since grips have been mentioned I've been running BBB ergosticks on my DS for a while. Love them, one of the best investments I've made on the bike. Spend most of my time on them rather than on the grips.

I really love the paint scheme on your bike and would like to see more pics of it, from various angles, including a top down view, showing what a rider sees as they sit on the bike.
Old 07-12-14, 01:42 AM
limbot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I really love the paint scheme on your bike and would like to see more pics of it, from various angles, including a top down view, showing what a rider sees as they sit on the bike.
Col sanders, have to see what I can find.

I originally went into the Lbs to buy a grey 8.3 but they didn't have my size in the 8.3. They upsold me on the better spec forks, gears and hydraulic brakes and the colour appealed to the missus as well and since she was paying for it as my birthday/stop smoking present who was I to complain. It's a ***** to keep clean if you're obsessive about those sort of things though (I'm kinda obsessive).

Here's one pic I've got at hand. Pipeline track Mount Wellington, Tassie

Old 07-12-14, 07:22 PM
limbot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Was just looking at my sons DS 8.3 with Suntour NEX front fork Wadya know.....
Same setup as the Vita and the cable routes on the inside of the fork (the fat cable, the one wrapped around the fork is his bike computer)

Last edited by limbot; 07-12-14 at 07:30 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.