Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are Wally World Mountain Bikes Any Good?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-01-14, 04:34 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts

Gentlefolk...Today makes 2 months no smoking and I'm doing my best to stay occupied, busy and interested in bicycling...I've done about all I can do snuffing up my old Giant OCR Road Bike (within reason) but am left wanting...wanting something I can just go joy ride the hood with and head out back where there's no traffic to dodge and yes...maybe even get a little dirty off road...as I dunno....just an option to enjoy VS the compulsion that strikes me when I swing my cleated foot over the OCR and anything less than heart bursting effort seems like....well?...less....and not even an option...am I alone with that? LOL!

Anyways...I've been canvasing craigslist seeking a possible great deal on a slightly used mountain bike to add as an option to my OCR Road Bike...and to not much avail...it seems many want a good penny even if it's a 5-10 year old mountain bike (of any noteworthy brand name like specialized or trek)....I do have an email out to one seller who posted up a 2013 Specialized X-Caliber 7 he claims is in like new condition and appears so by the pix...and he wants $600 for that...and while it seems like a decent deal?...okay...maybe just a "fair" deal?...I'm hesitant to spend even that on something I'm not certain will quench my desire or if I'll even like it (or not)...so....I know they are probably the lowest of the low as far as new bikes go but?....it sure seems and looks like that in many instances?...they are putting out a lot of bike for chump change prices.

What say you all?....are they a total waste of time and money?....or a good deal for a guy like me who just wants to ride and see (so to speak)?

I'm all ears and T.I.A. Bill.
Old 11-01-14, 04:49 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
2013 Specialized X-Caliber 7
That's a Trek not Specialized for any used MTB, after fit, condition is key, a 2-3 year old lightly used bike would be better than a 6 month old heavily used one, but also MTB technology moves on very quickly, anything over a couple of years will be noticeably dated.

For W*M bikes just from their frontpage Mountain Bikes : Shop Mountain Bikes at Walmart.com of MTB's it's clear they are all low end, fine for just riding, but don't expect to enjoy them off road, or expect them to last long off road.
Old 11-01-14, 04:52 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
I'm betting not. Some of the other posters could elaborate on that with some detail.

I'd look around at other stuff out there if you are thinking of investing in a Mountain Bike.
Old 11-01-14, 04:53 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Originally Posted by jimc101
That's a Trek not Specialized for any used MTB, after fit, condition is key, a 2-3 year old lightly used bike would be better than a 6 month old heavily used one, but also MTB technology moves on very quickly, anything over a couple of years will be noticeably dated.

For W*M bikes just from their frontpage Mountain Bikes : Shop Mountain Bikes at Walmart.com of MTB's it's clear they are all low end, fine for just riding, but don't expect to enjoy them off road, or expect them to last long off road.
Thanks and yes...you are correct...it's a trek and not "specialized"...sorry...I think I looked at a few hundred used MB's online and got confused...this is the one...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00K0K_elJ263bbmet_600x450.jpg (34.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-01-14, 05:29 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
No, they are not.

If you want a decent recreational-level mtb that will actually be useable off-road and actually last, go to your LBS and purchase something from one of the 'major' mfgs. For example (there are others) Giant, Specialized and Trek all produce decent-quality bikes -- hardtails with functioning front suspension -- that will serve well for light-duty for a minimal outlay.
Example: Talon 27.5 4 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

If I were you, I wouldn't buy a used mtb off Craigslist unless/until I had developed some good ideas as to what to watch out for in the way of worn-out parts, cracked frames, etc.
Old 11-01-14, 07:25 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
No. They are designed to look like bicycles and provide enough of the bicycle experience to make it possible to sell them. They are not worth buying for long term usage. Once they start needing adjustments and repairs, they quickly start costing more to keep running than they are worth.
Old 11-01-14, 07:40 PM
EvilWeasel

Bikes: Trekalized 7.Sequoia Elite+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The difference between a Wally World bike and the Trek I built up,is the same as the difference between a disposable Bic razor and a pearl handled, nickle plated straight razor.

Last edited by EvilWeasel; 11-01-14 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-01-14, 07:46 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
...... If you want a decent recreational-level mtb that will actually be useable off-road and actually last, go to your LBS and purchase something from one of the 'major' mfgs. ...........
If I were you, I wouldn't buy a used mtb off Craigslist unless/until I had developed some good ideas as to what to watch out for in the way of worn-out parts, cracked frames, etc.
+1 I agree. Shop the local bicycle shop.
Old 11-01-14, 08:30 PM
ol geezer

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Masi CX, Cannondale CAAD X

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure this is applicable to your situation but my LBS also rents mountain and road bikes. At the end of each season (think: now) they sell off their used MTBs and they'll buy new ones next spring for their rental fleet.

Sure, they've been used but I know my LBS takes care of their rentals - they hope the renters turn into buyers. You could probably get a good brand-name MTB at a good price.
Old 11-01-14, 08:59 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Congrats on quitting smoking! There are two bike shops I know of out here that specialize in reconditioning older bikes. End result? You get a quality, reliable ride for the same or less than a Dept store bike.
Old 11-01-14, 09:01 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
A friend of mine's daughter bought a mountain bike from Dick's with her birthday money a few years ago, on sale for $280 I think. He grabbed it to go for a ride with me one morning. It was a great looking bike, but all of the components were bottom of the barrel and the thing was just miserable to ride. Just seemed like nothing really worked very well. It couldn't shift through all the gears, it wouldn't stay in gear; I did the best I could with it to get it dialed in and made it better but couldn't get it to work to my satisfaction. If money is an issue keep an eye on Nashbar, Performance, and Bikes Direct. Especially Nashbar; sometimes when they do the "Extra % Off" coupons the deals are just silly. Don't count out your local bike shops. They are putting all the leftovers on sale now too. In Shimano mountain components try to find something with an Alivio group set or above. I think Alivio is only 8 speed right now but its a good performing component set. I just got a bike from Nashbar last year for my daughter with Alivio and it worked really good so I upgraded my old 1993 Deore mountain bike to Alivio and its worked good on that bike too. Good luck!
Old 11-01-14, 10:06 PM
AbsurdChalk
Dead Fly

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Bianchi Ibex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
A friend of mine's daughter bought a mountain bike from Dick's with her birthday money a few years ago, on sale for $280 I think. He grabbed it to go for a ride with me one morning. It was a great looking bike, but all of the components were bottom of the barrel and the thing was just miserable to ride. Just seemed like nothing really worked very well. It couldn't shift through all the gears, it wouldn't stay in gear; I did the best I could with it to get it dialed in and made it better but couldn't get it to work to my satisfaction. If money is an issue keep an eye on Nashbar, Performance, and Bikes Direct. Especially Nashbar; sometimes when they do the "Extra % Off" coupons the deals are just silly. Don't count out your local bike shops. They are putting all the leftovers on sale now too. In Shimano mountain components try to find something with an Alivio group set or above. I think Alivio is only 8 speed right now but its a good performing component set. I just got a bike from Nashbar last year for my daughter with Alivio and it worked really good so I upgraded my old 1993 Deore mountain bike to Alivio and its worked good on that bike too. Good luck!
I thought deore was good stuff?
Old 11-01-14, 10:41 PM
jwarner
Fahrradfahrer

Bikes: n+1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on quitting smoking.

The LBS is a good option, but if you are looking for a lower price point for entry, you might try your local bicycle co-op.

Here is a list of bicycle co-ops from the bike collectives wiki: Community Bicycle Organizations - Bike Collectives Wiki. Scroll down to find the US.

You might also do a quick search online for you local bicycle co-op, as I doubt they are all listed on the wiki.

The one I work in usually has a lot of older, but very serviceable mountain bikes at good prices ($60-$140), and if you don't find a complete one put together you like, we help you scavenge a frame and the parts out of our bins to assemble something that can be all yours. Everything is more or less used, but all serviceable if we kept it.
Old 11-01-14, 10:53 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
Thanks and yes...you are correct...it's a trek and not "specialized"...sorry...I think I looked at a few hundred used MB's online and got confused...this is the one...

Sounds like you are getting to the end of the CL hunting? Cant fault you for wanting to just hit Wallydom and spring for a new one. I'd stick it out a bit longer and maybe even look at a few of the locally listed MTBs on CL just to see what you can find. Some of the wally bikes are disposable, just use them and throw them out to the curb whereas the reliable name brands are quite repairable and great support resources.
Old 11-01-14, 10:59 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No. Also, no. They are extremely gimmicky and have incredibly cheap front forks (and worse yet, junk rear suspension). It's a shame, because within their pricepoint, they could probably offer a decent cheap mtb but they try to give their bikes too many bells and whistles and turn them into complete garbage. Some of the department store bikes are just passing (Schwinn Trailway, for example) but even then you are limited to one-size-fits-all. No, stay far, far, far away from the Wal*mart mtbs. Any 90's era used mtb in decent condition would be half the price and a better ride.
Old 11-02-14, 03:58 AM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AbsurdChalk
I thought deore was good stuff?
Deore is good stuff, but the poster is comparing current Alivio to 20+ year old Deore. +1 that Alivio is a good entry-level workhorse group. My old steel MTB is equipped with a mix of Deore and Alivio components and they work great and play well together.
Old 11-02-14, 07:09 AM
Jinkster

Well?....thanks folks!...so many of you pooh=poohed the wally world bikes that I wrote them off a few posts back so?...that ain't happening and again?...thank you!..."So I'm Done With Wally World!"

2ndly?...after expanding my CL search to "all of south florida" and going bleary eye'd reviewing thousands of listings?...I've concluded that the internet is no longer a place to..."Get a Great Deal"...as it seems this same search tool has enabled all the sellers to discern exactly what their bikes are worth and then list them at top dollar if not a touch more to compensate for..."The Bicker Factor"...and as a result seems more a game of "suckers looking for suckers" rather than a land of great deals...with what seemed to be an obvious dash of bike thief rings thrown in for good measure...."So I'm Done With CL!"

And Lastly?...I'm sitting here laughing at myself this morning as to just how neurotically OCD I can and do get when I get bored and/or stressed...with my latest obsession (that almost turned into a compulsive "impulse buy") evidenced right here as I'm left asking myself...

"What were you thinking?" LOL!

I mean here I am living in one of the flattest states in the nation and what am I going after now?...a "Mountain Bike"?...and yeah...sure....we have some dirt paths going around lakes and woods by my house where having a fat tired bike with some suspension would be cool but?...I'm also still a 56 year old physically trashed diabetic of a former Marine who's been in so many motoX and sport bike motorcycle accidents that he hurts so bad some mornings that my most popular breakfast is a large bowl of aleve with a splash of milk so what business do I have with a rough riding mountain bike on choppy, beat me up trails? LOL!

"So I'm Over Mountain Bikes"

at least until I have another episode of acute OCD. LOL!

And with that?...I suppose I owe you all an apology for having wasted your time...and if I ever do get "The Mountain Bike Bug" again?...I'll just jump on my Giant OCR3 RB and go pedal down one of the many crumbly roads in my hood...that oughta cure me! LOL!

Thanks again, Ride Safe and L8R, Bill.
Old 11-02-14, 07:21 AM
AST236

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a waste of time at all. It's 7am on a Sunday morning and I"m having my coffee and reading a bike forum. In my garage is a 15 year old Trek 800 that I bought yesterday for $75 for my daughter to tinker with. She wants a bike to take to college and wants to learn how to do basic maintenance on it. The bike is in great shape, not missing any parts and functions pretty well. With a minimum of care, it should last another 15 years..........ride safe and have fun.............
Old 11-02-14, 07:43 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by AST236
Not a waste of time at all. It's 7am on a Sunday morning and I"m having my coffee and reading a bike forum. In my garage is a 15 year old Trek 800 that I bought yesterday for $75 for my daughter to tinker with. She wants a bike to take to college and wants to learn how to do basic maintenance on it. The bike is in great shape, not missing any parts and functions pretty well. With a minimum of care, it should last another 15 years..........ride safe and have fun.............
The old Trek 800-anything's were solid, quality bikes. I've been thinking of targeting one for the nearby trails.
Old 11-02-14, 07:47 AM
OldsCOOL

Living in Florida and going nutso searching mountain bikes. I cant believe I didnt see the irony in that.
Old 11-02-14, 07:58 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I know you Gyrenes give up easy; but, don't give up just yet.

Start looking for something along the Specialized Hardrock line - hard frame and solid fork.

You will be amazed at how well it performs - after all, isn't that what you rode everywhere as a kid?

p.s. Some of my best friends are Marines, as long as they behave ---- from an old Army Combat Medic

Last edited by Wanderer; 11-02-14 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-02-14, 08:41 AM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Living in Florida and going nutso searching mountain bikes. I cant believe I didnt see the irony in that.
Irony Indeed...but believe it or not?...they are quite popular down here because unless you are in or at least "close too" a major town or city?...bike lanes are non-existent and even in many housing development areas?...even sidewalks are optional...so chances are...no matter where you go?...unless it's a well chosen, predetermined and carefully planned route?...there are so many sections that are so 700x25 unfriendly that you'll find yourself either turning around and riding in circles or getting off and walking your bike over certain areas....or risk folding a wheel.

Now I love my old Giant OCR3 since getting it all snuffed up...and on the smoother roads it rolls like a steel ball on oiled glass but my options for suitable routes are severely limited and I'm quickly growing bored of the same old same old....as I watch most of the local riders in my area enjoying themselves (and the versatility) of what seems a far more popular preference towards MB's and flat bar CX's...bikes that can leave the pavement and make their way through the often encountered patches of clumpy grass laying on sugar sand....and I better stop there before I wind up shopping mountain bikes in south florida again! LOL!

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I now you Gyrenes give up easy; but, don't give up just yet.

Start looking for something along the Specialized Hardrock line - hard frame and solid fork.

You will be amazed at how well it performs - after all, isn't that what you rode everywhere as a kid?

p.s. Some of my best friends are Marines, as long as they behave ---- from an old Army Combat Medic
"Give up"?...ahhh....I dunno...maybe more like...."Adapt & Overcome"?

Because where my mind is drifting right now is....

Remaining loyal to my Giant OCR3 but maybe adapting a more all-terrain friendly wheel/tire combo...but something tells me that "THAT" would come dramatically close to the cost of juts pulling the trigger on a full blown CX or MB and really?...now that I've typed my way through all this here?...maybe it should've been a CX type bike I should've been looking for all this time
Old 11-02-14, 08:49 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Buttttttttt, there's nothing wrong with the OCR............................. that a Hardrock wouldn't fix....
Old 11-02-14, 08:52 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
NO NO NO! No walmart mountain bikes, I've stripped one to the frameset and rebuilt with quality parts.. and the frameset still caused issues. You'll find something nice used on CL, just say no to box store bikes.
Old 11-02-14, 08:57 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I now you Gyrenes give up easy; but, don't give up just yet.

Using my 1998 SHR as a trainer now, many, many thousands of great miles on this bike. It is a great "get-around-town" bike. With a rear rack and some panniers - go to grocery, hardware store. Add some lights for fun night riding. A "mtn bike" is likely one of the most versatile bikes around, and the older SHR's are sort of a classic, IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.