Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

whats you favroite bike helmet?im thinking maybe ill go bell..any advice

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 10-10-11, 02:32 PM
cervelo4me

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

its time for a new one so give me your advice...

Old 10-10-11, 02:44 PM
GP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try on a few and get one that fits your head shape best.

And doesn't make you look like a mushroom.

I like Limars. They sit a little lower on my head than Giros and have an adjustment knob.
Old 10-10-11, 02:47 PM
cervelo4me

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
thank you

Old 10-10-11, 02:48 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets are personal like shoes and saddles... not every helmet fits every head or a person's style. All helmets from cheapest WalMart to top end, protect your noggin. So any one you choose to wear is OK. Go for what is comfortable on your head and buy the most expensive you can afford.. As you know more expensive is just lighter and cooler (as in temperature control). I like Giro's Athlon helmet for both road and MTB. It's not the cheapest but is on sale frequently enough.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 10-10-11, 02:50 PM
NukeouT

Bikes: 1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Specialized now sells reflectorized helmets. While I use a Giro helmet now, I plan to buy a reflectorized one in the future.
Old 10-10-11, 04:01 PM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Specialized Echelon helmet that I've had for a few years that I like quite a bit. It does give you a bit of the "mushroom head" effect, but if you have a big head, I think most helmets will. The Echelon has quite a few large vents in the front that allow air to circulate, and the retention system works pretty well. I don't know if other manufacturer's do this as well, but Specialized stocks replacement pads, that you can purchase when the originals get all sweat stained and flat, and start to come apart as they usually do after a few years of riding. $5 for replacement pads, (even factoring in the cost of shipping), is quite a bit less than it would run for a new helmet, unless you had to have a new one for whatever reason.
Old 10-10-11, 04:41 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I've had good fit from Bell and Giro (which are the same company). They make good helmets in a variety of price ranges. I currently have 3 Giros (2 Indicators and a Transfer) and have had Bells in the past. As noted above, helmets protect regardless of price but the more you spend, the lighter and better ventilated they tend to be. Buy the one that fits comfortably. Everything else is secondary.
Old 10-10-11, 05:18 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
I really like my Giro Ionos, it feels lite on the head and is well vented, I picked it up at competitive cyclist for a hair over a hundred bucks shipped with the cc20ap (might be ccap20) coupon code. While bell and giro are technically the same company, I found the fit different between the two and much prefer Giro.For the mtn bike I use a giro xen.
Old 10-10-11, 05:26 PM
haaseg

Bikes: 2010 FUJI SL-1 Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which are the ones that have the straight vertical lines in the back? I hate that look - for some reason it reminds me of the statue of liberty when I see someone with their head titled down in that helmet.

[edit]those appear to be specialized helmets. Maybe they're great but that look makes me want to vomit. It looks like you're wearing a tiara on backwards or something[/edit]

Last edited by haaseg; 10-10-11 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-10-11, 05:59 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GP

I like Limars. They sit a little lower on my head than Giros and have an adjustment knob.
+1 on Limars.. Giro used to fit me the best for many years but about 5 years ago they changed there sizing.. Found Limars at my LBS and have never used anything but Limars since.. I have the Pro 104 and 911 helmet.. The 104 is still one of the lightest on the market.
Old 10-10-11, 06:38 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I went from a 500gram helmet to a 300gram helmet and enjoyed the lighter weight on those 8 hour days. It's not a huge deal, but if you're not totally strapped for cash getting the lighter helmet can be nice.

All 3 of the helmets we have at my household look stupid on me. I find it funny that the looks of the back of a specialized helmet could somehow be an issue. The clear solution is to not end up behind somebody else
Old 10-10-11, 08:14 PM
chefxian
5 Time Bike Path Champion

Bikes: BMC SLCO1, BMC RMO1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Our team got LG Diamond helmets this year. The features were nice but they looked kinda lame. I like Bell helmets as well as Specialized.
I got hit by a car on my Bell and it held up well. It was the Ghiasallo model.

Like the above all say it's preference. I think they are all tested the same to get the little ANSI sticker. Now its weight, looks and price.
Old 10-10-11, 08:34 PM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Prevail
Old 10-11-11, 12:15 AM
cptsilver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rudy Project helmets fit my weirdly shaped dome really well. All the other brands don't feel right to me.
Old 10-11-11, 12:40 AM
haaseg

Bikes: 2010 FUJI SL-1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
The clear solution is to not end up behind somebody else
It's when I'm passing that I get that up close look
Old 10-11-11, 08:01 AM
stugi79

Bikes: 2011 Giant Rapid 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP

I like Limars too. Nice and light with plenty of ventilation.
Old 10-11-11, 09:54 AM
bgross

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Helmets are personal like shoes and saddles... not every helmet fits every head or a person's style. All helmets from cheapest WalMart to top end, protect your noggin. So any one you choose to wear is OK. Go for what is comfortable on your head and buy the most expensive you can afford.. As you know more expensive is just lighter and cooler (as in temperature control). I like Giro's Athlon helmet for both road and MTB. It's not the cheapest but is on sale frequently enough.
+1 on fit & personal preference.
I lucked out in finding a helmet that fit me well and met my other preference, relatively inexpensive: Bell Alchera.
Since I was born with genes for tall instead of good-looking, I worry less about how it 'looks' on my head.

When it broke in a collision, I figured it had proved itself adequate for the task and replace it with another just like it.

Happy shopping.
Old 10-11-11, 02:00 PM
robertkat

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TJClay
Specialized Prevail
I swear by Specialized's S-Works helmet. Fits perfect enough that I can forget I'm wearing it. Saved my noggin twice now. I tried a Prevail, but they seem to fit differently than the S-Works, and actually cause some deal of discomfort. Went back to an S-Works, which is supposedly being discontinued next year. Bell helmets are nice too if your head is more long or egg shaped than round.
Old 10-11-11, 02:42 PM
Ray R

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorites are the Briko Twinner, Limar F-111, and LAS Haxial. The Haxial has bug screen over the front vents, which are very useful if you've ever had a bee fly into a vent. I like the looks of the vents on the Catlike helmets, but the shape is all wrong for my head, even the XL size.

For my next helmet I'm going to try the new Orbea Odin I saw Spanish riders wearing during the Vuelta. It looks like something that would be worn by the Klingon National Team.
Old 10-11-11, 05:33 PM
Lesper4

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two Bell helments that fit great and dont break the bank. I have no idea what my MTN helmet is but my road bike is a belt swept. Cannondale also have helmets that are new this year. Love the look of CatLike and Giro but i cant understand the price. Never had trouble having one fit my head?