Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Any decent workout videos for improving overall physique?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 09:41 PM
Kertrek

Bikes: Trek 7000, Specialized Allez & Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a pretty skinny body type, but since getting into cycling, I've neglected my upper body. My chest and shoulders aren't as impressive as when I got out of the military. Are there any decent workout videos, that will help improve my upper body? I've done P90X and Insanity some in the past. Those any good for giving my upper body some muscle?
Old 12-01-15, 11:12 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
What increases muscle mass is pretty well known: it's simply the standard bodybuilding technique of doing heavy sets, say 3 X 12, then 4 X 10, with the last set being at or just short of failure by the end. Start with what you can easily do and gradually increase the weights so you don't hurt yourself. You don't need videos, just a workout plan. If you aren't familiar with lifting technique there are gifs of everything you can think of on ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Internet. Plus many, many videos on youtube, but of varying quality.

For plans, try here:
Find A Plan

IME if you're doing a long workout of an hour or more, it's important to have ~10g protein both immediately before and after while you're still breathing hard.
Old 12-03-15, 11:22 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I enjoy strength training but have never really emphasized muscle mass in my training. That said, a friend commented that I look "beefier" when she saw me for the first time in over six months. During the intervening time I was training primarily under the P1 program:

https://gmb.io/p1/

The nice thing about parallettes is you can build your own for little cost if you're on a budget, though I must say I love my P-Barz wooden parallettes. The cost of P1 and a P-Barz set together is still less than a year's worth of gym membership. P1 will not only strengthen your upper body, but it will also work the heck out of your abs. As you progress to more difficult skills, the load on the abs increases.

If you make it all the way to the end of P1 and aren't satisfied with your muscle growth, you'll at least have developed great foundational strength in your entire upper body and core for other exercise programs.
Old 12-03-15, 12:32 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3 or 4 sets of push ups and handstand push ups every 2, 3 days with proteins should do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovk9mm-Y-i4
Old 12-03-15, 01:34 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speaking of handstand pushups, here's a good tutorial - and it's free:

https://gmb.io/handstand-push-up/

I prefer to do this stuff on the parallettes, because it's easier to do pushing movements, bent arm stand, etc. on them than on the floor, due to the greater ground clearance and neutral wrist position. OTOH, with the above approach, you don't need any equipment at all until you reach the advanced stage - eg. you've already got the true handstand pushup (no walls or anything else to lean on - completely freestanding) down and you want to be able to lower your head past your hands.

BTW, it took me 17 weeks of training before I was finally able to support my bodyweight with just my hands on the parallettes - no feet touching the ground. This kind of stuff does require some patience and persistence.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 12-03-15 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-03-15, 06:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Kertrek
I have a pretty skinny body type, but since getting into cycling, I've neglected my upper body. My chest and shoulders aren't as impressive as when I got out of the military. Are there any decent workout videos, that will help improve my upper body? I've done P90X and Insanity some in the past. Those any good for giving my upper body some muscle?
P90X and Insanity are not mass building programs. They are for fat burning, weight loss and conditioning. These programs are not meant to be done "forever", they are just meant to be followed for a couple of weeks to get a person in shape.... If you want to increase your mass and get stronger, then you need to eat more, and follow a more traditional weight lifting routine. Stick with basic compound exercises such as: chin ups, push ups, pull ups, dips, incline dumbbell press, standing overhead press, rows, dead lifts.